Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have surgery scheduled for May 20th. I have lost 52 lbs on my pre op diet. Since getting my surgery date 1 1/2 weeks ago I'm on this crazy food binge!!! I haven't gained any lbs back, but everything is out the window!! So today I'm liquid fasting on Protein Shakes to start over. But already ate 10 potato chips! :/ why am I doing this to my self!! Did I mention I also being lazy in the work out dept. I went from being a pre op rock star, to a hot mess!!!!!!!! Help!

Not an unusual reaction...I called it my last hurrah! Ate Ben & Jerry's the night before surgery, which was not a very good idea. When I had surgery, we didn't do a pre-op diet. Just get right back on the bandwagon. Good luck to you on your surgery!

Sheila :)

Edited by smwiller

The pre-op diet is strict and it's a struggle for most, considering it's generally a week to two weeks of liquids and purees prior to surgery. It seems to me that what you're feeling is perfectly normal. The closer it gets to your surgery date the more stress you are feeling. Just keep reminding yourself that you're doing this to regain control of your health and your life. You wouldn't be human if you didn't stumble once in a while. So, spend a day or two getting your 'food binges' out of your system and then set yourself on the straight and narrow. The end result will be so worth the struggles. :) I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks everyone, feeling really bad about myself. Tomorrow's a new day!

Thanks everyone, feeling really bad about myself. Tomorrow's a new day!

Hi I just want to say to you you are in good company. You are amongst peers who have been there and done even worse lol. The important thing to remember is that every day brings with it the opportunity to start over again. You will be just fine, refocus your effort, stop beating yourself up about doing what you did, and concentrate on your purpose for being here, to have the surgery and kick start the beginning of your new life!!! You are a beautiful young lady who's ready to transform. Let it happen and if you stumble along the way we are here for you. We will support you, encourage you, and give you the boost you need to get you back on track. I pray that you will find your purpose and receive the strength needed to pave the way to a new you, God bless.

I think most of us have our moments of weakness. Just try your best to keep your mind on the right track. You will be okay.

I wasn't put on a liquid diet prior to my surgery but a ketonic diet. High Protein no carbs for 2 weeks. Doctor wanted the liver to shrink prior to surgery. I cheated. The Saturday before my surgery me & my son did the last hurrah at an Indian food buffet. Went out with style. I'm wondering if doctors do the Protein Shakes prior to surgery because that's what your going to eat for 2 weeks after. I's say your not a screw up. Your human. Just get back on the old horse and start again. Losing 50+ lbs before your surgery I say Bravo. Today is day 6 post op for me. You can do it

Thanks everyone, my surgeon's office just called. My insurance was approved!!! Yay I have been doing 2 Protein Shakes a day, with a small dinner consisting of 3oz lean Protein and 6oz veggies. Since January. Yesterday I got back on the horse!!! I'm excited and lost another 4lbs in the past two days!!!!! <<<<<< I'm one happy girl!!

I also forgot to mention, with the insurance I have if I gained even one pound they would cancel my surgery!!!!!!!

That is great news! Just keep doing what you're supposed to do and before you know it, you'll be looking back a year from now with a huge smile on your slimmer face! :)

My psychologist said this is called the "last supper" syndrome and is perfectly normal, expected, and experienced by many of her patients.

I waiting for BCBS approval but tentatively scheduled for bypass on June 9th. Haven't started liquid diet yet, but the psych said to enjoy my "last supper" before liquids, and believe me I willI!!!

For I look at my surgery as finally having a divorce from my love affair with certain foods that I have allowed to control me!

Take care.

@@masonjk38 My date is June 9th, too. My doc doesn't require a preop diet except Clear Liquids 1 day before for patients under 40 BMI. but, I have to quite having those food funerals or I'm going to gain before I get there!

My psychologist said this is called the "last supper" syndrome and is perfectly normal, expected, and experienced by many of her patients. I waiting for BCBS approval but tentatively scheduled for bypass on June 9th. Haven't started liquid diet yet, but the psych said to enjoy my "last supper" before liquids, and believe me I willI!!! For I look at my surgery as finally having a divorce from my love affair with certain foods that I have allowed to control me! Take care.

I'm June 9 too. But I'm going for the sleeve. No pre op diet for me yet either....

I remember when I got my surgery date, I lost total control over my eating. Not that I had much control before but I went on several food funerals. I ate like never before, a lot and only the best! I gained about 10 pounds!!!! I had no pre-op diet.

So in one hand I am happy I pigged out for a few weeks (months?) before my surgery because no jokes, this is for real now, I really can not eat much and I do not enjoy food anymore. Maybe I enjoy the first few bites and that's it. On the other hand I wish I had 10 pounds less to lose now...

Were you worried at all that your insurance would deny you because of weight gain? I'm a little worried if my clinic weights me in the will not do the surgery.

I finished the 3 month trial and I'm tentatively scheduled for June 9th; just waiting on BCBS insurance approval.