Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can honestly say I'm not even a little bit scared about surgery. What terrifies me the most is I am self pay and my insurance doesn't cover a dime of it. If something goes wrong after the fact, or there is a problem of any kind, I am SCREWED. Insurance won't cover it! We are sacrificing a lot paying out of pocket.

I would love to hear any stories from self payers. I just need a little confidence that everything will be fine!!!

I can honestly say I'm not even a little bit scared about surgery. What terrifies me the most is I am self pay and my insurance doesn't cover a dime of it. If something goes wrong after the fact, or there is a problem of any kind, I am SCREWED. Insurance won't cover it! We are sacrificing a lot paying out of pocket.

I would love to hear any stories from self payers. I just need a little confidence that everything will be fine!!!

It'll help us a bit if you give us some info.

First, which surgery are you getting? Then, how old are you and how much weight do you have to lose? Do you have any health troubles currently?

I felt the same way. No fears or worries whatsoever about the surgery or preop diet or post op diet, just about potential post op costs. You're right, complications would have been financially devastating. Would have lost my job, my house, everything. Besides the money, I worried who would take care of my dogs and cats and horses if I were laid up in the Hospital? I went back and forth with it, but finally said "f.... K it" that's what bankruptcy and friends are for.

Fortunately everything has gone well for me and I'm incredibly thrilled with my decision. My PCP and OB/Gyn have both been supportive with followup care. I'm 4 1/2 months out and feeling pretty normal. Had an egg for Breakfast, Protein shake mid morning then went to a baby shower and a Kentucky Derby party where I snacked on veggies, spinach dip, BBQ pork, and even drank 1/2 bloody mary (the mint julips were way too sweet). Never even looked at the desert table. Life is good!

I have had some non-surgery related medical issues since VSG that has racked up about $4000 worth of bills (I have a really high deductible). But this is certainly a manageable number compare to surgical complications.

I was self-pay and had the same fears. If you look at the incidence of complications as a percentage, it really is very low.

I had no complications, no issues - life is good for me now. This was the best decision I could have ever made.

Best of luck to you!

My new Obama-care compliant policy (effective 1/1/14) is not allowed to refuse to pay for treatment of pre-existing conditions. Being in a state of having had WLS is considered a pre-existing condition, so my policy reads that WLS is not covered, but that revisions/corrections to it ARE covered if they remedy an immediately life-threatening situation.

I checked all of this out pretty thoroughly before heading to MX for self-pay surgery in late 2013 :). I've also rehearsed in my head what I will write or say if I sense that some health provider is going to try giving me a hard time about where I had my surgery... I'm mostly being humorous here, but I've resolved to answer "The Greater San Diego Metro Area," since on many maps and in many directories, San Diego/Tijuana ARE listed as such :)!

Best to you!

I was self-pay, and like McButterpants, I had no complications. Like she said, the likelihood of complications is very low. I knew it is still possible I could have some... but I went ahead without even a hesitation. Best decision I ever made!

Thank you all so much! I am moving forward with the sleeve. I would like to lose 130 lbs. I have PCOS and was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, with climbing blood pressure and cholesterol.

I've done all of the pre-op requirements, the last being the EGD scope. They called me on Friday to let me know that everything was fine with that and I could call Monday to schedule a final appt with the surgeon, pre-op testing, and the surgery! This is really happening! I really do feel much better after reading your replies!

You said "...just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, with climbing blood pressure..." I was diagnosed with the same years ago, and now I'm off insulin and all BP meds. I was able to cut way back on the insulin immediately after surgery, and took the last dose of it 6 weeks after surgery. For several months I did not take any oral meds for my diabetes, but my blood sugars were just a little higher than my PCP wanted (like 140, fasting, consistently) so now I'm taking metformin extended release 500 mg, 1 tab per day.

The thing I found weird is that my need for insulin went WAY down as of the FIRST post-op day! Before I'd had time to lose any weight. But I'll take it!

Best wishes!

Thank you all so much! I am moving forward with the sleeve. I would like to lose 130 lbs. I have PCOS and was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, with climbing blood pressure and cholesterol.

I've done all of the pre-op requirements, the last being the EGD scope. They called me on Friday to let me know that everything was fine with that and I could call Monday to schedule a final appt with the surgeon, pre-op testing, and the surgery! This is really happening! I really do feel much better after reading your replies!

Is there a reason that you dont want to do gastric bypass?? Did you do a lot of research on the sleeve?? Sometimes..a few yrs later.. people come back to get the bypass...im just looking at how much you want to lose ... you r diabetic as well...do you have GERD? OHHH i hope i didnt sound too negative and nor meant to confuse you...there r alot of people getting the sleeve..but from my research not enough long term studies of it and as i stated seems that many come back to get bypass.. i went straight to bypass...am almost y weeks out....no complications... im Canadian and think Mexicos hospital and staff provide wayyy better service and hospitality than what we get here. Good luck!!

Hi kerweav, I had my surgery in Mexico and was self pay too. Things went great, I was also very worried about complications but if I had had any problems the hospital and the doctor would have taken great care of me. Even after getting back home to the states I didn't have a primary care doctor. I didn't see a doctor until my third month after surgery and I had taken myself off of all of my medications and the c-pap machine too. After my first visit with my new doctor I was told everything looked great but after blood work I did still have high blood pressure. Hoping with more weight loss that will go down too. Keep a positive attitude and just take things as they come, don't stress yourself out over something that may never happen.

My new Obama-care compliant policy (effective 1/1/14) is not allowed to refuse to pay for treatment of pre-existing conditions. Being in a state of having had WLS is considered a pre-existing condition, so my policy reads that WLS is not covered, but that revisions/corrections to it ARE covered if they remedy an immediately life-threatening situation.

I checked all of this out pretty thoroughly before heading to MX for self-pay surgery in late 2013 :). I've also rehearsed in my head what I will write or say if I sense that some health provider is going to try giving me a hard time about where I had my surgery... I'm mostly being humorous here, but I've resolved to answer "The Greater San Diego Metro Area," since on many maps and in many directories, San Diego/Tijuana ARE listed as such :)!

Best to you!

It's the "life threatening situation" clause that the insurance companies will use to screw us over. That means they don't have to pay for diagnostics or procedures for complications like GERD or balloon dilation for a stricture or even a small leak that can be managed with antibiotics and drains because they are not "immediately life threatening".