Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ganta (Austin), Dr. Kim (Dallas)

I'm pretty excited, I'm going to a seminar tomorrow in Austin hosted by Dr. Sashidhar Ganta. I also have an appointment with Dr. Kim in Dallas soon.

Anyone have experience with either of these doctors? I will be self pay, and hope to have surgery in July.

One question I suggest you ask about, is how many surgeries each doctor performs in a day. I have heard very different stories about how many Dr. Kim does in a day. He was not my doctor, so I don't really know.

I am in Austin and I checked out Dr Gantas website recently. Not saying he's not a good doctor, but it turned me off a bit that he had specials listed on his website. Maybe I'm just really picky, but I've never liked the idea of a doctor running specials. Their work should speak for itself. That's just my own pet peeve though.

I personally am using Dr Seger in San Antonio. He has an amazing reputation and his office staff is wonderful. I am self pay as well. I might be paying a little more, but I very much trust my surgeon.

I didn't use these guys but Dr. Duperier in San Antonio is awesome. Check out bmioftexas.com. I was sleeved on the 21st. I've had several questions. He says to email him. So, I do. And I always hear back from him right away. I did self-pay, too. They accept CareCredit.

I am in Austin and I checked out Dr Gantas website recently. Not saying he's not a good doctor, but it turned me off a bit that he had specials listed on his website. Maybe I'm just really picky, but I've never liked the idea of a doctor running specials. Their work should speak for itself. That's just my own pet peeve though. I personally am using Dr Seger in San Antonio. He has an amazing reputation and his office staff is wonderful. I am self pay as well. I might be paying a little more, but I very much trust my surgeon.

And, Dr. Seger and Dr. Duperier are partners!! Both great guys! @@knitlil09 Try to get your surgery at Foundation S Hospital. I've had several hospital stays around town and the staff at FSH are, by far, THE BEST

I will definitely be looking into other Austin and Dallas options, also. As an R.N., the thing that attracted me to Dr. Ganta is the fact that he's fellowship trained; I feel this makes a huge difference in a surgeon's skills and precision. Also, when I first started looking into this, I was considering the DS, which he performs. (But I have since decided against that). As for Dr. Kim, he was recommended by a family member in Dallas, and since I'll be there next weekend, I figured I'd go for a consultation and check it out. I've been researching this on and off for years, so it'll be nice to talk to a doctor face to face, no matter who I choose in the end.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

And, Dr. Seger and Dr. Duperier are partners!! Both great guys! @@knitlil09 Try to get your surgery at Foundation S Hospital. I've had several hospital stays around town and the staff at FSH are, by far, THE BEST

Yes, Dr Seger and Dr D are partners, both amazing! Dr Seger took my lap band out about 3 years ago in an emergency surgery. It was done at Foundation Surgical and I agree, best hospital experience I've ever had. I've already confirmed with him that I will be at the same hospital for my sleeve. I think they actually schedule all self pays there because they seem to have some deal with them to help reduce the hospital charge.

And just so everyone knows... They are very attractive. My aunt came to visit in the hospital and when Dr D came in wearing his scrubs her jaw dropped. Mind you- my aunt is super skinny and she was like... Uh.., is that your doctor?? What else does he work on? LOL it was so funny.

No matter who you choose, we are all here to support you! I wish, for you, a great surgeon that you can talk to and feel comfy talking to. Good luck!

I'm a patient of Dr. Gantas here in Austin. I was sleeved on 1/14/14 and I could not be happier. Dr. G is so supportive and knowledgable. He has been chief of surgery all over the world literally. I attend a weight loss group monthly here in Austin and I would say he is one of the most respected doctors for professionalism and bedside manner before and after surgery here in the bariatric community. I attribute a large part of my success to his struck rigiman. I could not be more great flu to him. I was lucky and did not endure a single problem post op, but a lot of my friends at the weight loss meetings who see him and did have problems post op say he is very good at aggressively treating any issues that would arise. Also when you call after hours and leave a message he personally calls you back. I actually did this on a Sunday a week after surgery. It really impresses me how involved with patient care he is. Good luck in your decision.

I'm a patient of Dr. Gantas here in Austin. I was sleeved on 1/14/14 and I could not be happier. Dr. G is so supportive and knowledgable. He has been chief of surgery all over the world literally. I attend a weight loss group monthly here in Austin and I would say he is one of the most respected doctors for professionalism and bedside manner before and after surgery here in the bariatric community. I attribute a large part of my success to his struck rigiman. I could not be more great flu to him. I was lucky and did not endure a single problem post op, but a lot of my friends at the weight loss meetings who see him and did have problems post op say he is very good at aggressively treating any issues that would arise. Also when you call after hours and leave a message he personally calls you back. I actually did this on a Sunday a week after surgery. It really impresses me how involved with patient care he is. Good luck in your decision.

Sunny,

I have decided to go with Dr. Ganta! His seminar was very informative, and my one-on-one consult was wonderful. I had a consult with Dr. Kim, too. While I know he's more than competent as a surgeon - he told me himself how skilled he is ;^) - I did not have the instant rapport that I did with Dr. Ganta. Dr. G seems so concerned and invested in my personal success, and I know that if I'm putting forth my best effort, he will help me tailor my follow-up so that I can get the most out of my sleeve. He was so patient and I never once felt rushed or intimidated by him. I look forward to working with him - July 1st can't get here fast enough!

I'm so glad that you chose Dr. G, I think you will really be pleased with his skills. He is really a great doctor. I have an appointment with him tomorrow. It will be my fourth follow up since surgery. Post op you will see him every 6 weeks with the sleeve. Good luck on your journey and congratulations.

Sunny,

I have decided to go with Dr. Ganta! His seminar was very informative, and my one-on-one consult was wonderful. I had a consult with Dr. Kim, too. While I know he's more than competent as a surgeon - he told me himself how skilled he is ;^) - I did not have the instant rapport that I did with Dr. Ganta. Dr. G seems so concerned and invested in my personal success, and I know that if I'm putting forth my best effort, he will help me tailor my follow-up so that I can get the most out of my sleeve. He was so patient and I never once felt rushed or intimidated by him. I look forward to working with him - July 1st can't get here fast enough!