Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5+ Week Stall - Extremely Frustrated HELP!

I had my sleeve on Match 25th and have lost (15 pre-surgery / 10 post). I've lost more weight prior to having the surgery done and it's been 5.5 weeks where I have completely stalled and have not lost anything since the 1st week after surgery. I've heard of the famous 3 week stall but 5, going on 6 weeks.... I'm so frustrated.

I get 20 grams of Fiber in using the tasteless fiber in my H20 and drink the recommended 64oz each day. I've been doing T25 workouts and eating just Protein (eggs, chicken, lean meats). I cannot figure it out. There was a point where I notice jeans fitting better, so thought it must be muscle gain but now I'm feeling bloated and no difference at all. I'm ready to give up.

To go through the surgery, give up starch, fruit, alcohol, soda, sweets, even vegetables for 5.5 weeks I would expect 15 pound weight loss without even having the surgery.

I'm hoping someone else has gone through this, looking for hope or advise. Was really excited to start this new journey but now feeling frustrated.

Hi Mary,

Welcome to the forums as I see this was your first post. I'd suggest you ask your doctor and get a medical explaination for this. However the one thing I've noticed is that my stalls can come and I can usually attribute a large loss or a stall to either too much sodium and Water or not enough sodium and Water. When I average out my losses they seem more stable with the obvious exception of the water retention or lack thereof.

However having said that I agree that 5 weeks plus of a stall seems long to me as well. Again I am hopefull some other members can add to this post and contribute to help you and/or you do need to discuss with your surgeon and/or his/her staff.

Either way, stay the course! Don't let anything stop you from being the person you want to be. We ALL suffered in our own ways with obesity and I can only hope you gain enough emotional support here to stay the course.

All my best and good luck with the struggle!

Why are you not eating fruits and vegetables?

Not sure what kinds of Protein Snacks you might be eating, if any, but I heard of someone eating a small bag of sunflower seeds each day, and without realizing it, she was adding an additional 1000 calories to her daily intake.

Keep track of your foods, if you're not already. You could be surprised at how something you thought was on the healthier side, is keeping you from losing more weight.

Also, I would suggest talking to your NUT. He / she should be able to help you once they know exactly what you're eating.

I agree that for the first few months you should be tracking everything you eat. The added Fiber might be making you bloated as well. I also found in the first few months that my losses were smaller when I exercised harder and more frequently, so I stopped working out and my losses went up to 3lbs per week. Not saying you should stop completely, but slow down for awhile. Your body is still healing and the exercises you're doing are probably putting too much stress on it and its conserving energy, aka fat.

Thanks all appreciate your feedback. I haven't really been snacking, just sticking to 3 meals a day and menu is pretty basic (eggs, cheese, tuna, chicken, lean meat). Sticking strictly with Protein based on diet the surgeon set. I am supposed to be introducing non starch veggies this week but didn't do to stall.

After reading through posts I do think my issue is due to salt, I have been marinating and salting foods. Didn't think I was using too much but I'm definitely going to factor that in and stay away from it to see.

Thanks all. I really do appreciate the feedback.

Not to add confusion Mary, but please don't cut salts too much. When we are on a high Protein diet with very low carbs our body tends to get rid of more Water and salt. In fact most of us are advised to eat a little more salt than me might have previously done.

More likely what is happening, is that your body has just decided to stall. It's being pigheaded and irritating. If you are tracking your food, keeping calories low, keeping carbs low and Protein high, then you are doing what you need to. Personally I agree that exercising does slowdown many peoples weight-loss, especially at the beginning. But that is a personal choice, because exercise has many other benefits as well.

My advice to you is to hang in there, and keep doing what you are doing. Over the last 9 to 10 months I have read many such stories of people who stalled early out who then went on to become quite successful. I'm sure you will be one of those too.

I have to remind myself constantly that I do not control my weight. I control what I put in my mouth and how much I move about but I do not control my weight. For now think of success as sticking to your regimen. Let go of the outcome and just be patient. I know, it's not easy is it?

i was sleeved on 3/10 i lost five pounds on the pre-op diet. then I lost five right after surgery. I stalled for the next four weeks. This past week I started losing again. So hang in there! It's just part of the process. The only thing I changed was the cottage cheese I was eating for dinner. I stopped that because of the carbs and started losing again. Now…,I said that to say this….not sure if the cottage cheese was the problem. However, I am too afraid to add it back in, although, I do love it. I hope you will have better luck in the days ahead. It's a terrible thing our body does to us when it stalls and becomes extremely stubborn. Keep on keeping on….you've got this….we all do…one pound at at time.

Happy losing!

Mississippi Girl

I had my sleeve on Match 25th and have lost (15 pre-surgery / 10 post). I've lost more weight prior to having the surgery done and it's been 5.5 weeks where I have completely stalled and have not lost anything since the 1st week after surgery. I've heard of the famous 3 week stall but 5, going on 6 weeks.... I'm so frustrated. I get 20 grams of fiber in using the tasteless fiber in my H20 and drink the recommended 64oz each day. I've been doing T25 workouts and eating just Protein (eggs, chicken, lean meats). I cannot figure it out. There was a point where I notice jeans fitting better, so thought it must be muscle gain but now I'm feeling bloated and no difference at all. I'm ready to give up. To go through the surgery, give up starch, fruit, alcohol, soda, sweets, even vegetables for 5.5 weeks I would expect 15 pound weight loss without even having the surgery. I'm hoping someone else has gone through this, looking for hope or advise. Was really excited to start this new journey but now feeling frustrated.

I am so glad u posted this. And reading the answers put me at ease. I am 1 month out and stopped loosing. I only lost 16lbs but completely stopped. I feel irritated and think of giving up ll d time but it's a phase our bodies go through. Hang in there you are going to do so much better in the next couple of weeks.

glad I read this too. I thought I was messing up big time. granted I moved Into puree the week after and soft 1.5weeks later. the liquid was killing me I felt so weak. so I thought maybe I stretched my sleeve while it was healing. but the doc said everything looked great. but since about week 5 I have been going up and dow2-5 lbs cant break and keep below the 230# mark. I think its extra sodium living in south Louisiana its Crawfish season. well I cant eat many crawfish but I can suck the heads and eat a few tails. so I think the sodium in the crawfish is kickin my butt. so I think ill try to not get any this week and see if I will start going down on e scale! I did go down another belt loop during this time but the weight stayed. I did start using my suspension trainer I built to try to keep some muscle seems I lost allot right off the back. especially in chest and arms! I know muscle takes longer to build up then this stall so I cant say its muscle gain. ALSO anyone feel hungry all the time? granted I don't eat much but I feel hungry like cramp in tummy I am so hungry ever 2-3hrs. I know we are supposed to eat like that but damn I hear so many people having to force themselves to eat! lol.

I am 4 months out and I have stalled for 2 1/2 weeks now. I didn't know about the salt and I may be eating too much of it, but I have had the same diet for the most part once I started eating solids. I also believe that maybe it's time to mix it up a little. I had not begun a regular exercise routine besides walking so I also joined a gym today and I'm going to start going tomorrow! I'm hoping this will jump start it agian, them again I have lost 57 lbs total and I'm afraid that my body doesn't want to lose anymore! I still have 33 more to go so I hope that's not true! Any advice on what to do in the gym lol?