Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Building muscle without heavy lifting

I am 3 years out. I haven't been posting much in the fitness group lately but I've still been working out 4-5 times a week. I've been going back and forth on deciding if I should post these but I decided to go for it. I still have a bunch of loose skin I will have removed but even with the loose skin I've been able to tighten up quite a bit.

I don't do heavy lifting much anymore, although a couple of years ago I trained with a lady that was a body builder. Most of my toning comes full body weight exercises. I do add weights in with the exercises some, too, just not really heavy weights. Once in a while I still do some heavy lifting because I enjoy it. I change up my routine often and I think that's part of what keeps me toned.

post-112250-0-51150500-1399039076_thumb.jpg

post-112250-0-77292800-1399039096_thumb.jpg

Wow! Looks like the hard work and discipline are paying off!

"Sarsar".....way to go and congrats! Lifting really depends on your goals and what you want to accomplish from lifting. Heavy lifting is really relative if you think about it. Some do a weight they can only get 2-3 times a set or max out with one rep....which I would call quite heavy. Some go 10-15 reps a set, which if someone is able to do that many reps, the first half of them (first 6-8 reps) probably require very little, if any, effort, so it's those last reps when they are difficult, when the benefits start to occur. For me, and I can only tell you what works for me, heavy at some point is required. What I mean by that is going to failure and barely able to do the last couple of reps and even getting stuck on the last one. For me, to make muscles grow and/or get stronger, I have to go to failure, whether I get to that point with 1 rep or 20.

Example, if I normally max out at 460 on the squat...that's a one time rep and is heavy as all get out for me and I can barely get the one rep and it's the highest/heaviest weight I can lift. If I stay in that 1-5 rep range for a few sets, my legs will get stronger or at my age, I can at least easily maintain strength at that rep range. But if I do 8-10 reps, that will also help me build muscle if I take that to failure each time, which is more inline with bodybilding parameters (high reps-more effective at building mass than strength). So I guess the key terms here are what is "heavy" and what is "failure". Going to failure for multiple sets will always help build muscle....even if it's your 12th rep and the weight wasn't all that heavy or difficult to move starting out.

I'm probably making no sense at all and maybe just confused you as I haven't had any caffeine today and unable to gather reasonable thought patterns at the moment. :blush: But basically, T.U.T. (time under tension), muscles working to failure, regardless of how heavy the weight is....will benefit your muscles and help them grow/tone.

I see you are doing great and keep us posted! :)

Edited by aroundhky

Wow, you look fanTAStic! Congratulations!

"Sarsar".....way to go and congrats! Lifting really depends on your goals and what you want to accomplish from lifting. Heavy lifting is really relative if you think about it. Some do a weight they can only get 2-3 times a set or max out with one rep....which I would call quite heavy. Some go 10-15 reps a set, which if someone is able to do that many reps, the first half of them (first 6-8 reps) probably require very little, if any, effort, so it's those last reps when they are difficult, when the benefits start to occur. For me, and I can only tell you what works for me, heavy at some point is required. What I mean by that is going to failure and barely able to do the last couple of reps and even getting stuck on the last one. For me, to make muscles grow and/or get stronger, I have to go to failure, whether I get to that point with 1 rep or 20.

Example, if I normally max out at 460 on the squat...that's a one time rep and is heavy as all get out for me and I can barely get the one rep and it's the highest/heaviest weight I can lift. If I stay in that 1-5 rep range for a few sets, my legs will get stronger or at my age, I can at least easily maintain strength at that rep range. But if I do 8-10 reps, that will also help me build muscle if I take that to failure each time, which is more inline with bodybilding parameters (high reps-more effective at building mass than strength). So I guess the key terms here are what is "heavy" and what is "failure". Going to failure for multiple sets will always help build muscle....even if it's your 12th rep and the weight wasn't all that heavy or difficult to move starting out.

I'm probably making no sense at all and maybe just confused you as I haven't had any caffeine today and unable to gather reasonable thought patterns at the moment. :blush: But basically, T.U.T. (time under tension), muscles working to failure, regardless of how heavy the weight is....will benefit your muscles and help them grow/tone.

I saw you are doing great and keep up posted! :)

That makes complete sense to me! You put it in words much better than I would have done. I agree with everything you have said.

I think a lot of people who have never worked out before look at people with toned muscle and think you have to go in a gym and work out with all the "crazy" weight lifting people and lift really heavy weights. But, like you said, results are different for each person. I also love what you said about going to failure. I think this is where a lot of people give up. Those last few reps of whatever exercise you are doing mean the most. They are the hardest to do and we want to give up and not push the little extra but the little extra is what really makes the difference.

I highly suggest spending the money and hire a good PT for a month. They can train you how to lift using all the quipment without hurting yourself and get the most out of each workout. It was worth it for me. One thing many dont understand, during work outs numbers really dont matter. This means the amount of weight and numbers of reps is not important. Instead keep you heart rate up and do what you want just make sure the musles you're working burn out of fuel. Mix it up to avoid becoming bored. My trainer could make me cry using lite weights (7Lbs). A trainer can also point out others in the gym as examples of what not to do. Some people make me cringe watching them improperly lift weights. Its easy to hurt yourself. The 20 somethings can get away with poor form, but once your injured your out of the gym. Bottom line if it hurts, stop and go doing something that doesn't hurt.

I agree, form is incredibly important while working out with or without weights.I do work with a trainer once a week and I am becoming a certified personal trainer myself.

Also, working out is different for whatever goal you are trying to achieve. For instance, if I wanted to become a body builder I would have to add heavy weights frequently and change up my diet accordingly. If I wanted to have the body of a runner, long, lean and thin then I would be focusing on cardio and distance. It just depends on the results we are looking for.

Oh to be on of those "20 somethings" again!:)

Yeah "sarsar", in regards to the last couple of reps each set, it's unfortunate that people give honest efforts with resistance training and then once the reps get tough and they can start to get their greatest benefits from the lifts, they stop and all of the reps before that are almost useless......except for the couple of cals burned during them.

Hey, wish you the best on the PT certification process!

I am 3 years out. I haven't been posting much in the fitness group lately but I've still been working out 4-5 times a week. I've been going back and forth on deciding if I should post these but I decided to go for it. I still have a bunch of loose skin I will have removed but even with the loose skin I've been able to tighten up quite a bit. <br> I don't do heavy lifting much anymore, although a couple of years ago I trained with a lady that was a body builder. Most of my toning comes full body weight exercises. I do add weights in with the exercises some, too, just not really heavy weights. Once in a while I still do some heavy lifting because I enjoy it. I change up my routine often and I think that's part of what keeps me toned.

You look awesome