Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting puree today.

Surgery 4/21. My dr. Moved me up to full liquids last Friday so I am progressing at the pace advised. So, today will be purée day. I have a can of chicken here. Can I just mix with mayo, squish it good and eat some? What about egg salad?

You'd need to put it in a blender and add liquid to make it the consistency of baby food.

Egg salad and chicken salad as they usually are would fall into the "soft foods" category.

Thanks!

Surgery 4/21. My dr. Moved me up to full liquids last Friday so I am progressing at the pace advised. So, today will be purée day. I have a can of chicken here. Can I just mix with mayo, squish it good and eat some? What about egg salad?

Mommyjamie I like you!! I love your post! You are real and ask questions that relate to me too! I'm with you about this food thing!!! I'm hungry and so ready to move to purée!!! I laughed at another post you had where you said you chewed a shrimp and thought thank God I'm not alone. I do admit I have not chewed anything, but I have wanted to. Last night I had mashed potatoes and I shouldn't have cause I'm still on full liquids... But it was really good and I tolerated it.

I've never been one to beat around the bush! I have taken tiny bites of things, chewing really well over the past week. Not every meal just once in a while. I'm sure you saw my post about the pork last night. I ate some, really not thinking about it, and am okay today. I didn't have any ill effects at all. Hopefully I didn't f up my staple line. Didn't think about that at all till later.

Today I made some canned chicken salad and egg salad. I tasted both as my Breakfast thinking they were okay. Oops, I will blend them later. Btw, canned chicken looks super nasty until you do something- anything with it. Lol

I am really trying to keep my sense of humor about this. I just miss eating what my family eats, KWIM?

Mommyjamie I like you!! I love your post! You are real and ask questions that relate to me too! I'm with you about this food thing!!! I'm hungry and so ready to move to purée!!! I laughed at another post you had where you said you chewed a shrimp and thought thank God I'm not alone. I do admit I have not chewed anything, but I have wanted to. Last night I had mashed potatoes and I shouldn't have cause I'm still on full liquids... But it was really good and I tolerated it.

When was your surgery?

My surgery was 4/23, I have a follow up on Monday and praying to be moved to puréed!!!! This has been tough and I'm not in a happy place yet but your post make me smile.

I have my follow up next Thursday. Glad I can bring a smile to your face :)

Edited by mommyjamie

Btw, I am not in a great place either, hence the solidish foods

I totally know what you mean! I am hungry CONSTANTLY. Full liquids just isn't cutting it! I get to move to purees on 5/8. I have been tempted to eat something I shouldn't, but I am deathly afraid of eating something I'm not supposed to and having an adverse effect/harming my sleeve.

Hi Scylla,

Dr, Denham was my surgeon too.

Who is your nutritionist?

I had gastric bypass 7 months ago and am very pleased with it.

I followed everything to a tee and still do.

I wouldn't mess in eating something you shouldn't at this point because your stomach is very delicate and even if you think it's okay to try something you will do damage.

If you have any questions at all or problems call Dr. Denham's office and talk to Liz and she will be a great help or call your nutritionist.

If you belong to North Shore Connect even better to Contact him, Liz, or your nutritionist.

Continued success to you.

Hi Scylla,

Dr, Denham was my surgeon too.

Who is your nutritionist?

I had gastric bypass 7 months ago and am very pleased with it.

I followed everything to a tee and still do.

I wouldn't mess in eating something you shouldn't at this point because your stomach is very delicate and even if you think it's okay to try something you will do damage.

If you have any questions at all or problems call Dr. Denham's office and talk to Liz and she will be a great help or call your nutritionist.

If you belong to North Shore Connect even better to Contact him, Liz, or your nutritionist.

Continued success to you.

Thanks for your concern, Shelly. I'm not going to est something I shouldn't. I wad just commiserating with the OP. I am well acquainted wit Liz, Christine and Marisa, my nutritionist. :)

So mommyjamie!!! What did you eat today?

My surgeon's plan doesnt do puree until 3 weeks and IMO that was a good pace.

As far as foods

Canned chicken or tuna or hard boiled eggs with kraft fat free mayo ran through a food processor until there were no chunks left and a smooth consistency, Add some mustard if you like it as well as some seasoning to flavor it up. Its actually pretty good. I was surprised

One of my other favorites was Fat Free Refried Beans with a little plain salsa mixed in. Some people say you can add some plain greek yogurt too but I never tried it.

Some people mentioned being constantly hungry. I personally did not have any hunger the first 2 months, you may want to look at what you are eating. If it is high in carbs, that may be what is causing you to be hungry all the time.

So mommyjamie!!! What did you eat today?

Lol, yesterday I had.....

1/2 EAS dark choc Protein shake. I use it to take my pills instead of Water.

Canned chicken squished down really really good with light mayo, a touch of salt, pepper, and curry. I chewed super good and took the tiniest of bites. Ate about 2 tbsp.

For lunch I attempted a meatloaf and mashed potato smart one. I put a small portion of the meatloaf in my mini food processor and put it in the gravy it comes in. I ate a few bites of each meatloaf and mashed and that's it. I felt fine and yes, everything was a smooth consistency.

dinner was egg salad. Again squished down really good and chewed really well. It was just egg, mayo, salt, pepper and a touch of dry mustard. Only got in about 2 tbsp.

While dropping off my stepson last night we stopped a dunkin donuts and I grabbed a simply orange oj. First oj since April 10th. Not as good as I remember at all. I drank 1/2 then added Water to the other half.

I am 13 days post op. I guess technically week 3 ( purée) starts Monday but my surgeon moved me up to full liquids a few days early so I'm going by that.

I am super confused about what to eat, I'm post op day 12 and I saw my surgeon for follow up yesterday. He advised me to start drinking green smoothies, and the nutritionist said to eat pureed veggies. She said take advantage of while there is a lot of swelling and try to eat mostly plant Protein to feel full. Most of all they said to stay away from carbs. I would really like to eat Atkins style and I fear if i just do green smoothies and veggiesI will start freaking out and eating bad things from hunger. That has already happened to me a few times. As I am food obsessed, this unfortunately did not end with my surgery. I have eaten crackers, a shrimp and a few croutons over the past few days late at night after my resolve ends. The strange thing is that i have had no repercussions. the crackers slid right down, no feeling of fullness. the croutons (I ate 3) made me feel very full and burp. And the shrimp, I didn't even think about it, my little boy put it in my mouth, he likes to feed me, so I ate it. I felt a little yucky but no barf or diarrhea. I had non stop diarrhea when I progressed to full liquids. And I am also concerned that I can still gulp liquids. I am already up to 8 oz Protein shakes again. And I can drink a bottled Water like I used to. Bottom line is i need to figure out what to eat so I stop messing with dangerous food! i only had a 3 hour nutrition course and have now been told my my surgeon/nutritionist not to follow what the post op instructions say. My post op instructions say I should be eating mash potatoes, grits, eggs, ground meats. If I do the green smoothie thing I am going to be taking in a lot of carbs. I guess this is o.k. for a while but i know I will be hungry and start doing bad things. My hunger has decreased significantly as well as my cravings, while still there, they are reduced. I think If I knew I had nice cheesy meatballs to look forward to for lunch I would not be sneaking crackers and croutons. But a green smoothie? don't think that is gonna cut it. If the ground meat is safe I should be able to eat turkey meatballs, but I am confused. Only post op day 12 I go back to work soon, need to get an eating plan together quick!