Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

o2b--would you share the list of high Protein foods?

thx

Sure! It's on my fill center website under education also.

http://www.northwestfills.com/education.php

HIGH PROTEIN FOODS

Serving SizeProtein GramsServing SizeProtein GramsAlmonds 1c 26Red Snapper 3oz39Barley, Uncooked 1c 16.5Salami 1oz6.9Baked Beans ½c 8.1Scallops 5-6 Med39.5Kidney Beans ½c 7.2Shrimp 5 Large 15.5Lima Beans ½c 5.4Shrimp, Canned 3oz 20.8Bean Soup 1c 7.6Baked Ham 3oz 26.3Corned Beef 3oz 22.9Boiled Ham 2oz14.5Hamburger 3oz 21.8Lamb Chop, Broiled 4oz20.2Roast Beef 3oz 23.3Lentil Soup 1 Cup5Beef Pot Pie 23Beef Liver, Fried 3oz13.2Cottage cheese 1/2c 13.6Calf Liver, Fried 3oz15.1Fried chicken ½ Breast 24.7Lobster 1c19.5Chicken Drumstick 12.5Mac & Cheese 1/2c8.4Chicken, Dark 3.5 oz 29.3Malted Milk 8oz11.1Chicken, White 3.5oz 32.3Whole Milk 1 Cup8Chicken salad ½ c 17.4Onion Soup 1 Cup8.1Oyster Stew 1 Cup 15.8Pea Soup 1 Cup13.3Perch 3 oz 22.5Egg, Boiled6.3Pork Chop 3.5oz 21.4Egg, Scrambled7.1Bakes Sole 3.5oz 30Baked Flounder 3oz30.2Broiled Trout 3 oz 20.3Water Packed tuna ½ c 36.4Turkey, Dark 3.5oz 30Turkey, White 3.5oz32.9Haddock 1 Fillet 16.6Yogurt ½ c4.4

Yeah, O2B, I think we all just have to work with what is working for us! Lol. When I quit losing weight doing what I do now, I will mix it up. It's ALL about keeping your body guessing.

thanks o2b.....i've bookmarked the page and will add the foods to my list.....

I'm like Suzzzie...It's always good to have something in the "backpocket" to mix it up.

Suzzzie---You know I told you I was doing the Daniel Fast...You were right...the Boca burgers are not that good. I haven't tried Morning Star yet. I had one by Amy's. It was a BBQ flavored soy burger and it was quite tasty.

I have also discovered using sun-dried tomatoes on my salad. They come in a jar with oil. The oil base is enough to coat the lettuce--so don't use dressing. the tomatoes are delicious and add texture.

Rhonda thanks for the list. If you mix up your animal Protein and Beans it is good. Beans are a great source of protein. I make a good chicken chili that has both and I feel I am getting a good source and it goes down because it is soft.

If you have a costco around you ( I think someone mentioned these a while back), they sell in the frozen section individual wrapped salmon marinated. they are great. I love to just bake one for me when I am eating alone. If you cook to long you may have to dip it in something because it could get dry. I also found there individual wrapped onion Soups. they are only 210 cal and you pop one in a bowl and bake it. It is another good meal for one! It has good protein too!

As you know I have been a bad gym goer. I really don't know what to do! I really don't like my gym and a lot to tell there. I am thinking of cancelling my membership and look for another option. Any ideas? I really need help in this.

I am logging my food every day and I am doing good. I have my period, so did not weigh this weekend. will do in a few days!

ja9va---You know I'm not an exercise buff...but two things have made going to the gym easier.

1. A buddy. Get someone that will go with you or meet you there. Even if you don't work out doing the same thing, it's something about knowing that someone is waiting and counting on you. (Now make sure you get someone who is willing to go and won't persuade you to stay at home). It is good if you two can work out together so that you can talk. Talking makes the time go by faster.

2. An ipod or Mp3 player. Good..and I mean GOOD music helps the time go by. If you close your eyes, sing in your head the time will fly.

Suzzzie---You know I told you I was doing the Daniel Fast...You were right...the Boca burgers are not that good. I haven't tried Morning Star yet. I had one by Amy's. It was a BBQ flavored soy burger and it was quite tasty.

I have also discovered using sun-dried tomatoes on my salad. They come in a jar with oil. The oil base is enough to coat the lettuce--so don't use dressing. the tomatoes are delicious and add texture.

I am trying to go Vegan, which isn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be, but we'll see how long it lasts... anyway, so i was reaeding the ingrediants on many o the Boca, MorningStar, and Gardenburger varietis and MANY of them use milk and eggs in their products. I was really surprised. So, I found a few vegan friendsly ones and bought them, in the Boca and GardenBurger brands. We'll see how they fare...

As for the Sun Dried Tomatoes - Oh my! I LOVE them! macaroni Grill has this great grilled chicken/bow tie pasta/sun dried tomatoes/fetuccini cause Pasta bowl that is to die for! (Not that I can eat it now, trying to be vegan and all...but I can remember how it tastes!)

Way to go, Suzzzie! Many congrats!!

Thanks!! AGain this moring (3 days in a row!) I am below 300, at 299.6, so I am thrilled. Hoping to never see the 300s again!!

As you know I have been a bad gym goer. I really don't know what to do! I really don't like my gym and a lot to tell there. I am thinking of cancelling my membership and look for another option. Any ideas? I really need help in this.

I am logging my food every day and I am doing good. I have my period, so did not weigh this weekend. will do in a few days!

I have been wavering on wether or not to cancel my gym membership. I don't go as often as I should anymore... I have been working out at home (exercise ball is my new friend!) and I walk 8 flights of stairs at work, up and down, about 2-3 times a day... when it is warmer out I LOVE walking, and have a 5 mile trail I do... and as soon as I get my income tax money back and it gets warer I am going to buy a bicycle and plan on making that my main form of exercise... but I think I should still keep my gym membership for weight training and those 'rainy' days... the membership only costs me $20 a month, and is open 24hours a day... Sigh...

2. An ipod or Mp3 player. Good..and I mean GOOD music helps the time go by. If you close your eyes, sing in your head the time will fly.

Agreed that an Mp3 player with GOOOOD music goes a LONG way!

If you have a costco around you ( I think someone mentioned these a while back), they sell in the frozen section individual wrapped salmon marinated. they are great.

I will definitely look for those. I wish they'd get the mahi mahi back in! Have you tried the little shrimp wonton bowls? They are to-die-for and just the right size.

I log my food on bodybuggs site, but I might try the sparkpeople thing. Actually, I'd started one right after surgery, but never went back to it. Lol.

I'm struggling right now and need some advice ~ My scale doesn't seem to be moving and I'm working my butt off. Granted I sneak a few sweets here and there, but then I feel guilty and do more exercise.

My main question is ~ My doc said count Protein and not worry about calories. I'm suppose to eat 59 grams of protein a day, which at first seemed like a lot since they told me to only eat 1/2 cup of food at a time. Now they're saying 1 cup at a time and it seems like I'm going over that protein count (3 meals and 3 Snacks a day). They said if I go over the 59 grams it will hinder my weight loss. Well I've only lost 10 pounds since Oct. 22 and I'm getting frustrated. Does anyone have a set protein intake goal or calorie limit? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I started logging my food intake on Daily plate. It set me at a calorie intake of something like 1,400 calories but that seems like a lot to me.

HELP!

I eat close to 100 gm Protein a day, and it has not hindered my wt loss at all... You need protein to be sure you are feeding your muscles.

Have you tried logging your food for a full day (or longer) to see what you are eating and what foods your calories are coming from? I just mean that, obviously, 1000 calories of Oreos isn't the same as 1000 calories of apples... does that make sense?

OK, yeah, I didn't read the part where you mentino the daily plate site. Sorry. But yeah, watch where your calories, Protein, carbs, etc come from. Exercise. Could be that your body is just taking time to adjust.

karla I can understand your frustration, I only lost 2lbs in a month, but then I look at the big picture, this was over the HOLIDAYS! When do we ever do that! So, I take it as a success. BUT having said that, I am frustrated too that with the 900-1100 cal a day, it is slow. Daily Plate is where I log too and it say's to lose 2lbs a week as my goal i can eat up to 1700 a day, but I could never do that, due to the portion sizes we eat and it is to much! Being a career dieter, I know 1200 is really the limit.

I think the Protein amount is 55-60 a day. I try to get there, but not always successful. Just keep doing what you are doing, I think it will kick in. I read Stef mention different foods give her a boost or a different exercise routine.

big baby / suzzzie Thanks for your gym input. I did get an email yesterday at work from my friend who is my gym friend too. She must have had a signal! She does not bug me because I think she knows I am in a rut, but always says she is there and when she is at the gym. So, why is it an issue, not sure, the first step will be the big motivator. My dh and I have an ipod, well it became his, but I can use at any time.

Rhonda, I will look for the wonton bowls, are they in the frozen section? Do you ever get the chicken breasts( raw) that are preseasoned? I will look to see if they have oil on them. I can make chicken, not a big deal to season myself, but any convenient option when working is good!

Finally the scale moved down 1lb!! Yahooo I am down what I gained and lost one. I am logging my intake which is helping me. It is only one but I have been stuck at this spot for a long time!!! I will Celebrate the moment and move forward