Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Toni -- to answer your Protein question, I use Whole Foods brand vanilla soy protein in my shakes. I'll give you the recipe for my shake if you want it.

Also, I have a KitchenAid blender that I love. A regular blender might give you more power than the bullet...

Welcome Bandanna....

Is that a "former" or "future" picture of you on you aviatar? It's difficult to see, but it looks like a female bodybuilder...

Anyway....welcome!!!

Congratulations to the newly banded Junesters!

I am now a week out, and my diet paperwork said I could have a couple of Tablespoons of Cream of Wheat or mashed potato thinned with broth or milk during week two.

I had a little potato at lunch and dinner (i had just two Protein Shakes yesterday)...it was heaven to eat something that wasn't sweet!!!

I don't get to go to mushies till after my two-week post-op. Seem like forever.

scale isn't moving. I know it won't....but it is still discouraging to eat/drink this little and have it stay the same. KWIM? I am sure you all do!!!

My surgery was the 18th and at my one week post op the nurse practicioner told me it was ok to start eating food, just to start soft and small, which I thought was weird since they told me before that I would be on full liquids for 2 weeks and mushies for 2 weeks. I'm still having one or two of my Unjury Protein Drinks a day and have been experimenting with different foods. Anyone else start eating that soon?

I am 2 weeks out and on regular food. I was on liquid/mushies for a week, then my surgeon said soft foods this week and start on regular foods yesterday. I have been eating mostly chicken, chewing well and it is going down fine. I do have some restriction or at least a stopping point, but I wish it was sooner. I am eating off a small plate, but I can finish that. I can't wait for my fill on the 16th!

Big Sexy and Captain Danbo - I am sooo glad our guys made it through okay. BigSexy I am so sorry you had that scare! I hope it doesn't make you regret your choice!

Keep Moving it definitely helps, even though it hurts!

Hey all you exercise haters. I got myself a personal dvd player a few years ago and a netflix membership. One of these DVD/CD players (must have a battery) will cost you about $125 MOL. Find a treadmill/eliptical, or bike, get some headphones and you are good to go. I watch a half of a movie at a time and it keeps me going back. I see a lot of great movies, the time goes fast. Sometimes I even go for a whole 90 minute movie. The blockbuster membership will work for this kind of usage also.

On the issue of mixing the protien powder, I got a hand blender at Kmart probably 15 years ago. It was White Westinghouse. It still works great, two speed, easy to clean, can take it with you to the office or on a trip no problem, etc. It will do shakes, Soups, tuna, chicken, etc. I could not find the exact same one, but this one looks virtually the same at Target -- it is $14.99... Hamilton Beach Target : Toastmaster 2 Speed Stick Blender - 1740

I am two weeks out now. For those of you feeling deprived, the feeling will go away. Five days ago I quit feeling this restless urge to consume and I am fine now. That shift may have corresponded to my decision to focus on getting the protien. I knew I would feel better and get some energy back, and heck, I knew there was not any chance I would starve to death, right? I have given up coffee temporarily and do the chocolate protien shake first thing, made with 1% milk, I throw in a spoon of instant coffee and a spoon of the International Foods Mocha sugar free Decaf coffee mix. It's very satisfying. Since I shifted from thinking about my choices (or lack thereof) and started focusing on the protien, I dropped a few pounds.

On SOY SHAKES, this is worth a mention... I am not an expert on this by any means. I had found some soy shakes I really liked a few years ago. In discussion with the owner of the health food store where I live, I learned that soy MAY/will suppress your thyroid. So, FWIW, you might want to look in to this if you have thyroid issues and are doing soy-based shakes.

My new goal is to focus on getting the water/calorie free liquid I am supposed to have. I know I am not getting enough.

Everyone have a great weekend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjsafari viewpost.gif

I am 2 weeks out and on regular food. I was on liquid/mushies for a week, then my surgeon said soft foods this week and start on regular foods yesterday. I have been eating mostly chicken, chewing well and it is going down fine. I do have some restriction or at least a stopping point, but I wish it was sooner. I am eating off a small plate, but I can finish that. I can't wait for my fill on the 16th!

It is so amazing how different doctors are in their post op diet plans, and I'm I must admit I'm very perplexed at going to solids at two weeks post banding (but if it's your surgeon's instructions, the that's what it is), so I had to go see if Allergan says anything about it at all. Here's what the Allergan (LapBand) site says:

Post-Surgery Nutrition

In the first few weeks after your surgery, you will be on a liquid diet since only thin liquids will be tolerated by your stomach at that time. As you heal, you will gradually progress to pureed foods (three to four weeks post-op) and then soft foods (five weeks post-op). Finally, you will be able to eat solid foods.

Kinda blows your mind the variations out there, huh?

faith, i am blown away as well. everytime i read someone else's post-op plan, i run to look at my paperwork again!

i think i am going to ask my surgeon at post-op about all the differences and the Allergan site info....he is going to love me:eek:

Toni: Ya my mom was there and she has really been I big help. My Doc talk to her for about a hour before I went in the the OR witch really helped her open her mind about the whole thing. She made me this home made chic broth and it is one of the best thing I have every had. So I am really happy she is around. All my friends and family have been very helpful and supportive. Between them and all of you I don't think this is going to be too too hard.

Ja9va: I live in redlands CA it's about 45-50 mins east of LA. I don't have to go back to the boat till July 11th But if for some reason I need more time I will take more time. I have my first follow up on the July 10th and the doc will tell me if I need to be on light dutie or anything.

This is Day #3 I am feeling good I have been walking about 20 mins a few times a day. I find it kind of hard to drink 64 OZ of Water a day but I have been doing it. The only thing I don't like is the feeling I get when I cough. It feels like someone is sticking a knife in my left side. Anyhow everyone keep up with the hard work. talk to ya all later.

Dan

Hello to everyone!!! Looks like we have one last bandster today and we're all on the other side in BANDLAND!!! WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!

:help::help:Sorry for the personal question, but has anyone had to have their hernia sutured and it still hurts? I was banded June 11 and yesterday I tried to have a BM. I am only going about once every 5-7 days. I had to strain a little and now it's a sharp pain between my breasts. It hurts more than anything I've been through with the surgery. Could this be my hernia or where the band is? Any comments would be VERY welcome. I'm a little worried. I did decide to go tonight and buy some stool softener. I think I'm going to have to take that for awhile.

Thanks,

Jackie

Hey there! You guys are hard to keep up with! I usually spend all of my time reading and then end up with no time to post! Looks like most everyone is doing good and loosing well! :-) I have lost 10lb post op for a total of 40lb! I am glad to see the scales moving in the right direction but I can't really tell that I'm loosing!?!? My parents and husband say they can tell but the only places I can tell are in my feet/legs (not swollen) and my face/collar bone area! So go figure! My Dr put me on mushies 6 days post op and I was supposed to be on full liquids for 2 wks! I told them I was hungry all the time and was drinking/eating constantly so they moved me ahead! I have also found out that I am to be getting 132g of protein!!!! I was like UMMMMMM HOW!?!?! I feel like I'm doing good to get 50ish! ANYWAY...

I have the glued incisions and the Dr said to just peel it off as the edges come loose.

As for the Protein I used the Matrix 5.0 "Perfect Chocolate" and "Cookies N Cream" and they both are REALLY good!! I prefer the plain chocolate but the Cookies n cream is good for a bit of a change!

I'm gonna attempt to update my ticker so it will show my "correct" loss! Good luck to all of you!

Hello to everyone!!! Looks like we have one last bandster today and we're all on the other side in BANDLAND!!! WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!

:help::help:Sorry for the personal question, but has anyone had to have their hernia sutured and it still hurts? I was banded June 11 and yesterday I tried to have a BM. I am only going about once every 5-7 days. I had to strain a little and now it's a sharp pain between my breasts. It hurts more than anything I've been through with the surgery. Could this be my hernia or where the band is? Any comments would be VERY welcome. I'm a little worried. I did decide to go tonight and buy some stool softener. I think I'm going to have to take that for awhile.

Thanks,

Jackie

The pain may have been from when you strained. I am not sure, if it's not gone by Monday, I'd give your doc a call.

For the problem of Constipation, I've taken to drinking one 4oz bottle of baby Apple Prune juice (70 calories) and it tastes quite yummy. I've not had a problem. Once I'm on pureed foods, I have some baby food prunes and I'll start eating a container of those a day (also quite good).

The pain may have been from when you strained. I am not sure, if it's not gone by Monday, I'd give your doc a call.

For the problem of Constipation, I've taken to drinking one 4oz bottle of baby Apple Prune juice (70 calories) and it tastes quite yummy. I've not had a problem. Once I'm on pureed foods, I have some baby food prunes and I'll start eating a container of those a day (also quite good).

Thanks FaithMD!!! I hope I didn't screw anything up. I've been doing so well, following everything to the "T". I will get some of that Apple Prune juice tonight instead of the stool softener. My DH had the surgery also and he's having the same problem. Maybe I should buy a case of the juice!!!! :rolleyes:rolleyes

Thanks again,

Jackie