Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Welcome back Bigsexy! Glad to know everything turned out ok.

Good job on the pristine liver! lol

Toni - The green is a little light. The parts in bold are easier to read. I like the change though.

Thanks all for the supplement info....I lurk on your posts. hee hee hee

Hi Guys, I'm third day out. It's OK to drink a whole cup of something right?? Like coffee or whatever, I'm sipping it, damn I hope all the nasty pains go away soon. Marga

I just had my staples removed yesterday (one week after OR-a bit early, but they were making me NUTS) and the nurse had to help me find my port. Don't worry, it's in there. Sometimes it is above the port incision by a couple inches, sometimes it's off to the side, and sometimes it's right under the incision (mine is). I am completely numb above my port incision and the one closest to it. They must have gotten a nerve during the OR and I'm glad for now, but I'm dreading the return of feeling! But tbeing numb is the only way I was able to push on my belly and find the port.

Mine is numb too. The nurse told me its because they cut through nerves, but that they will regenerate and soon enough well have sensation again! BUT I kinda like being numb - haha.. at least THAT doesn't hurt!

Well, its almost been 2 weeks for me since the surgery! I haven't weighed in awhile, but earlier this week I was down 8lbs since the surgery!

I have a question about the port area... I can't feel anything down there! I am still pretty bruised up around that incision, but when I lightly push around below or around it I don't feel anything! I can also sleep on that side with no troubles, like nothing's there! Did they forget to put it in! ha ha ha! Is this "normal?" I just wondered!

Also, does anyone else have the glued together incisions? I guess I have some stitches (can't see them) and then glue "gooped" onto it to hold them together. I wondered if anyone else had this and how that was going for them? The glue is pealing up around the edges, but I am just leaving it and letting nature take its course. Also, does anyone else have sticky stuff on their bellies? I had the hardest time getting the iodine off, but now it seems like I have a lot of sticky goo left around my belly, even where there are not incisions. I was also curious as to how everyone is keeping there bellies cleaned? I am afraid to use any soap or anything.

I am still having those hiccup things that kinda hurt. I have them all during the day, can't really find the reason why. Its like one big hiccup, hard to explain. I think someone else said they had something simmillar.

quote]

I couldn't feel my port until about 2 weeks out when all the swelling went away and when I did finally find it, it was more toward the middle of my belly rather than the left side so I freaked out until my doc explained that he places everything according to different anatomies.

I was glued too, but I had steri strips on too. I used dial antibacterial body wash and a clean wash cloth and just let it run over my incisions and didn't rub them. A nurse told me to do this when I had a c-section and I think it helped keep infection away.

Very HOT Water and a light rubbing every night will get that sticky stuff off.

I asked about those hiccups too and he said that is where they have to scrape your diaphram to get the band aroud the stomach and every time you hiccup or gasp (what I do mostly) that it's the diaphram healing.

I'm 3 weeks out and still gasping but not as often, come to think of it only once today. Hope this helps!

just want to let everyone know that I am home and OK. I got discharged at 11:30 am just after the upper GI and faith you were right about the barium it had a nice taste and not nearly as bad as the first one I had to do. Thank you for the pillow trick when I cough I have not got to use it yet but I plan too. anyhow I will talk to you all later.

Dan

just want to let everyone know that I am home and OK. I got discharged at 11:30 am just after the upper GI and faith you were right about the barium it had a nice taste and not nearly as bad as the first one I had to do. Thank you for the pillow trick when I cough I have not got to use it yet but I plan too. anyhow I will talk to you all later.

Dan

Welcome Home, Skinny! Is your Mom there to help you? Inquiring minds want to know! :mad:

I too like Toni would like to know what kind of Protein and how much everyone is drinking/eating.

My surgery was the 18th and at my one week post op the nurse practicioner told me it was ok to start eating food, just to start soft and small, which I thought was weird since they told me before that I would be on full liquids for 2 weeks and mushies for 2 weeks. I'm still having one or two of my unjury Protein drinks a day and have been experimenting with different foods. Anyone else start eating that soon?

I too like Toni would like to know what kind of Protein and how much everyone is drinking/eating.

My surgery was the 18th and at my one week post op the nurse practicioner told me it was ok to start eating food, just to start soft and small, which I thought was weird since they told me before that I would be on full liquids for 2 weeks and mushies for 2 weeks. I'm still having one or two of my unjury Protein drinks a day and have been experimenting with different foods. Anyone else start eating that soon?

Nope but at 8 days (today) I tossed a can of beenie weenies in the blender with some Tomato juice and some catsup to make it more of a Soup. Granted the calories are high (240), but I get 8 grams of Fiber and 14 g of protein. Perhaps next time I'll just puree and Soup up some plain baked Beans with the fat free hot dogs so I don't get so many calories/fat grams. Then again, I'm still under 1000, so who the heck cares? :mad::clap2:

I'm trying to get 40 grams a day through oatmeal made w/ 1 cup skim milk in the morning, egg omlette w/ff cheese and deli turkey slice, and 4 oz baked chicken for supper and a yogurt. If I'm behind I'll drink a glass of skim milk, it has 8 grams of Protein. I know you can buy extra protein skim milk in some places, I use to get in Ky at Kroger when I lived there but can't find it here. I drink low sodium V8's for veggies if I don't get any throughout the day.

Captain Danbo- I am so happy you are doing so well. Welcome to Bandland.

I am nine days post-op and I feel almost back to normal. I am still a little sore now, like when I bend over or turn a certain way. For the most part, though, I feel fantastic. I was feeling so good today that I took the baby to the mall for about three hours. I had his one year old portrait taken at Penny's. He was so cute.

I treated myself to a pair of sandals and a new blouse to Celebrate the 17 lbs that I have lost. It won't be long now until I can shop at "normal" stores, not that I have anything against Lane Bryant. But, I am looking forward to walking into a store and picking out clothes from the misses section. Won't that be nice!

I think I over did it a little though. As soon as I got home I put the baby to bed then I put myself to bed. I was extremely tired. After taking a two hour nap I felt much better. My DH (darling husband) went to TGIF's and brought some brocolli cheese Soup to me. It was delicious! I am supposed to wait until next Wednesday to go to mushies, but the brocolli was very soft, I ate slowly and chewed my soup. Yum! Yum!

Congratulations to all the newly banded. This thread has been so helpful to me. I hope all the June Bugs are able to stick together. I really like the little team we have going. You guys rock!

Nina---PICK YOURSELF UP!!! We all fall...but it's the getting up that's important. We need you on this board...so I'm praying for ya!!!

Toni--Don't pitch the "fake bullet".....I went out and bought one after reading your post. I plan on using it when I can go to "real food" in the beginning. The first thing I'm going to make in it is crab salad and then chicken salad.....For my Protein shakes I use a single serving blender that I bought at Wal-Mart. It's by Hamilton Beach $15.88. It's terrific. I put frozen fruit in with the Protein and milk and it has never failed to blend perfectly smooth shakes (with no chuncks)

I have set an exercise goal for myself--I HATE EXERCISE--IF THERE'S A STRONGER WORD FOR HATE--TELL ME!! However, I am committed to walking 3X a week for 30 minutes. I don't want to set myself up for failure so I think that 3 times if attainable.

Today, I was soooo tired of plain broth--I went to the chinese restaurant and ordered wonton soup--hold the wontongs...the broth was to die for!! I also ordered egg drop Soup. I'm not suppose to go to creamy soup until Monday, but it's close enough!! I can't wait until Monday--I get to eat grits, mashed potatoes and creamy soups!!! WOW Doesn't sound like much--but after 2 weeks of jell-o, pudding and broth--it sounds GREAT

Blessings to all!!

Danielle Great weight loss!! I am jealous! Keep up the good work. I had glue incisions and internal stitches. I did not have the problem getting off the iodine. sorry. Did the other suggestions help?

Toni I love my bullet. But that Protein powder is stubborn, I have to stir it up sometimes to get it going, so it may be the same. I will look up the Syntrax matrix too. You could eat a burrito bowl after the fill? when do you go for your next one?

Marga I drink coffee but I did cut back. After surgery I did not drink for four days or so. And now I drink about 2 cups prior to work, but no longer buy one to bring in to the office. I am 3 weeks out and have a glass or two of wine too.

Danbo Welcome home!! where is home? How long before you go back on the boat?

Bcrazy I was put on the same diet. Liquids after surgery to include creamy Soups. then at my post opt one week doc visit, I was on mushies. I truly wish I was not, because now with out restriction I am trying other foods I probably shouldn't like thin crusty pizza( very thin frozen type, with little cheese) and tortilla chips, grinding them! That went down fine, but I have problems with tuna and chicken, go figure! I am suppose to get 50-60g of Protein in a day, and if I can get in the other foods, she said to try. And keep it at 1000cal a day. Hope that helps.

NiNA HAPPY 4 TO YOU!!!!!!

I'm loving that everyone seems to be doing so well. Just keep up the good work and if you fail one meal, just pick it back up the next meal.

I plan to start exercising and like you Bigbaby, I hate it! DH found a great deal on some exercise equipment so I could have an elliptical for use at the house very soon. I'm not sure I would actually keep up a walking regiment in the summer heat we get!

I am moving to mushies now, even though I have had some "real" food so far. I wasn't supposed to, but I did....oops! No problems though. Most of my Protein at this point is coming from the EAS AdvantEDGE Carb Control shakes. The chocolate ones taste just like chocolate milk and have 15 grams of Protein.

The weight is still coming off and I'm still weighing every morning. I think I'll continue weighing like that until I stop losing. I just get a big thrill at the point because the scales continue to move down!

Bigbaby, I get my fill on the 18th at AIGB. Is that where you're going too?

Yay for all the June bandsters! We rock!!!