Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I've been reading that for a few weeks post op, we should be at 600-800 calories per day, and 70-100 grams of Protein per day. How do you get that much protein with so few calories?

I am 8 weeks post op and have pretty much those same goals/numbers. Lately I am getting the Protein by still drinking two Premier Protein shakes per day. I also eat small meals... Cottage cheese, eggs, turkey, chicken, fish, yogurt, cheese sticks, veggies, etc. but those Protein Shakes are still really helpful since I can't eat much real food at a time. Another help is Quest bars. 20g of protein and I really like the taste of most of them. Don't have them everyday, but at least a couple per week.

Edited by Jen40

Where are the Quest bars sold? I've never seen them. I drank the Premier Protein preop, but they are too sweet and hard to drink now. I've been drinking the Atkins Advantage shakes but they are only 15 grams/protein. I'm having a super hard time getting my Protein in. I'm usually only getting around 40 grams per day.

Each gram of Protein has 4 calories so eating the minimum 80 g yields 320 cals. Still way below 600. Even at 100 g, the cals are at 400. Now keep in mind you have to eat as clean protein as possible to hit the 1 g = 4 calories. It would be very hard to even if you sat around eating lean chicken breast all day. Maybe you could do it with only eating some protein isolate powder (clean and pure). Not sure you would want to though. Stepping back, eating under 600 is really easy in first couple months. It is physically difficult to get the 80 g until month 2 or 3 (I think I hit it around month 3-5). I would not worry too much about calories until you stall (real stall, not the typical cycle we all go through) and just focus on eating as much protein as you can.

Vitamin shoppe and GNC both sell them. you can also buy them online through https://www.questproteinbar.com/ thats usually where i buy mine in bulk.

Where are the Quest bars sold?

Thank you all! I don't have trouble staying within the calorie range at all, sometimes I don't even get to 500. Getting all the Protein is hard. Glad to know it's normal for a month or so!

Getting in the Protein, that's the trick, isn't it. But ya gotta do it.

Personally, I don't eat Protein Bars often, they don't give me the best bang for the buck as far as Protein per calorie/carb. I also don't care for Quest bars.

Protein Isolate is the way to go for the majority of your weight loss, as mentioned by others. The protein is very available to you, which is needed at this point. As far as calories, the big thing is to avoid soft tasty things liked mashed potatoes and cream of wheat. They are sooo easy to get down and do nothing for you except add calories that are unecessary. After your protein, get in some nice cooked veggies (even if it is just a bite or two), you will be much better of for it.

To get in enough protein, I always had two Snacks a day in addition to my meals. Early on the Snacks were greek yogurt, a glass of milk, nonfat ricotta with noncaloric sweetener or Syrup, cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs, etc. Later on snacks were Jerky, nuts, soynuts, edamame, Peanut Butter on celery or apple slices, that sort of thing. I also used milk in my protein shakes to increase the protein form 20 or so grams to 30. I still drink Protein Shakes almost daily (at least 5 days a week). If I don't do a shake, it is very difficult for me to get in enough protein, even almost 9 months out.

Stick with it and keep trying, and you'll be OK. Good luck :)