Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It hurts when my husband hugs me...(anyone else been there?)

I'm hoping someone else has been through or is going through this and can offer me advice or even just relate so I feel like less of a stranger in my own body.

I was hardly a picture of health at 245 lbs, but I believe my heavier body was more durable than my thinner one. Case in point, when I was bigger my husband and I used to love giving each other big, tight bear hugs a couple times during the day. It was sweet and funny because whoever was the one being hugged would kind of swoon and pretend to faint.

Now it's not fun or funny anymore because those tight hugs I used to love hurt. A LOT. It especially hurts my sides and my back (the bones underneath my love handles. I guess that's the back and bottom of my rib cage?)

I've noticed that the back - bottom of my rib cage also seem to have an on-going dull ache. Just now when I leaned forward to put my head down against the computer table, they protested and the ache grew stronger.

I'm sad about giving up our tight hugs, but I'm going to have to tell him tonight because I am afraid he's going to break something.

My wrists also feel weird and fragile. They look really skinny to me and my hands seem big. I think it's kind of gross because I have a bone now that sits up on the outer side of each wrist. It kinda reminds me of a knee. My husband says that bone is what allows my hands to move up and down, side to side so to be glad it's there (lol).

Anyhow, when I type, carry things, or just random small activities like grab my cell phone, my wrists feel weird, kind of like if you were to hold them at an uncomfortable angle for awhile until they feel kind of strained and a little sore.

That rarely happened pre-opt.

Anyone else been there/here now? Please tell me it's just a growing pain that I'll get used to and/or will fade away like when my sleeve used to cause me to have chest spasms in the first few weeks post-opt.

Edited by Comfy_Blue

I read ur post but I don't have any advice........ I do know that when he lays on top of me now, it's hard to breath.................. And when we play fight I bruise so easy now so he's scared to be silly with me.......

I read ur post but I don't have any advice........ I do know that when he lays on top of me now, it's hard to breath.................. And when we play fight I bruise so easy now so he's scared to be silly with me.......

YES that's exactly what I'm talking about. I'm definately not a fan of him being on top. Sometimes even his arm feels heavy across me.

Man, I really wish that someone had mentioned this sort of stuff to me during my Psych. Evaluation. On the surface it doesn't seem like a huge deal, but it does make me a little sad.

I also feel weird telling him because even though I know he loves me, I don't want to be treated delicately like I'm made of glass.

YES that's exactly what I'm talking about. I'm definately not a fan of him being on top. Sometimes even his arm feels heavy across me. Man, I really wish that someone had mentioned this sort of stuff to me during my Psych. Evaluation. On the surface it doesn't seem like a huge deal, but it does make me a little sad. I also feel weird telling him because even though I know he loves me, I don't want to be treated delicately like I'm made of glass.

Well I told him after a couple of bruises.................... I have to remind him that I'm a new me now....... I think at times he doesn't realize the change since their here daily with us... He still thinks we can rough house like I'm a big girl........ Just like me brain hasn't caught up to my weight lose.............. When he tries to lay on me now we kind of have a joke that he's squishing me........ So now he thinks that's funny..... Don't know why that's fun for him now..... But he gets off really fast