Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Horizon Nj health , will I qualify?!

Hello everyone! I am new here! I have my first bariatric sleeve appointment on May 20th I am a 24 year old female 5 foot 6 inches and currently 235 lbs! My bmi is 37.9 I want to know what should I expect on my first appointment, and will I be approved?! I do not have any co morbidities?, and how long after your appointment do you find out whether you are approved, I am from Nj and will be seeing Dr. Attia thanks all!!!!

Hi.

Your BMI would qualify you for surgery as 30 is the magic number. The rest depends on your insurance carrier. I have United Health Care and their stipulation is 3 months of pre-surgery visits and psychological counselling once. When you go to your doctor, they should give you all the information you need as far as pre-surgery dieting, visit schedules, any classes, any psychological profile, etc.

I wish you all the luck in the world. Do what they tell you to do. Don't follow anyone else's instructions. Do exactly what the doctor instructs and you will do well.

hi! i have Horizon NJ Health and was told i had to have a BMI of 40 or higher without any comorbidities to qualify for surgery...i believe a BMI of 30 is with co morbidities...but just be sure to ask. if push comes to shove...at BMI of 38 (they round up) you are only about 15 pounds away from qualification...

i am 5'4 and i had to be 238 pounds to qualify...and i actually had to gain the last 8 pounds (i went off my fad diet and gained the weight right back).

good luck!

hi! i have Horizon NJ Health and was told i had to have a BMI of 40 or higher without any comorbidities to qualify for surgery...i believe a BMI of 30 is with co morbidities...but just be sure to ask. if push comes to shove...at BMI of 38 (they round up) you are only about 15 pounds away from qualification...

i am 5'4 and i had to be 238 pounds to qualify...and i actually had to gain the last 8 pounds (i went off my fad diet and gained the weight right back).

good luck!

Mrs Bailey...I have no problem with the BMI as I'm over 60. Do you mind me asking what surgeon you used? Also what requirements you needed for approval? Waiting (impatiently) for my July 7 seminar to get things started!

hey! sorry for the delay posting. my surgeon is dr. jordan garrison and i'm in hudson county. were you able to get a list of the requirements for surgery?

Gratefully I am awaiting my surgeon appt on the 18 th to schedule surgery.hopeful for mid December

great! that was speedy fast! congratulations and good luck!

Dec 15 surgery for me :)

I had my surgery on Monday! Fully paid for.

Honestly most insurance wants one comobiditie at over 35 bmi and 30 to 35 you usually need two. All depends on your insurance tho some do not need comobidities at all.

I have NJ Health and have my surgery scheduled for March 6,2015. Good Luck to you!

My packet is being submitted next Monday and surgery date Dec 15. How long did it take for approval?

Gm,, question , mrsbailey921,, I have the same surgeon, I'm extremely nervous as my date is very close, Dec 1 st, can you please tell me how did your surgery go?

hey ladies. my surgery went fantastically...i was the star patient! :D lol, seriously though--it did go remarkably well and uneventfully! Dr. Garrison is absoutely AWESOME, his team and staff are incredible (AND incredibly good looking)! you will not regret that eye candy LOL. also, the staff at Christ Hospital (where i had my surgery) was so awesome i want to send them flowers. they are GREAT and my nurses were SPECTACULAR!

insurance approval is between 7-14 days, one of the fastest turnarounds of all the insurance companies they work with, according to my doctor's office.

when you are approved, you will be sent an approval letter in the mail from HNJH.