Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quitting Smoking post-op… might I gain weight?

Greetings everyone,

I am a smoker, and I'm thinking about quitting soon. I'm 9 weeks post-op, so I have a long way to go with my weight loss.

I'm concerned that:

A ) it will be too much of a shock to my already confused body, and

B ) that it will halt any further weight loss (or even cause a gain).

And while I know the benefits of quitting outweigh any perceived disadvantages, I'm wondering if I should wait until I'm closer to my goal, staying focused on one thing at a time and maximizing this honeymoon period with the sleeve.

On the other hand, if the weight loss is easier in these earlier months, maybe that will minimize any potential weight gain from quitting?

I have a follow-up with my surgeon on Thursday, so I'm going to ask him, but I'm curious if anyone here has quit smoking in the early (or any) stages of post-op, and what were your results?

Be well…

D

Edited by DeniseNCC1701

I would be most anxious to hear the answer to this one. I quit smoking Nov. 3 and promptly gained 30 pounds in the following 3 months. I have tried to take it off and only 15 has come back off. I have been craving a cigarette in the worse way lately and have wondered if I had enough time to start and stop again before surgery (scheduled for July 1). I know that's playing with danger, but don't really care right now. Okay, maybe I do care, it just scares me and I know my doctor won't do surgery if I smoke.

Sorry OP, I had a thinly veiled post that was inappropriate, so I removed it. Carry on. :(

Edited by Recycled

You have already answered your concerns. I believe as you said, if you are contemplating quitting smoking, you will be more capable of handling any potential for weight gain now rather than closer to you goal weight and maintenance.

Good luck with your choice. ;)

Denise said:

On the other hand, if the weight loss is easier in these earlier months, maybe that will minimize any potential weight gain from quitting?

Edited by Recycled

Yes, it will be easier to stop unnecessary eating now, so go for it. Yes, you will feel irritable, yes, your body with go into withdrawal. But the sooner you quit, the better for long-term health. You've tackled food--you can do anything!

You had surgery to lose weight AND GAIN HEALTH! I can't imagine a surgeon is going to tell you NOT to quit smoking just to keep you from gaining weight.

Go for health -- stop smoking and continue sticking to the weight loss plan and you'll end up healthier!

Here's a follow-up after meeting with my surgeon and PCP. My surgeon, after thinking about it for a bit, decided to make a compromise. He wants me to get to the 100lb loss mark and address the smoking issue at that time. He also "threw down the gauntlet" and challenged me to get there by the Forth of July (!). He also said I should start cutting down.

My PCP would like to see me quit now, but is OK with the surgeon's decision so long as it means I'll be smoke free eventually. She's been after me for years.

Be well…

What about switching to e cigarettes? You would still get your nicotine fix but eliminate all the other poisons that are in cigarettes. Then you could step down the nicotine levels as you are ready.

Otherwise I kind of agree with the others that said to stop sooner than later. It will be easier to limit your snacking or grazing or whatever you end up doing in place of smoking when you are still in this honeymoon period. Your weight loss will automatically slow down and get harder as you get closer to goal. Trying to stop smoking at that point will only make it harder.

Kind of sounds like you are trying to rationalize procrastinating something you don't want to do.

Edited by Kindle

Sounds like a good compromise, Denise! After smoking for over 35 years, and trying everything to quit, the best thing for me was to just put them down and walk away. Of course, I was under the threat of dying in a little over 7 years if I didn't quit. It was three hard days and then it was over. My husband watched in total disbelief and a month after I quit, he quit his oral tobacco habit (snuff). He did it the same way, just put it down and it took him two major eating days and that was it! YOU CAN DO IT!! It's easier than you think! You just have to be mentally ready for it and neither of us cut down. When we tried that it was torture because every cigarette was counted, the dread was constant, reminders every time I lit up. Good luck in reaching both goals! It's a new year!

Just quit. No excuses, just quit.

Greetings everyone,

I am a smoker, and I'm thinking about quitting soon. I'm 9 weeks post-op, so I have a long way to go with my weight loss.

I'm concerned that:

A ) it will be too much of a shock to my already confused body, and

B ) that it will halt any further weight loss (or even cause a gain).

And while I know the benefits of quitting outweigh any perceived disadvantages, I'm wondering if I should wait until I'm closer to my goal, staying focused on one thing at a time and maximizing this honeymoon period with the sleeve.

I have a follow-up with my surgeon on Thursday, so I'm going to ask him, but I'm curious if anyone here has quit smoking in the early (or any) stages of post-op, and what were your results?

Be well…

D

If you continue us smoking post op your body will take twice as long to heal /start losing the lbs.. what's more Important???