Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Always Hungry & Can Eat A LOT Almost 8 months out

Hey all,

So I have a big problem. I'm 8 months out, and I can eat plenty. For example, I can eat two whole tacos and be fine. Then 10 minutes later I can eat again. It's getting to be a really big problem.

Also, I'm ALWAYS hungry.

So I decided today I'm going to do the preop diet again just to get back on track. What do you guys think I should do?

I just hit my highest weight of 214 and I was so proud to be at 206 :/

Edited by Will

I'm only 3 weeks post-op, so I have no idea what you're going through, but if it's making you feel bad that you gained some weight back, I say do it, don't think it can hurt. Maybe when you feel hungry if you do a Protein Shake, it would help. I know people say push Protein first, so maybe if you did more protein it may fill you. I hope I helped, even a little for you. Bless you Will.

Thanks for the reply. :) I'm really just so beat right now.

Hi Will,

I'm only 4 weeks out and feeling the same way you do.... I'm really struggling with this purée diet thing and have started seriously sneaking in normal food in my final week... Granted I only have 1 week of purée left to go, I'm just surprised that I can manage it with no issues plus I now feel like I am hungry all the time?? (like iv stretched my pouch) whereas before I could survive hours in between the liquid shakes and stuff. So I'm really wondering if this Is this normal or have I messed something up already.....

Not at all sure when the "restriction" and feeling of fullness is meant to kick in or if am I just doomed to fail....? And had a chocolate relapse with Easter so that is not helping either....I'm also feeling depressed now

Will, are you still taking a PPI like Prilosec, Prevacid, or Protonix? I'm nearly five months out my PA told me that the hunger that I'm feeling could possibly be gastritis and she increased me to twice daily dosing. May be worth checking with your doc about it.

Yummy, I've had that problem before. Purees don't leave you feeling full. You're most likely fine, because you're new and your stomach is still healing.

Lyn, I would check with my doctor but he's all the way back home. :( I'm in Austin TX and he's in NJ. I don't take my omeprazole now but maybe I could call? I don't even know. :(

<p>Yummy, I've had that problem before. Purees don't leave you feeling full. You're most likely fine, because you're new and your stomach is still healing. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Lyn, I would check with my doctor but he's all the way back home. :( I'm in Austin TX and he's in NJ. I don't take my omeprazole now but maybe I could call? I don't even know. :(</p>

Maybe it would be worth calling. Are you supposed to be taking Omeprazole now?

Are you eating your Protein first and limiting carbs? Carbs can cause blood sugar spikes and drops which will leave you feeling hungry. I've been told that I MUST eat Protein first for the rest of my life. Do you track your food to ensure you are getting 60-70 or more grams of protein a day?

I would suggest getting back to basics. Protein forward, lower carb meals and taking your PPI. I bet you will feel better restriction and less hunger within a few day.

Will, if you moved maybe you should find a new doctor. If you are just out of town for a bit, I am sure the doctor could mail you a prescription or call one in possibly? Will, you have come so far losing all that weight, and that is wonderful! Whatever you did was working. When you go off the foods you know you should eat, I think the old habits come back and the stomach/head wants those foods we loved so much. My thought is to find some Protein shakes and refried Beans, chicken or tuna salad, and go back in time a little to that place you were. You did it and you can get back on track!

Hi Will,

Some good advice has been offered here. I'll give you some of my two cents if you are interested:

• Eat fajitas! You are in Austin, home of excellent fajitas. Just skip the tortillas, chips and rice. Try the Texican Cafe. They will fill you up with all sorts of meaty TexMex deliciousness and you won't be hungry at all. Have the leftovers for lunch the next day.
  • Try a Whataburger Green Chile Cheeseburger without the bun (and no fries). Will fill you up and is tasty.
  • Go to the big Whole Foods on 6th and Lamar and get fresh sashimi at the lunch bar (far back right side near the fish dept). Fill up on that awesomeness. If you are still hungry, stop by the ginormous salad bar on the other side of the store. Just avoid croutons, potatoes, and other starchy add-ins for your salad.< /li>
  • Barbecue! Drive out to Lockhart on a Saturday to Kreuz or Smitty's for bbq prime rib, ham, sausage, brisket, and ribs. I don't think they even serve sauce (real Texas bbq doesn't need sauce) and there are no utensils, just eat with your hands. Avoid the bread and potato salad, but coleslaw, sauerkraut and Beans are great. You will be full and guilt-free. This is some of the best bbq on the planet, don't miss it.

I am 8 1/2 months out myself. I changed my diet to eat more fats because fats keep away hunger a long time. I kept my Protein and calories the same, but switching the make up of my meals to nearly half my calories from fat and 10-15% from carbs made a difference for me in satiety. I have whole milk and regular cheese, cream in my coffee, regular Salad Dressing, guacamole, bacon. Not everyone follows a high fat diet, but I have found it works well and there is a lot of research to back it up if you google it. I also dig into veggies a lot, salads, and berries. These are all filling, low calorie, and low carb, and help keep me on plan.

Good luck to you!

I'm seven months out. I'm having the same problem. I can eat two tacos as well, if they are hard shell. I can only eat about 1 1/2 if they are soft tacos. I lost so much weight the first five months but now I only lose 2 or 3 pounds a month. It's awful. I feel like I can eat way more than I should be able to. I get hungry about every 3 hours. It's making me miserable. I've lost about 85 pounds since surgery and still have about 100 to go. Really dont think I'm going to get there. :(

Will, I'm still pre op so I can't say I know what you're experiencing, but maybe you need to find a Dr in Austin for follow up. I live in Austin as we'll and I know there are some really good practices in the area. One that comes to mind is Southwest Bariatric Surgeons. Though you didn't get your surgery done there, I'm sure they would be happy to assist you post op.