Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long workouts and daily calorie targets?

So, I'm struggling with this a bit because, even though I'm a vet, I'm not exactly in maintenance, since I'm working on taking off regain. Usually I aim for under 1200 calories, 40g carbs a day, and don't eat back exercise calories, though I occasionally go a bit higher (maybe 100 calories) if my workout's over 500-600.

However, the local snow pack is melting, which means my weekend hikes are getting longer these days. I do pack some trail food, but frankly the hiking suppresses my appetite somewhat, and I don't want to get a cramp, and I'm enjoying being distracted from thoughts of food. So, it's not uncommon for me to burn 2000 or even 3000+ calories (as estimated with a heart rate monitor) if I'm hiking with substantial elevation gain over a course of 5 hours or more. Combine that with a lighter Breakfast before hitting the trail, suppressed appetite, and being away from food for a large chunk of the day, and I'm often still coming out at 1200 or less intake, even if I eat a little heavier than usual in the evening. Carbs are likely to be a little higher than a normal day, though not net carbs ( A Quest bar is my go-to hike snack).

In my first year post-op, I wasn't able to manage such strenuous hikes, but I'd still bonk when I got home. I'd have to take a nap, and was pretty worthless the rest of the day. Now, the rest of my day is pretty normal. Sometimes I feel a bit wobbly at the end of a hike, or develop what I think of as a low-blood-sugar headache, but mostly the lack of calories doesn't feel like it's impacting my hiking stamina.

That said, I'm beginning to suspect some effects the next 1-2 days. I often find I'm unusually ravenous in the morning for a day or two afterwards, and being too hungry can lead me back into some pretty destructive eating habits. I have a long history of binge eating that I still fight (more successfully these days, but still...), and I'm definitely more prone to a binge in the day or two after a long strenuous hike. Not sure whether it's just my fat brain using the exercise as an excuse to overeat, or whether I'm setting myself up a bit. I'd appreciate some input.

Congrats on doing something so healthy like taking a long strenuous hike, that is a great thing to do for yourself. It sounds like you probably need some additional calories to fuel that level of exercise. I know that would I feel horrible if I hiked that hard on so few calories. The poor food choices and hunger are signs that your body is needing additional calories and / or nutrition. If you are really concerned, it might be worth discussing with your surgeon too.

Think of your calories on a 24 hour clock. If you haven't eaten enough to support the hike you will wake up hungry because of calorie deficit.

When I'm going to bed on a day with calorie deficit, I eat a bit of Protein right before sleep. I also wake up hungry and drink coffee. The caffeine slows down my appetite so I can eat while listening to my hunger.

Yea for hikes. I love the outdoors. My kids are old enough now they can keep up! My five year old did 2 Miles with me. I am proud of her. :)

Forgot! For cramping make sure your hydrated. If you're sweating then you can replace Water with Sobe Lifewater or Vitamin water Zero or electrolytes. (I dilute mine with water.) Or, ya know, eat banana, dates, apricots....if you like avocado, that's a easy good food to take on a long hike.

Thanks CBT!

I've never gotten over my "fear" of fruit post-op. I'm so sensitive to sugar triggering me to go on eating bonanzas, I almost never have fruit.

Having given it more thought, there's a couple of things I want to try. I do want to plan to add either another Protein shake the morning after (I usually start the morning with a hot Protein mocha) or an extra hard boiled egg as a morning snack. I also have a tendency to intentionally under-eat on hiking days. Right now I'm HUNGRY, did a longish hike this morning, lighter than usual calories, only ate half my usual lunch, and for some reason I'm resisting having something to eat. Some kind of mind game going on there, which needs a bit more analysis on my part.

I also think a good part of the next-day problem is just coincidental timing - I generally hike on Sundays, and so the day after is my first day back at work. I suspect that's the more likely explanation for my inclination to overeat.

p.s. - yuck on avocados. I've never developed a taste for "green slime"... lol... ;)

Thanks CBT! I've never gotten over my "fear" of fruit post-op. I'm so sensitive to sugar triggering me to go on eating bonanzas, I almost never have fruit. Having given it more thought, there's a couple of things I want to try. I do want to plan to add either another Protein shake the morning after (I usually start the morning with a hot Protein mocha) or an extra hard boiled egg as a morning snack. I also have a tendency to intentionally under-eat on hiking days. Right now I'm HUNGRY, did a longish hike this morning, lighter than usual calories, only ate half my usual lunch, and for some reason I'm resisting having something to eat. Some kind of mind game going on there, which needs a bit more analysis on my part. I also think a good part of the next-day problem is just coincidental timing - I generally hike on Sundays, and so the day after is my first day back at work. I suspect that's the more likely explanation for my inclination to overeat. p.s. - yuck on avocados. I've never developed a taste for "green slime"... lol... ;)

My understanding is that berries are best for avoiding the sugar trigger in fruit.

Lynda

Thanks CBT! I've never gotten over my "fear" of fruit post-op. I'm so sensitive to sugar triggering me to go on eating bonanzas, I almost never have fruit. Having given it more thought, there's a couple of things I want to try. I do want to plan to add either another Protein Shake the morning after (I usually start the morning with a hot Protein mocha) or an extra hard boiled egg as a morning snack. I also have a tendency to intentionally under-eat on hiking days. Right now I'm HUNGRY, did a longish hike this morning, lighter than usual calories, only ate half my usual lunch, and for some reason I'm resisting having something to eat. Some kind of mind game going on there, which needs a bit more analysis on my part. I also think a good part of the next-day problem is just coincidental timing - I generally hike on Sundays, and so the day after is my first day back at work. I suspect that's the more likely explanation for my inclination to overeat. p.s. - yuck on avocados. I've never developed a taste for "green slime"... lol... ;)

You have a lot if insight! Follow it!

I have played that deprivation game. I think it's left over stinkin thinkin from dieting.

I don't eat anything unless it's paired with a protein or it will cause blood sugar problems: apple & Peanut Butter. Citrus with chicken or pork. Everything with the right cheese. Lol.

I'm paying close attention today - I really believe a willingness to THINK and analyze rather than react (EAT!), is my best defense. Getting a bit more Protein today, did a midday workout to help with stress and appetite, and have a plan for after work to keep me out of the pantry. Gotta watch those mind games for sure!

If you are doing exercises where you are burning these levels of calories, then you need to be recovering just like any other type of athlete. This is a huge strain on your system and helping your body recover is extremely important. Ask any casual runner who goes out for their Saturday long run ... they have to have a recovery plan. Not only to get themselves back, but also to make their exercise worth while. If you do not recover properly, you are not getting all of the benefits of said exercise.

Thanks for your comment, but from someone who's never been an athlete of any sort, what exactly does "recover properly" entail? I know I need to allow myself rest days (or at least alternate exercise so that I'm using different muscle groups). But beyond that vague idea, I'm a bit lost.

My needs in this regard may be a bit different, because I'm not in training for a longer or more demanding event. I'm just out enjoying the trails whenever I can, and at this point my distance is limited as much by my time (and my lack of desire to haul an overnight pack) than by my physical stamina. Despite being a complete novice, I seem to have gained enough strength to accomplish my goals, and I'm still seeing improvements. I'm sure I could do better, but if I were to get serious about training it would probably be in another area.

Mostly I'm worried about the mind games going on that tempt me to overeat later, or under-eat the day of a long hike.