Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am new here.

I've decided that I am not going to do this surgery after all. I've already canceled my appointment with the surgeons's co-ordinator.

With my mechanical heart valve it would be too much of a risk I think. I don't want to be stupid and die to be thin.

I have read and read on several of the lap band forums and this surgery is not without risks folks. Some of the posts scared the snot out of me. All the complications and difficulties that people had with the band afterwards made me think twice. I don't think I could live with that, and once it is in it takes money again to take it out. I also read some of the Memorial pages but most of the people that didn't make it had the GB though and were morbidly obese.

My BMI is 34.3 right now and for my health sake and preventing future problems I need to lose 60 pounds. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I'd ever have to lose 60 pounds. I don't have serious problems yet only that my cholesterol is high. (234) I don't have high blood pressure or diabetes. I have to do it this way and am determined to succeed. So I take 18 months or longer, what else would I have been doing? I have already started and no one is getting in my way. Not even my friend Darlene who loves to ask me to go out for a treat with her. I just hope when I get to where I need to be that I can keep it off. Like I read on so many posts with the LB and the GB you still have to fight to keep it off. You can still gain it all back if you don't watch out. There is no guarantee! You still need to eat right, small portions and cannot endulge in sugary junk.

Wish me luck!

Love & hugs,

Christina

Best of luck to you, Christina! You do have a lot of reasons to lose weight but I agree with the scare of complications, especially given your history. But like it was broken down, losing 2½ lbs a month is actually not that big of a stretch. Gotta consider, you didn't gain it overnight, you won't lose it overnight. Personally, I've gained over 110 lbs in the last 8 years, so it's a bigger number facing me. I'm skurred :)

You're in my thoughts!

Wendy,:D

So sweet of you to post and leave such a positive message for me. I really appreciate this!:)

As for losing weight on my own, I am totally focussed at the moment and that hasn't happened before. I know I can do it! 60 pounds isn't really that much and what else would I do in the next two years?. I still have to eat right anyways whether I have the band or not. I know a person who got the band in January of this year and she's not losing that much weight. She's disappointed! She's lost almost 35 pounds since her surgery and she has another 120 to go. (Wow) She hasn't had any complications, so that is good.

I believe in God and what I've read on the forums about the complications and troubles people had with the band I know God was whispering with that little voice in the back of my head that I shouldn't do this surgery. Some of the stories got me real scared.:(:D I know God is a loving God and only wants what is best for me considering my heart condition.

My appetite has greatly decreased in the past month and I believe this is an answer to my prayer. I prayed and asked him to help me with this weight problem because I cannot do it alone. I need him to give me the strength and motivation. I believe this is the way he wants me to do it and I am A okay with that!:D :D :D

I feel so content and happy!

Best of luck to you as well.

Hugs,:)

Christina

Christina,

Best of luck to you. This is a difficult decision for anyone, but especially you with your heart condition. It's better not to take such a risk when your risk would be as elevated as I'm assuming yours would be.

Good luck with your weight loss. Band or no band, we are all in the same boat. Keep coming to this sight for support; I know I need it.

Thinking of you and wishing you well,

S. Elaine

Dear Christina,

I want to wish you well on your journey. I feel you made a positive decision and I bet your darling husband is pleased also. I myself will be meeting my surgeon this week as I continue on my weight loss journey. Whatever road we are on, it is a comfort that we can all support one another. God Bless you.

Hugs,

Christina, I have been away from this board for a long time, so I just saw this thread. I just wanted to say that I wish you the best on your journey. Only you, your family and your doctors can decide what is best for you. Also, please know that (to me) it seems the horror stories get more attention because those of us succeeding with the band don't tend to yell it from the mountain tops. Your friend probably needs a fill and should contact her doctor.

Julie & Dutchgrl59,

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to my message. With all the reading that I've done on the boards the scare of complication made me change my mind about having the band implanted. I can still change my mind again if I chose to do so, but in the mean time my doctor and I have made an agreement for me to come in once a month to see him. They'll put me on the scale (very difficult thing for me) to see if I am losing weight. By doing it this way I will be held accountable and I need that. Without them forcing me I would NEVER go on the scale at home. Well, the last time I saw him was April 24th and I had lost 3 pounds in about a month. That's about what I could expect to lose with the band I think. It got me excited and with the reasonable food plan he suggested I think I could actually achieve my goal in a year to 18 months. He also suggested I go for some cognitive therapy as I was abused as a child by my father and made to feel bad the way I look. I took the cow by the horns and made an appointment right away. Was able to get in within 2 days and so far I have had 2 sessions. I need many, many more, I was told. It is NOT the weight that is the problem. I see my regular doctor again on the 22nd of May.

I am still on the boards reading posts, but since I am not going to have the band I don't post much and think I cannot be of support to anyone here.

My friend in OR actually got another fill on the 30th and she is doing much better, so she tells me. In the beginning you simply don't know how many fills it takes to get the correct restriction. But after 4 months she's lost close to 40 pounds. She has another 120 to go and from what I've read it could take another 2 years for her to lose that. I asked her to be patient and kind to herself and not to get discouraged. It took years for all that weight to be put on so it will take time to take it off.

Another friend of mine is going to get the band in June some time and we live close enough so I can be of support to her. Like me, she's also on Coumadin (Artificial Heartvalve) and they will bridge her during the band surgery with a Heparin drip and she will go to the hospital 2 days before surgery and has to stay 2 days afterwards, just to avoid complications like stroke or clotting.

I appreciate all you people's kindness and support.

Hugs,

Christina

Wow, you are very brave. I am glad you are trying to get healthy. I was banded December 18, 2007 by Dr. Schwartz. He is a very matter of fact kind of guy. Scott his assistant is the best, he does our fills. I like him alot. The band has done me a world of good and I have had some problems with adjustments and figuring out how best to deal with some of the problems. I am losing though and that is what I really want to do. I think I couldn't lose without this restriction, it has taken me this long at this age to lose my weight and I know I could never have done it on my own, I had tried many times. I totally understand your fear with your health problems, be careful and I will try and respond if you want to write back and forth. Best wishes

Wow, you are very brave. I am glad you are trying to get healthy. I was banded December 18, 2007 by Dr. Schwartz. He is a very matter of fact kind of guy. Scott his assistant is the best, he does our fills. I like him alot. The band has done me a world of good and I have had some problems with adjustments and figuring out how best to deal with some of the problems. I am losing though and that is what I really want to do. I think I couldn't lose without this restriction, it has taken me this long at this age to lose my weight and I know I could never have done it on my own, I had tried many times. I totally understand your fear with your health problems, be careful and I will try and respond if you want to write back and forth. Best wishes

Hi... Thanks for writing. I haven't been on this site for a very long time as I am never going to do the lab band surgery. As a matter of fact a very close heart friend of mine here in Tucson nearly died last year of a terrible infection that she developed after Lap Band surgery. They had to remove the band as it couldn't be salvaged. It took her months and months to recover. They had to give her heavy doses of antibiotics and because of that she lost most of her hair and the hair has not come back the way it was before surgery. This experience made her terrified to do the surgery again so she's not going to do it a second time and tries to be happy with her size.

Personally, I am doing very well and feeling wonderful most of the time. I am doing the best that I can with working and being a wife, mother and grandmother. I bought a CHI machine and that has done absolute wonders for my health. It balanced my Lymphatic system and Hormones and I am feeling so much better. I also had Cellulitis in my left lower leg/foot and the swelling from that is almost gone in the 5 weeks I've had it and I've had this prtoblem for the past 8 years and it wouldn't go away. All the doctor could do was give me more antibiotics. YUCK!!I have so much more energy. I call it my little aerobic exerciser and it brings lots of oxygen to my muscles/body so I am feeling so much better. Everything has improved, even my moods. And since I've bought this little exerciser 5 weeks ago I've lost another 7 pounds without even trying very hard.

If you are interested my website is: www.chinow.com/chriswink

Thanks again.

Christina

Christina,

It's good to hear from you again and I'm glad you are doing well. Keep up the good work. :thumbup: