Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's the skinny on the skin?

My surgery is scheduled for mid May and I cannot stop obsessing over whether or not my skin will be loose! I hate that I am so vain, but it is just plaguing me. I am almost 32 years old and I have pretty tight, bouncy skin currently, but have never had to lose this much weight before and I swear I'm like a dang sausage all packed in tight! Lol. I am wondering if it is true that the slower you lose the weight, the less likely you will have loose skin?? I am expecting some loose, of course, but I'd really like to try and avoid it as much as possible. Do any of you know if maybe eating higher calorie foods initially (after first 4 weeks post op) would help possibly slow down weight loss and increase my chances of having less loose skin? I will talk to my doctor, but I'd like to hear what folks have to say. Thanks!

Honestly? I think you should focus on using the first several months after surgery, a time when you will likely be free from cravings and limited in the amount you can eat, to lose as much weight as possible. If you are want to eat in a way to slow down your weight loss because of possible (not proven) cosmetic benefits, how committed are you really to weight loss and your health?

I know this sounds harsh and I don't mean it to be that way. I know we all want to look good. But your priority should be weight loss and health and doing things according to your surgeon's plan, IMO. Just something to think about.

The worse for me are my bat wings (upper arms)...so I have been working out with weights to help that... the exercise helps tone your muscles and skin and help with the "flab factor"... but that being said...some loose skin is no reason to give up on the surgery!

You will be a healthier you... it will work itself out!

You're more than likely going to have loose skin. That's not a reason to eat mashed potatoes and cheesecake. Just get over it. Get skinny & rock the batwings.

Loose skin is normally a part of weight loss surgery, but having said that there are some things you can do to help with the quality of your skin so it shrinks back better than if you just left it. Firstly take your EFA's (Essential fatty acids ie. Omega 3, 6 & 9) but be sure to stop at least 2 weeks before your surgery as it thins the blood and is not ideal for surgery. Use a great body moisturizer or Vitamin skin function oil, eat healthy Vitamin rich foods (not high calorie food) you can go for LED light therapy treatments like the body bed etc for cell renewal and strength or even skin needling to help with collagen and elastin production. though this wont make your skin tight!! Also weight bearing exercise will make a huge difference as biggirlpanties said. after you reach your goal weight, you should wait about a year before going for any skin surgery, this is because the skin is an organ and can take up to a year (from goal weight) to shrink back as far as it can. then it's time to consider surgery.

Thank you for the info on how to best avoid or minimize the loose skin and the encouragement.

Kateness777, I would try not to worry about loose skin. If someone can't accept you or love you for you loose skin, then perhaps they don't need to be in your life. The surgery is a tool to help you have a healthier life as well as secondary benefits such as improved self esteem. You need to try hard to love the new you that will develop when your procedure occurs. I am 29 years old, and yes I want to look good but loose skin is not plaguing my mind. I hope that the issue wont prevent you from doing the surgery. Stay positive and try the tips these great ladies passed on to you. :)

My daughter had gastric bypass in August. She is 19 and at college. She has lost 96 lbs. She has worked out with weights faithfully, and she does have some skin under her arms and her belly is not taught. She also has some skin on the inside of her thighs. However, she is young and it is pretty minimal considering that she is only 5'1" and started at over 250 lbs. I think you have to follow the doctor's dietary recommendations, and do muscle building exercises to maximize tone under the skin. You are young, and things may not be perfect, but you can minimize it with the right exercise. It also depends upon how much weight you have to lose.

If it's going to happen it's going to happen no matter the rate of weight loss.

Take advantage of the "honeymoon" stage, which is the first 10 months to a year after surgery where the weight drops rapidly. After that you will have to work much harder.

Personally, after losing almost 60 lbs in 2 months, my skin seems to be a bit squishier and my stomach is still hanging a little low. My arms have always been big so I know for a fact I will have a lot of skin there. I am 25 years old.

I'd rather have loose skin than have it full of fat. Bring on the skin!