Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss slow or fast? Banding on 4/13

I will be banded April 13. I have read where some people lose 25 pounds in 4 or 5 months, others lost 80 in 6 or 7 months. Personaly I have 100 - 120 pounds to lose. Can some of you share your success and or disappointments?

I admire people who can lose quickly, but I am not a big proponent of super fast weight loss, partly because I know that I am a fairly slow loser. I don't want to set myself up for disappointment. I will be perfectly happy to lose at a slow but steady rate.

Don't expect miracles, and don't compare yourself to other people contantly. We are all different.

I was banded about 9 days ago and I know that I am down by at least 6 lbs right now (and, I just got my period PLUS I still have IV fluids retained in my fat cells, according to my surgeon). But I am not even going to buy a scale for another month or so.

Good luck to you!

Tomorrow starts my 1 full week. I had the band put in March 28th. I am looking to get back much of my stamina. I know it's there--since I walked 37 minutes the first day last week. I am using the fat burn mode on the treadmill (2.9 to 3.4 mph) I am going up the ante within the next 4 weeks to 60 minutes per day. If I am not in the Gym--I also brought me a new moutain bike too. I will get relased by April 18th once I get my first fill. I am not worried about the first 2 months--I am concerned about Months 6, 7, 8 and 9. I am thinking--burn 400 to 650 calories per day on the treadmill--not counting weight lifting. It takes 3500 calories to make a pound. Since I was eating close to 2600 before and now I am down to 800 per day---I shouldn't do too bad. With the band--I could lose 2.57 pounds a week. I am looking to push it hard for that extra .5 to 1 pound more. I may sound crazy---but I am just serious and ready.

Tomorrow starts my 1 full week. I had the band put in March 28th. I am looking to get back much of my stamina. I know it's there--since I walked 37 minutes the first day last week. I am using the fat burn mode on the treadmill (2.9 to 3.4 mph) I am going up the ante within the next 4 weeks to 60 minutes per day. If I am not in the Gym--I also brought me a new moutain bike too. I will get relased by April 18th once I get my first fill. I am not worried about the first 2 months--I am concerned about Months 6, 7, 8 and 9. I am thinking--burn 400 to 650 calories per day on the treadmill--not counting weight lifting. It takes 3500 calories to make a pound. Since I was eating close to 2600 before and now I am down to 800 per day---I shouldn't do too bad. With the band--I could lose 2.57 pounds a week. I am looking to push it hard for that extra .5 to 1 pound more. I may sound crazy---but I am just serious and ready.

Wow, you sure are motivated - that's great! Don't forget to give yourself time to heal. I'm not banded yet but I think I read somewhere that you weren't suppose to do any strenuous exercise for the first month or so. I understand that we're all different and have varied experinces with the band, just remember... listen to your body. Sounds like your body is screaming - give me exercise. :)

I was banded on December 11, and have lost 31 lbs. My friend was done the week prior to mine, and she has lost 70. I agree with whoever said we are all different. I know my loss is slower because I've slipped into some of my old patterns of a bite here and there of things that are too sugary. You have to exercise, and the weight loss for some goes faster.

Best wishes!

I must say you're right...But being a couch slug was for me when I was sick and not feeling well. I think me spending almost $200 for a new bike was not for nothing. Plus I already know I can do 30 to 45 minutes per day--been there and done that. I have a lot of things pushing me now---dreams, goals that I have to obtain. I was once 315 pounds---I got down to 218 once--but I didn't have the right stuff to keep me there. Now--with the way I feel and all that I have done to get the lap band--I'd have to be a fool to play the couch slug. I am just one Man with 2 small kids. Who do they depend on--me. I came to my final conclusion in November that I had to get off my duff. I lost weight--gained it---lost it--gained it back and more. Now with my new tool--it's more of a confidence factor than anything. Trust me--the minutes last week was just the beginning. I wondered---how did I ride my bike 30 minutes on Wednesday--then go to the Gym for 37 more minutes if my mind was trying to be a couch slug??? Sorry....it will not be that way...

Hey Lee....good for you. The goal of exercise is this....do something that you LOVE to do. If it is an effort to get going at it....it won't last. I know this from experience. I have done many many different types of exercise and the key was to find something that I love to do. Running and biking are the keys for me. I weight lift as well, but the running and biking are what I love to do, you feel so good after you get in from a big run or a 20 km bike ride...its like weeeya! The weight lifting is just such an awesome thing simply because your arms and things getting looking different with such a little bit of effort...keep up the awesome attitude and the positive outlook....you will do great. POPT

I have never been able to lose weight quickly.

I have been banded 2 yrs and have lost 80lbs. I would still like to lose 20 lbs more but I have been on an 8mth long plateau...all my fault tho..