Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Perfect Balance...A recent experience.

Ok, been a few weeks since I last logged in, do not really have anything to say lately, and very little in common to be honest...

But I had an episode with the band recently (don't get that many anymore) I thought I should log in and share.....

For those that do not know me, I have been banded for 3 -1/2 years, hit my Green Zone 4 months, 3 fills after surgery, lost all my excess weight and body fat, reversed all my co-morbidities, became a gym rat, vegetarian, blah, blah, blah.....I should also say I'm 62 years old, a heart attack ( and cardiac surgery) survivor, ....well, you get the picture. In other words I'm a veteran who had the band totally changed my life. Total success!!!

Anyway, to the point.

Went in for my 6 month regular visit last Tuesday....generally it takes about 5 minutes, in and out. I spend more time there schmoozing with the ladies in the office than the actual exam....

Walking into the building, I meet my surgeon on his way out, he was on call and had to leave.

We talk for a few minutes, asks me why I'm there and was I experiencing any problems....I told him no, just the routine 6 month visit......however, I did tell him I was contemplating having a slight un-fill....say 1/2 cc....He looked at me and asked why on earth would I even think about such a thing....I am currently, nor ever have experienced any problems, complications....the band has led me to a life of normal weight, regained my health.

I am one of his best patients....a textbook example of what the band can do....WHY fix something that isn't broke??? Why disrupt what I have had going for me all this time? He said it was his tratment plan to get his patients there, WHY would I want to un do it?

He said he did not recommend it at all, and said I should reconsider....don't disrupt that perfect balance I have had all this time.

Fast forward, I'm in the exam room with the PA, and we have the same conversation....she tells me I'm nuts,(she's also a colleague) and that she is reluctant to do it unless I can come up with a good reason...I have no reflux, no stuck/sliming episodes, no pain or discomfort....she tells me she knows 100's of patients who wished they had what I had....that perfect balance...that perfect adjustment. That total success with little or n o effort......Why would I want to tilt the apple cart?

I did convince her to take a 1/2 cc out, promising I will come right back if I was not happy....(and some other negotiations)

So she pulls the full 7cc's out, just as it was 3 years ago...no leaks or discoloration. She then puts back fresh saline, less the 1/2 cc.

Well, I want to say...from first hand experience...there is that perfect balance...and with a1/2 cc taken out...., I lost it!!!

Suddenly, my cravings came back...I want to snack all day long, all hours of the day and night....also, my head hunger returned. I see people eat disgusting things like pizza and cheeseburgers, and I desire to do the same....my portions are now all out of whack also.

Before, it was impossible for me to over eat....no matter where I was or what I was doing. Parties, holiday dinners, vacation cruises...it did not matter.The band was always the band. But now....we were out to dinner last night, and my Wife commented I must have been starved because she could not remember the last time I ate so much....I looked at my plate and realized she was right....I could have continued right on eating...as though I never had the surgery in the first place....Very, very scary.....I don't like this.

Fortunately....I still do not experience any hunger...that has remained the same, I did not loose that thankfully...so I can remind myself not to give in to the cravings, head hunger....I can remind myself to eat small portions, even weigh and measure if need be.......but what was once very easy and routine, has now suddenly became a constant chore again....constantly telling myself not to do this, not to do that....just like dieting!

I also realize I am now walking that fine line....things such as stress, emotional experiences, or just a lapse in control, and I can be one of those who "Fell off the wagon" and need to "Get back on track"...could never understand that before, but now I do, and now it scares me that it could easily happen.

I do not like this place, I want to go back to the way it was....where the band was in total control....

The Dr and PA where right....I should have just let thing be...

So, Monday I will call and make an appointment to come in and have that 1/2 cc put back in...a week later....and face my good friend the PA......possibly the Dr also...

But it was a learning experience....who would have thought that a 1/2cc can make such a big difference....there really is that "PERFECT" balance...that sweet spot, whatever you want to call it.

I did learn my lesson...

Ok, just had to log in and share something that has happened to me over the past week....so it's time to log out and go back in hibernation.

If anything else significant should happen ( I really doubt it will) I will surely log back in and share.

Otherwise I will when my 4 year anniversary comes around.

Till then....

With so much success, do you mind saying why you wanted the unfill? Thanks for sharing your experience.

But it was a learning experience....who would have thought that a 1/2cc can make such a big difference....there really is that "PERFECT" balance...that sweet spot, whatever you want to call it.

Thanks for sharing B-52! I couldn't agree more. I had a small amount ( I don't know how much) removed about three weeks ago, due to getting stuck on a pill and having some irritation that lasted for a few days. I too, know that there must really be a fine line between "proper" adjustment and "close" adjustment. I am finding it more like a diet again now....and I suck at dieting. Can't wait to get back in to see my surgeon to return to the Happy spot for me. Best wishes!

Hey b-52, I haven't found the "perfect" balance since having a revision 2 years ago after a slip. Hope that you are good now!

Not sure if you'll see this message, B-52, but I am currently experiencing (sadly) exactly what you describe in your post, due to a partial emergency unfill I had to have in late March.

It really opened my eyes to the pure mechanical power the lapband has on both mind and body, and I miss that mindset.

I've got 2.5 months to wait out in this state...this state I had a one-year reprieve from. Now, I'm just like I was pre-band. Dieting. Hungry. Counting the hours until I can eat again. Sending food home with guests because I can't trust myself around the leftovers. Forbiding my kids to even think about having Cookies, chips or chocolate in their snack cabinet because I'll know they are there and it will drive me nuts.

I will never, ever take my band for granted (not that I ever did), nor doubt its effectiveness.

May you and Catfish87 be quickly restored to your sweetspot and never have to fiddle with the band again.

I have been banded 1 year with no fills. To tell you the truth the idea of a needle being put in my belly scares the hell out of me, but I have been stuck at 180 lbs. I want the last 20-30lbs to go away. Do you think I should get a fill? I also feel that I could snack all day long, especially when I am home. I have been going to the gym every week 3-4 times a week and still havent seen any improvement on the scale or my clothes. Please help.

Edited by Mwchicky

B52, this doesn't make me think any lesser of you. You're still a RICK STAR in MY book!!

Edited by HotButterFly