Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What tips/tricks do you do while eating in front of people?

Well, in honor of Easter just around the corner, I thought it might be an interesting conversation to see what tips and tricks you all do while eating and/or going out to restaurants with friends/family who don't know about your surgery! I was sleeved 4 months ago and I recently have found this getting more and more challenging. I can only use the excuse of "oh I just ate" or "I'm not feeling very well", etc...

For example: If I have the choice of restaurant,

I try and always choose a sushi place bc I can order sashimi and eat about 5 pieces of that and people don't question it because it's expensive and they know I'm not eating carbs. I also always have a straw with my Water (yeah, yeah) and I naturally will pick up my drink and put the straw in my mouth throughout my meal and not drink out of it. No red flags :). Oh, and to all the people who are going to post "That's why I told everybody and you should too..." Go ahead and save your time by not posting! Ha! :)

I try to keep it simple -- "I don't eat much," or "I'm not very hungry" or "cutting back, doctor's orders" -- I find if you throw a "doctor's orders" in there people will back off about your eating.

I don't fake it with the drinks, and I've found people don't even notice. I guess that's normal -- I don't pay attention to whether folks at the table are drinking either, now that I think about it!

I try to keep it simple -- "I don't eat much," or "I'm not very hungry" or "cutting back, doctor's orders" -- I find if you throw a "doctor's orders" in there people will back off about your eating. I don't fake it with the drinks, and I've found people don't even notice. I guess that's normal -- I don't pay attention to whether folks at the table are drinking either, now that I think about it!

Yeah, I wouldn't do the drink thing, but all of my family and friends would probably notice, seeing as I used to easily get 2 or 3 refills of Water during every meal at a restaurant. I seem to be fine when it's a group of people, but it's becoming harder and harder when it's just a meal one-on-one! I like the "doctors orders" thing!

We are starting to go out a lot, both of us about 5 months post op. I think Soup has been my favorite go to food, from about 5 weeks post op. I would order a cup and I could not eat it all but no one noticed. Like my husband says to me, quit worrying about what people think. LOL. We have told none of our friends about our sleeve per my husband's request *and it is awesome we don't have to discuss it). We will share an appetizer, a salad, a hamburger patty. Also, I will order grilled fish and cole slaw, which I tolerate well. We bring food home quite often, so the fridge is usually full of leftovers to snack on. I honestly say at times, I am not hungry, and do not feel compelled to order food. So does my husband, more often than me. Do you notice more how restaurants really bring enough food on a platter for 3 people? No wonder we got fat!

Soup is another great one!! It was especially great all winter, however summer may be a different story. I always feel so weird just ordering a cup because the waitress usually says something, to which my friend or family member will say "that's all you're getting?!"... I need to take your husband's advice and start not caring!

Soup is another great one!! It was especially great all winter, however summer may be a different story. I always feel so weird just ordering a cup because the waitress usually says something, to which my friend or family member will say "that's all you're getting?!"... I need to take your husband's advice and start not caring!

Honestly at first I was paying way too much attention, such as someone said "You didn't drink your water"! I thought every comment they were trying to guess I had surgery. There will come a time when you won't even think about it. Another thing, I like to preview menus online. I can tolerate chicken or tuna salad really well, and thank goodness I am back on salads with no problem. So summer fare has lots we can dine slowly on. I have noticed the servers think something is wrong with the food if we do not eat it all, but, we have to quit worrying about these other people. I will remind you LOL!

I don't think in over 4 yrs of having wls (the lapband in 2009 and a sleever revision in July 2013) anyone has ever even noticed how little I eat. At least no one has ever mentioned it. They see me getting smaller and watch me box up about 3/4 of my meal but no one has ever said anything.

Pretty much everyone I know knows about my surgery anyway. I'm not saying thats the best way - it's just the way I did it.

The only time I've been uncomfortable in a restuarant situation is back when I was banded, I vomited alot. Excusing myself to go to the restroom, hoping no one was in there. There's always someone in there when I hafta barf tho. I've heard "Are u ok?" more times than I can count...

Other than that, no problems explaining my appetite to friends and family. Even if they do know, it's not like we sit around and talk about it.

I echo what a bunch of other people have said. Most people do not notice. We are just much more aware of our activities than others.

If people do notice and question you, just say you are being very careful with your diet.

I work 12-14 hours a day out of state with a very close team. They haven't said anything, but I'm sure they notice that I am hardcore with the gym, and never go out to eat with them -- in fact I bring food on the plan with me, so that I have good options. They don't have any idea about the surgery, but for sure know that I am on a health kick.