Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyones Taste Buds Change After Being Sleeved?

I am 4 months out and since the first day after surgery my taste buds have not been the same. I cannot eat anything that has been processed, no Pasta or breads, anything that has chemicals in it or anything from a Pig… no pork chops, bacon – nothing… My body will actually just project it out of my mouth almost as soon as I put it into it. I know this is a good thing – but when I tell you Bacon use to be one of my food groups… and now I can’t stand the taste of it… it’s pretty crazy.

I am actually very thankful… it forces me to eat better.

All I drink is bottled Water, skim milk or Protein shakes – nothing else because I can’t take the taste… I use to drink Tea all the time… but now, I don’t like the taste… so weird!!

- Doctor said it’s an unexplained phenomenon that has happens to some… that my taste buds could come back in a month, or 6 months or a year – or never… there is no explanation…

Has anyone else experienced this??

Yes, it is fairly common. My first 6 months my tastes were completely different. At 8 months it's closer to what I liked pre-surgery, except for Pasta and bread.< /p>

You are not alone....

I can't do pork...and many sweeter drinks...I didn't like lemonade before, and now I do... we all have versions of this...

Good luck

Me!

Yesterday for lunch I had half of an avocado that had some white tuna salad ontop of it. Pre surgery...never would've eaten the avocado.

I still have the aversion to processed stuff, but now I can't deal with any red meats. No way.

Anything green that came from a tree or the ground gets my mouth watering now. White stuff? Not at all.

My body just naturally wants the healthy food now. I love it too.

I've also had an issue with textures in addition to taste. I ate an avocado yesterday which I loved pre-op but I kept feeling those Fiber strands and pulled them out of my mouth and started to dry heave. One I experience a weird texture (happened with eggs too) I avoid the food. Pre op I loved spicy foods, post op even bland foods can be too spicy. Lol. It's a pain.

I love salty things now, before not so much. But the effect of salt in my body is different now too, I love it but I defiantly makes me retain Water a lot, so I gotta go easy. I tried having a burger off my grill a week ago, bun less , and I couldn't stomach it. I was a little disappointed only because it's becoming harder to get my 80-100g of Protein, check that source off the list for now lol.

Yes, I love yogurt now but couldn't stand it before surgery. Same with broccoli. I don't like things very sweet anymore.

Hello Millergirl314,

Agreed! Salt totally effects my body differently - i get so puffy after i have had something salty... I only use Sea Salt... i try to drink more Water if i have any thing salty....

I tried a buger the other day and i was able to get in about 3 fork bites... (no roll) it was a little to heavy for my liking... so it might be awhile b4 i try it again... once it gets closer to summer LOL

i have to make sure i do my Protein shakes or i dont get in my Protein in...

Good luck to you in your weight loss :)