Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 14 days post op. Up until about 3 days ago I was feeling fine, not really hungry. Now I am starving all the time and want to eat everything I can get my hands on. I have not had any problems with food going down. I am drinking my Protein drinks and getting all my Water in. Physically I feel great. I just feel like I don't even have a band and am obsessing over food just like I was before the surgery. Is this normal? I realize I have not had a fill yet, but I just really expected to feel different at this point. I know it is a marathon not a sprint!!!!!! Any advice will be hugely appreciated!!!

Edited by Ga Gurl

Totally normal! Not a lot of us were told about this "bandster hell"....but it's very real for many. It was for me. The swelling from surgery subsides, and you feel no different than before banding. Exactly how it was for me too. Rest assured, after you start getting adjusments, the band works. Until then, its just willpower that will get you through this phase. Hang tough and do your best to limit your portion sizes. And try not to test the types of food you can eat. Stick to your surgeons choices and allow yourself to fully recover from surgery. There'll be happy days ahead! Best wishes! :)

Thank you catfish87 for your uplifting words!!!!!

Yeah, they never covered this one in the seminar, orientation or nutrition classes. Bandster Hell is real and it's probably not any different than dieting before surgery but it sure seems more intense don't it?

I was there for 3.5 months till my 3rd fill gave me some level of satiety. That was a difficult time for me. But, it's like a divorce, or having a baby or losing your job. 2 years later and it was a just a blip on the screen, a pebble on the bike trail.

tmf

Thank you 2muchfun!!!!!

Here is my story of Bandster Hell. My hubby and I were banded 3 days apart, as we were healing from our surgery it was not long maybe 5 days for me that I was "hungry"!!!

Before surgery I was doing great on my liquid diet but by a week post op I was done with shakes and sugary stuff. I wanted food real food. My hubby, he was swollen for quite a bit after surgery and had no interest in food he would tell me how can you even thing about eating! I could cause i was HUNGRY!!

To the point one day that I had to YELL at him to turn the TV off because I could smell the hot wings on the screen! (I don't even like or eat hot wings ever!) at that moment I would have eaten the TV screen :)

The best thing I could do was to keep myself distracted and not think about or look at food. So TV was out for me cause those commercials were a killer. I would go in the other room and munch on an ice pop, or drink some extra Water or just go and take a nap. Once you move to mush foods life will get better. I was in heaven again when I bought some Wendy's chili threw it in the blender with a scoop of fat free Sour Cream!!

Don't worry it won't last too long and you will do great!

Thank you lisacaron!!!

Your situation is very common. Hang tight. It's willpower for now but it will get easier with each fill.

Thank you steph2012!!!!!

Hey there, congratulations on your surgery! You will get through this time of healing and be on your way once the fills begin. Best wishes!

Thank you Bandista!!!!

Yep, normal. Here's the good news. Sticking to my post-op diet faithfully has actually decreased my hunger. I'm taking in about 800-1000 calories per day now, four weeks post-op and on liquids for two more weeks. When I don't have anything caloric between my liquid meals I actually have less hunger overall. When I snack, even Jello, I get hungrier during the day. I had to laugh today because I never in a million years would have thought I'd make it this far on such a restricted diet. My last solid food was 5-1/2 weeks ago! I'm just happy that it does get easier, and soon the band will be filled a little, I'll get solid food, and my band can start to help me lose weight instead of me doing it the white-knuckle way. Hang in there and before you know it you'll be in the next phase. P.S. I'm Catholic, and this was the easiest Lent ever. LOL

Hang in there kid. I used a lot of sugar free popsicles to get me through. I must admit my badster hell did not begin until I was about 8 to 10 months post surgery and most of the weight was off and I am now down 90 plus pounds and my band had to be adjusted because it was just a little too tight after I lost the weight. I am now having hunger issues. Oh, for a popsicle but I do my best each day to stay positive. If the TV drives you nuts and you can turn it off that is the best thing to do.

I go to Overeaters anonymous meetings about 3 times per week to get some strength as well as my monthly support group where I had my surgery. It will work itself out and in no time you will be shopping up a storm and melting your plastic away just like the pounds are melting away. Best of luck