Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I CRAZY and the ONLY one?

O'kay! Am I the ONLY one that doesn't FEEL the FULL sesation? Has my band slipped without me knowing it? Does it expand over time??

May I ask how many CC's you have in your band?

I don't think you are crazy - AT ALL! In fact because I have recently been both unrestricted and restricted so much that I couldn't even get Fluid down I can tell you that there is a very fine line between the band working and not working... all in MY opinion and experience.

That said, at 7 cc's I was still very much able to eat quite a bit albeit I am a pretty compliant patient so eating what I'm supposed to be eating but still able to eat more than a cup a sitting - then at 7.5 I was definitely feeling like "ok, this is how the band is supposed to work" in that I was only able to eat less than a cup especially earlier in the day but by days end (when I personally need the most restriction) I was still able to eat over a cup of food at a sitting. So, I went in for another fill really believing that I'd never get restricted enough - boy oh boy - I learned the HARD and DANGEROUS way where I was so tight I couldn't eat or drink anything and nearly collapsed my esophagus. Now I'm back to 4cc's and WIDE open - like I can eat a hamburger from Fudruckers open. :(

I've got to wait 30 days to be able to get a fill again - but now I know that my sweet spot is somewhere near 7.5 and I'm hopeful that doc will get me back there next fill. Even if he gets me to 7.0 I'll be happy. Also, I have learned that not eating before the fill and eating fluids the next 24-48 hours after a fill is VERY important b/c of swelling that may not occur right away - I'll definitely will not eat solids until a few days after a fill b/c I believe that me eating solids after a fill contributed to the trouble I got into last month.

This is probably too much info - but to offer some commiseration I don't think you are crazy I just don't think you are adjusted to the level you need to be at with your band.

No one is supposed to feel the "full" sensation. You're supposed to look for the satiety signals. If you're full, you've eaten too much. I went back and read some of your past posts. Jean McMillan is one of the magazine contributors here and this is what she wrote:

"I just had another thought, about something that might help you find your very own Green Zone. One of the biggest jobs for any WLS patient, no matter what surgical procedure they have, is learning how to recognize satiety. That's something I managed to completely ignore for 54 years before my band surgery, mainly because I was eating for a lot of reasons that had nothing to do with physical hunger, good nutrition, health, or any of that good stuff.

Satiety is the feeling of having eaten enough food for now. For someone like me who had a gaping void inside that no amount of food could ever fill, learning to recognize satiety wasn't just hard - it was scary. Deprivation was one of my worst fears. I think that fear exists to some extent in every living creature. If we don't eat, we eventually die - every single one of us. A morbidly obese, middle-class, middle-aged woman with a job and a home and loving friends and family is not likely to starve to death, but that fear haunted me for a long time.

Fortunately, I made lots of friends on online WLS sites like Bariatricpal who helped me by sharing their own satiety signals. The work of paying attention to and heeding those signals was all up to me. I got better at it as time went on. My conscious behavior and the effect of more saline in my band helped a great deal. Now that my beloved band is gone, that work is much harder, but like it or not, it's my job for life.

Other members have shared some of their "stop eating" signals on this thread, but please don't kick yourself (or blame your band) if all those signals don't happen to you on the magical, mythical day that your band is filled to an optimal level. Even if and when that day arrives, those signals and that optimal fill level are probably going to change. One of the best - and hardest to handle - consequences of my WLS has been learning to pay attention to and take good care of my body. It's the only one I have, and I plan to make it last a long, long time.

Jean"

No, you aren't crazy. I'm still working very hard to figure that out myself. I think there's a fine line between feeling satiety and feeling full and it's difficult for us to distinguish the difference because we're so used to continuing to eat until we feel full. I know for me, personally, if I stop when I no longer feel hungry but don't feel full yet, I have this overwhelming fear that I'm going to be hungry again in just a few hours so I eat more. I'm working hard to find the right place and the right feeling but it's difficult. After my last fill, I was getting what I recognized as a "soft stop" when eating my meals but since the fill settled and the swelling from that fill has gone down, I am not experiencing that as much. I think I may need another fill but I'm pretty sure I'm very close to the green zone at this point. Just keep working on it and paying attention to your body. You will figure it out as will I.

OMG Countrysweet you just took the words out of my mouth..."I have this overwhelming fear that I'm going to be hungry again in just a few hours so I eat more"...that's what I find myself doing over and over.....and I know I have to stop the madness....

No, you aren't crazy. I'm still working very hard to figure that out myself. I think there's a fine line between feeling satiety and feeling full and it's difficult for us to distinguish the difference because we're so used to continuing to eat until we feel full. I know for me, personally, if I stop when I no longer feel hungry but don't feel full yet, I have this overwhelming fear that I'm going to be hungry again in just a few hours so I eat more. I'm working hard to find the right place and the right feeling but it's difficult. After my last fill, I was getting what I recognized as a "soft stop" when eating my meals but since the fill settled and the swelling from that fill has gone down, I am not experiencing that as much. I think I may need another fill but I'm pretty sure I'm very close to the green zone at this point. Just keep working on it and paying attention to your body. You will figure it out as will I.

nothing wrong with being (hungry)...its your body telling you to eat something..so always focus on Protein first..its your fuel and will keep you (fuller for longer periods)...and def drink a lot.......sometimes people mistake being hungry for just being thirsty..anyhow.....hang in there..

I am definitly learning when Im hungry versa when Im bored. I know this sounds gross..but I eat tuna daily..2-3 times a day.. It satisfies me, Im good for like 4-5 hours after one can. Not sure Im suppose to eat a whole can, but Im not full when Im done. I just satisfied. And as far as only eatting a cup. I have to make myself stop at that. Cause I could definitly eat more. But I step away from the table, start cleaning up from the meal..then see if Im still hungry or satisfied.

I go this Thursday for another fill. Which will be my 3rd one. Im at 3cc of 10cc band. I had prior had a fill and I asked if she would give me more than normal due to the face I had lost my insurance and was paying for the fills out of pocket now. So she did..and OMG..let me tell you..she took me from 2 cc to 5cc. WOW! Way to restricted!! Couldnt get anything but liquids down for a week later. Went back, had some taken out to bring me to 3cc..Thinking I need to just inch up to 4 see how that goes for a while. But Iv been a platueu for about a month..So..Im ready to get this thing tightened.

Best of luck to you BeachBish...were all here for you while your taken this journey..We totally get it.

lapbandchic73

May I ask how many CC's you have in your band?

Hi - I haev a 10cc band...went to a 7.5 then had to go back down to 4 and now I'm back up at 5.5...?!?!?!? :/

that's what I have in mine and feel little to no restriction....but I try my very best to control my portions and though i'm eating way less than I did before the band, the weight isn't coming off and waiting on the green zone is trying my patience...lol

Same here folks. I go through this full/satiety battle every time I eat. That's why food addiction is worse than any other addiction. You can stop drinking, stop doing drugs, stop gambling. You can't stop eating.

For me, I weigh everything out. It helps when I don't feel the soft stop. And there are definitely times when I don't feel it. If I'm out for a meal, I eyeball portions. I'm better at it now but once in a while, I overdo. That's when the band kicks in. I can tell because for just a moment, I feel uncomfortable. When that happens, I stop even if it's in mid forkful.

Jean is absolutely right. The satiety signals are very subtle and you have to pay attention. What a change from before when I'd eat so fast it was like inhaling the food. I couldn't wait for seconds or even thirds. Eating slowly and small portions does help me to enjoy food more rather than focusing on eating as much as possible.

..And it's true. Being normal sized is a better feeling than overeating...even if the food tastes fantastic.

Edited by gowalking

Well Im ready to get to the green zone. Paying for these fills is breaking me. But hopefully this one.and one more and Ill be done..($500 later..augh)

Really wish you the best..I know its all worth it..Just getting there.. :unsure:

;) :huh: B) :rolleyes: :blink:

THANK YOU each for your stories, suggestions, and sharing your battles and experiences with me.
We are ALL in this together and it is SO TRUE....maybe my thoughts were the band was a MAGICAL tool that would STOP the insanity. IT doesn't - IT IS ALLLLLL MENTAL :o &*%*$#!!

Is there a such thing as being satisfied when eating or maybe it's like soem of you say...JUST STOP and PUSH BACK! :rolleyes:

However...with THAT being said I've heard that the closer you get to green the smaller the fill. That mayeb 1.4 or even 1/2 can make a world of difference. I don't even feel restriction in the am and I think I should. This thread and site will be my first beginning of the day as to gather my witts and remind me of the logn term goal.

Keep the tricks of the trade coming y'all.... have a wonderful day and push back at 1 cup of healthy foods.