Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does it just put you in a NEW stage of awkward?

So, as overweight people...we typically feel awkard or uncomfortable when we go out (out to eat, even more specifically). We feel like people are staring or judging, or feel like we arent like everyone else.

So, I got to wondering...after surgery, does it put you in a whole new stage of feeling awkward? Do you still not feel like you fit in or like people are staring or that you are different...but this time because you CANT eat?

I travel for work and was at lunch and then at dinner with coworkers. lunch is always rushed because we have to get back to the shows we work. I was wondering if I had surgery...how I would handle those situations and If It would just be a continuation of being in awkward situations.

What advice or input can you offer?

Thank you!

A prospective sleever :)

Edited by Flutterfly19

If you are eating alot less people will probably just figure you are on a diet. If the idea of people suspecting you have had WLS bothers you.... there is no way anyone can tell you've had surgery simply by observing you following a diet and eating less.

As far as not eating. Why would you not eat? Just choose the correct foods and limit the amount. It they go to places that don't have food for you diet.......take your own or pass on going. Don't be intimidated or concerned about anyone else's perceptions and don't let others actions derail your ability to follow your plan.

Relax, you're putting too much thought into feeling uncomfortable. You'll do fine. ;)

Yep, be prepared!

I always carry a Quest bar for a quick meal/snack if I need it, or raw almonds.

Almost all restaurants have a baked chicken option these days, so you should be able to find something you can eat at all times... but if you are concerned, PACK your meal...

It will work itself out...

I think most people are far more involved with themselves than we realize. I am almost 11 months out and never once has anyone commented on what I am eating, what I am NOT eating or how much/little I eat. I am not one who has told many people so I was worried sick about it.

Yeah. People don't care. They don't notice that I don't drink when I eat, they don't notice I push my food around, they don't notice that 95% of what I order goes into a doggie bag. Just like most people won't be able to tell you what you wore last week or what color your eyes are, they don't watch your food as much as you would like to think. For real.

I'm almost shocked at how much no one notices. Occasionally a waiter says something, but out of politeness. It's pretty much a non-issue.

Yes, when you barely have touched the food the waiters always ask if everything was all right (if they are good waiters anyway)...

just relax and enjoy who you are!

so far i've only ordered Soup when i'm out. finishing it is not a problem since it is liquid (and it's always something healthy). and no one bats at eye at having soup! so i don't feel awkward at all.

who cares what others think? they are worried if they can cover this months bills, who's birthday they forgot, and if their wi-fi reception is any good. oh and what they are gonna watch tonight on TV.

you are fabulous! they dont matter. order and eat what you should so you can rock your sleeve!

I have only had one person comment and she was problem trying to find out if I had surgery.

After a few months you can eat more anyway, so it is a small amount, but not something to really comment about. In the beginning a few people wondered why I ate only the Protein from my salad (lettuce was still hard for me). It is odd to be on a diet and not eat salad....but I just said I was fine and that was the end of it!