Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Out of the Mouth's of Babes

Last night I was on instant messanger with my College Son who is 22 and a fitness guru and studies nutrition and exercise science ect.....

He started getting on me, (in an instant message no less) about my diet, about exercise. This went on forever. Back and forth. I was unsure if I should bring up the Lap Band with him, assuming he would jump all over it in a negative way and saying that I should be able to do it without surgery.

But to my surprise, I sent him a link, and he said, and i quote: "the band is pretty cool how it works". You could have picked me up off the floor. He did further say that all the testimonials to the bands success emphasis proper eating and exercise. I told him I knew that. So he says get a head start, start doing it now. This was going back and forth for like two hours.

He asked me what was I eating at that very moment. I said nothing, he said "don't like Mom, you always eat at the computer, what is in front of you right now?' I told him and empty bottle of Water. A few minutes later I hear another son come up from Down stairs who had been woken up on his cell phone to come and look and see what was in front of me. It was unreal.

Anyway, kids are a pain in the butt sometimes.

But i was glad he looked at the info and thought the concept was a good one.

Sorry to ramble.

vicki in indy

Hi Vicki!

Welcome.

That's pretty intense how closely your kids check up on you... lol

I don't do well with people trying to run my life, even if they're trying to run it in the direction I want to go... I would not have had the patience to have that back & forth IM conversation! As soon as he started telling me what to do, I would have said, "Gotta run!!! Love ya, BYE!!" lol

Keep us posted on how your plans progress!!

That cracks me up! The other son was woke up by his cell phone! How sweet.....your sons really care.

Well, did they catch you red handed?

Originally posted by donali

Hi Vicki!

Welcome.

That's pretty intense how closely your kids check up on you... lol

I don't do well with people trying to run my life, even if they're trying to run it in the direction I want to go... I would not have had the patience to have that back & forth IM conversation! As soon as he started telling me what to do, I would have said, "Gotta run!!! Love ya, BYE!!" lol

Keep us posted on how your plans progress!!

Oh trust me, I must have said goodbye five times. I even printed the whole im to keep. I didn't want to argue with him because basically he was right, he just doens't understand. But my patience was thin. I was just thankful it was over the computer and not in person.

But it was strange to get berated over the computer.

In his defense, he did say

Your My Mom and I love you and I am watching you die a slow death.

I hope that means he cares.

The only good part about the conversation was his approval of the LAP BAND, which I am not saying I need, but comming from him it was interesting.

Vicki in Indy

Originally posted by Lisa Green

Well, did they catch you red handed?

Nope I was clean as a whistle, just an empty Water bottle.

The son that got woke up was like "what is going on"

vicki in indy

That is TOO funny! I have 23 and 20 year old sons. They don't know I'm banded, or they'd be keeping an eye on me, too. You have your own built-in "Band Patrol". But they love you and care about you. That's sweet!:D

Originally posted by New Hope

That is TOO funny! I have 23 and 20 year old sons. They don't know I'm banded, or they'd be keeping an eye on me, too. You have your own built-in "Band Patrol". But they love you and care about you. That's sweet!:D

And I am not banded yet, wait till that happens, the one in college will know better than i what i can eat. But his biggest thing is exercise. He hounds about that all the time.

vicki in indy

Your sons obviously love you very much. What a cute story! I'm glad to hear that they will be supportive of you, should you get the band. Sounds like a healthy relationship when you can pull and tug at serious yet tender issues like this. You're blessed.

You really won't fail when you get your band! But it sounds like those boys are going to "keep a fire lit under you" as a good back up plan. It's great that your oldest son is health conscious. Hopefully he's developing habits that will help him live a healthy lifestyle and avoid our health-related problems.:D

Oh yes they will keep a fire lit under me.

I four sons and they all are very health conscious and althletic.

The two in the middle (one of them the college guy) were high school wrestling champions. So they know what it is like to be hungry. So they don't have a lot of sympathy sometimes. They have this "tough love" approach.

their dad and I are divorced. their dad would think that surgery was the whimps way out.

My husband now, is very supportive. And he is sympathetic, probably a little too much.

First husband didn't think I could do anything right and current hubby thinks I can't do anything wrong.

What a difference.

Vicki in Indy

Originally posted by Vickitoo

[bFirst husband didn't think I could do anything right and current hubby thinks I can't do anything wrong.

What a difference.

Vicki in Indy [/b]

Aren't you glad it's not the other way around?:D

Originally posted by New Hope

Aren't you glad it's not the other way around?:D

Thankful everyday.

vicki in indy

Vicky,

Welcome! I loved your story too. I am 30 and my younger brother is 24 and we love to nag my poor mom too. She is a pack rat and we are always trying to get her to go thru some of her stuff and get rid of it. Her fetish is clothes and shoes. She also struggles with weight and me being banded has inspired her. Best wishes, Teresa

They sound a little like my son. He was not in favor of the band. He thought I just needed to eat right and exercise. DUH, why didn't I think of that!!!!! lol Anyway, now when he comes over he tells me I am getting thinner all the time. He won't however, say anything positive about the band. That doesn't bother me....hey, it's my band, not his.