Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise causing weight gain

I recently started running again, I keep my calories at around 1200 and it seems like my scale is moving in the wrong direction! My clothes a fitting better though... But then there is that constant pressure to lose weight by my next Dr. Appt which has me stressed out! Have any of my fellow bandsters gone through this?

This is more than likely due to the fact that muscle weighs more than fat so you are losing fat and gaining muscle thus you weigh more... Don't get hung up on the numbers on the scale!! Keep exercising and it will all even out!!

I doubt you are adding a lot of muscle mass at this point. Running doesn't really bulk you up ... at all.

What it does do, though, is help store glycogen more efficiently in your muscles. Glycogen is mainly stored in your liver, but when your body sees it needs more resources, due to additional exercise, it will begin to also store glycogen in muscles. One of the differences, though, is when it is stored in muscles, it must also bond with Water in a 4 to 1 ratio. So, if you are storing an additional pound of glycogen, you also have to store an additional 4 pounds of Water. This equates to 5 additional pounds!

So then you think, "Woa! I'm giving up all exercise, then!"

Well, as you mention, your clothes are fitting better. I'm also guessing you have great energy and have a better overall feeling of wellness. Not even to mention the heightened metabolism. I know when I was running regularly, my body was a furnace and my weight loss was incredible. Don't worry about the scale or your doctors if you decide to stay committed to this. They will understand what exercise is doing for you.

And ditch the scale. It measures weight, not fat. What are you looking to lose?

This is more than likely due to the fact that muscle weighs more than fat so you are losing fat and gaining muscle thus you weigh more... Don't get hung up on the numbers on the scale!! Keep exercising and it will all even out!!

Muscle Does not weigh more than fat.

A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of butter

I doubt you are adding a lot of muscle mass at this point. Running doesn't really bulk you up ... at all.

What it does do, though, is help store glycogen more efficiently in your muscles. Glycogen is mainly stored in your liver, but when your body sees it needs more resources, due to additional exercise, it will begin to also store glycogen in muscles. One of the differences, though, is when it is stored in muscles, it must also bond with Water in a 4 to 1 ratio. So, if you are storing an additional pound of glycogen, you also have to store an additional 4 pounds of Water. This equates to 5 additional pounds!

Well, as you mention, your clothes are fitting better. I'm also guessing you have great energy and have a better overall feeling of wellness. Not even to mention the heightened metabolism. I know when I was running regularly, my body was a furnace and my weight loss was incredible. Don't worry about the scale or your doctors if you decide to stay committed to this. They will understand what exercise is doing for you.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! Your post really made a lot of sense. I feel so much better after reading it. I guess I will just keep at! The scale has to go down soon, right? Lol

It is such a peeve for me to hear "muscle weighs more than fat" lol no it weighs the same it just takes up less space!

I'm so glad you asked this question because I got on here in the same search!! I began really working out hard this week (running, weights, barre class) and seriously EVERY DAY, the scale has gone up .5 lbs. EVERY DAY! I can handle stalls all day long (I'm 4 months post op), but gaining was really bothering me! I'll continue to keep on, keepin' on!

Thankful for this post as well. I have been on the treadmill for months but down to my last 10 pounds I want to lose. Still on my treadmill but started to work out with a personal trainer to tone areas that are in need. My scales have gone up around 2 pounds and it freaks me out. I am scheduled for a Tt at the end of next month and was hoping to drop 8 pounds by then but am focusing in being in better shape. Makes me feel good to know others are having the same battle.

I haven't gained yet but have stayed the same weight for a couple of months. Have been working out hard - 4 hours of heavy strength training a week and at least 30 minutes of cardio a day (a couple of days a week I have been hitting 90 minutes). It's good to know I am not the only one.

I am now in the same boat. I have been working out like 6 days a week and for almost 2 hours on those days doing half elliptical and half circuit/strength and I added C25K this week in addition to that. I just weighed after hiding the scale for a week only to find I gained a pound!!! I know my clothes fit better it's just discouraging because I'm working so hard! I need to find a way to calculate how many calories to eat and burn to lose. I think I'm burning to much and not eating enough. Who knows. End rant

Another great post by PdxMan! Thank you for explaining it so well! My typical response is that the body is holding onto water more (in a non-bloated way) with the exercise. This is so much better! Bottom line.....the weight gain is not fat and that's the main thing. Dr's who ONLY look at the number on the scale and judging their pateints by that are not really looking out for their patient's best interest. Again.....great post!

Edited by aroundhky

Muscle Does not weigh more than fat. A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of butter

Muscle weighs more by volume. A pound of anything weighs the same as a pound of anything else. But a cup of muscle will weigh more than a cup of fat. Muscle has more density. Volume matters. That's why you can gain weight, ie muscle, and still loose inches. It's also why you can have a high BMI but not be over weight. Sorry....I'm a little nerdy when it comes to physics.

Ya but it takes a lot more feathers than butter..lol

Thanks carolinagirl...wish more people would realize this...fat doesn't weigh more than muscle!!! LOL

Edited by Mikee57