Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair loss with band vs. sleeve

It seems Hair loss is greater in people who get bypass or sleeve compared to band...banders seem to look overall healthier during their loss. Would you agree? I need to make a decision pretty soon. Thanks

The initial hair loss is related to general anesthesia, more than the WLS type and is temporary. The extent of the Hair loss can be affected by the length of time you're under...

Since sleevers don't malabsorb, they don't lose more or less than banders.

RNY pts who don't keep up with their Vitamins can suffer malnutrition and resulting hair loss.

I lost a lot of hair (1/2) with my band, a little with my gallbladder and a lot again with my band removal, a 3.5 hour surgery. It is starting to come in again and I think it's because I'm eating better post band.

I also lost alot of hair with my band...but not for about six months post-op. Then I had additional surgery shortly thereafter and even more hair came out. It took several months for it to grow back. It's been a total of 7 months since the hair started to fall out and I'm 15 months post banded. I think it has alot to do with the weight loss. I started to up my Protein and I also took Biotin and Iron. In time, those seemed to do the trick.

Mentalist stunk on Sunday eh? Usually quite good though. Wonder if and where it will end up at seasons end?

@@mentalistfan i would agree that banders typically look healthier than the others. i know people who have had other surgeries and lost too much weight way too soon. they don't look healthy. i know each case is different; i'm just speaking from what i have seen and what my experience is with fam/friends :)

My doctor seems to think the Hair loss is from a lack of Protein. He suggests around 60g per day.

Edited by fatty2hottie

Has anyone used Nioxin Shampoos/conditioners? I bought some and hope it helps reduce hair fall.

Mentalist stunk on Sunday eh? Usually quite good though. Wonder if and where it will end up at seasons end?

I don't know what was wrong with the original premise of the show...seems like they're reinventing the wheel they just reinvented.

I don't know what was wrong with the original premise of the show...seems like they're reinventing the wheel they just reinvented.

I miss the old stomping grounds and Grace and Wayne in their old roles.

I went to the seminar tonight...this surgeon doesn't care for lap-band, he said they last an average of 12 years. I do think banders look healthier over other WLS people. I guess I am looking at getting sleeved!

I lost hair when I didn't eat enough protein.... I also supplemented with Biotin which is supposed to help Hair growth.< /p>

It seems Hair loss is greater in people who get bypass or sleeve compared to band...banders seem to look overall healthier during their loss. Would you agree? I need to make a decision pretty soon. Thanks

I don't know if it matters which you choose. I had a cousin that had by pass maybe 25-30 years ago before they knew things and she went bald. Since then they know Protein helps. I do have the band and my husband said I had hair loss in a very tiny section but you had to look for it. I now take Biotin Good luck. Do what will make you happy. Not your doctor not friends or anyone on this site. It's your body not theirs.

I'm sure anything that causes less absorption of Protein (and calories and other nutrients) would result in some Hair loss. As I understand it, the band doesn't cause malabsorption.

I went to the seminar tonight...this surgeon doesn't care for lap-band, he said they last an average of 12 years. I do think banders look healthier over other WLS people. I guess I am looking at getting sleeved!

12 years is a long time! The sleeve isn't fool proof either because the stomach can stretch and go back to it's normal size by overeating a small amount over time.

The point with both of these surgeries is to learn how to control portions. Once you do that, managing weight becomes much easier.