Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated and tired of string cheese!

Im 6 weeks out and the only food I can tolerate without vomiting is string cheese or baby bell cheese.. I'm so friggin tired of cheese, I only lost weight weeks 1&2 out of surgery !!! I can't get my Water in cause I'm always so tired and need to nap. I'm going back to work Friday idk how I can handle that when I can't even handle life right now ..ugh feeling lost

Are you taking anything for nausea? Until you start drinking the Water, the weight won't come off. You may need to go to the ER and get an IV so you won't be dehydrated. The dehydration is making you tired. At the ER they can put something in the IV that will help with that nausea and you will feel like a new woman. I haven't had any issues since my surgery but with all of my pregnancies I was nauseated 24/7 and became dehydrated often. The occasional trip to the ER for my drip was what saved me. I was able to eat and drink after these sessions. I'm surprised your doctor hasn't told you to go to the ER. Please check into it.

Are you able to tolorate smoothies? I was only able to tolorate limited items also (string cheese was and is still one of them), but I also have smoothies as my go to as well.

I don't know if that is an option for you, but it's worth a try.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

I went for Iv fluids once already and tests all came out normal. I don't take anything for nausea because I don't have any with my vomiting . I eat it stuff and then it just hurts bad then I just open my mouth and it comes out. I don't even have spasms or straining or noise like when I used to vomit before surgery . And I feel totally fine afterwards. Drinking hurts still too and I can do maybe 20oz a day because I sip then burp for 10 min.. It really sucks! I want to just chug a bottle of Water

I have been still trying to drink a shake a day for Protein but it still takes me a good 1-2 hrs to get a shake down!!

Protein shakes make me sick, but fruit smoothies make me feel a lot better when I can't keep anything down, or don't have an appetite.

Have you experimented with different liquids and different temperatures? Many early post-ops find plain Water hard to get down, something with a little bit of crystal light, mio, or other flavoring, or even tea can help. Some people find the temperature makes a difference - some like it ice cold, others hot, others just warm. The hydration really is crucial. For anything else, thinner is better. broth, very thin Soup, etc. You may just have a particularly tight / swollen sleeve, that will get better. But even though it doesn't feel like you're straining, if what you consume is coming back up again, that may be keeping your sleeve irritated and swollen.

Sounds like you may have a stricture in your esophagus - particularly because of the way you describe your reaction to water/food: "I eat stuff and then it just hurts bad then I just open my mouth and it comes out. I don't even have spasms or straining or noise like when I used to vomit before surgery . And I feel totally fine afterwards. Drinking hurts still too and I can do maybe 20oz a day because I sip then burp for 10 min."

Please call and talk to your surgeon or at least the office staff about that specific possibility. If that is the case the doc can dilate it and that might just fix you right up.

Best wishes!

Darianna, let me ask you this...how long were you supposed to be on Clear Liquids for? And did you follow it closely? The reason I'm asking is because there is a reason why there are phases. Basically after surgery, your stomach is swollen and fragile. The clear liquids phase is meant to allow you to recieve hydration while allowing your sleeve to heal and reduce in swelling. If you don't follow the rules that they give you, unfortunately, I hate to say it, but you have a big problem on your hands...

Vomiting at 6 weeks isn't normal unless you are just eating too big bites and/or eating too fast. Took me 5 months to get the bite size and timing down. I second calling your dr. Just to check.

I didn't have a clear liquids phase , I had to drink 2 choc shakes before leaving the hospital ( I was in for 5 days for vomiting) I was on shakes for 2 weeks and had no more vomiting issues then I started full liquids and did okay with yogurts . Then I was allowed eggs and puréed stuff and was able to keep some Soups down and some puréed tuna.. Eggs didn't sit no matter how soupy. Now I'm on soft foods and the only thing that never causes an issue is cheese. Sometimes I can eat something and it's fine and then the next time I try the same food it comes right back up. I'm cleared for all foods on Friday but I don't see that happening since I can't even handle most soft foods now. I'm going to try all shakes for a few days and work on getting in fluids because I've been dizzy lately if I bend over so I want to concentrate on rehydrating. The doc says everything is fine and just I'm a slow healer!! Hopefully back tracking a little helps

Oh okay, well as long as everything is okay..I'm so annoyed that they didn't put you on clear liquids on post op..I'm on a 14 day clear liquid phase..and so far no nausea or vomitting...this wouldn't have happened if they did things the way they did with me..I'm sorry that you had to suffer that way! I hope it gets easier! Good luck, doll :)

Go back in phases. Do clear liquids for a couple days to stay hydrated. Then progress to full liquids, then puréed etc. you have to play around with thickness of liquid, temp, and texture. It takes a bit. I like thinner, colder liquids. Skim milk based drinks go down easier for me than a thick shake. I like Popsicles too and warm liquids go down good too. You have to be patient and look for options.

I sometimes still have issues with certain foods and am 5 months post op. Around the first few months I had real issues with getting enough Protein and tolerating anything. I agree that going back to the basics will help. broth, pureed Soups, Protein Shakes should all be on your diet right now until your pouch heals up more. I still occassionally have a day where I cannot tolerate certain foods. Also, if I eat too much its not a vomiting feeling its more like regurgitation, which is gross but if I push too much in too fast thats what happens. When I eat really slowly and stick to seafood I am good. Still cant really eat BBQ or tougher meats. I have days where I can eat anything, then I have other days where I have to really be careful. Although the pouch likes jerky...so who knows?? The pouch does what it wants. ;)