Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Mexico

Tall guy

For me, I have Blue Cross of California and they do not cover the band yet and even if they did..I do not think I would of qualified for it. I had NO co morbitities from being overweight. No high blood pressure, no sleep Apnea, No Arthritis, back or joint pain, No diabetes. Just Plain ol' FAT! I did check it out in the US (California) as a self pay but the price difference was huge. Way cheaper to have it done in Mexico and most of the docs I spoke with here in California spoke very highly of Dr. Ortiz since he is a proctor for Inamed and has trained many of the US docs in how to preform the surgery. I only live an hour and a half from the border so aftercare for me was not an issue, in the event of an emergency however I do have an ER hospital here in my area that is experienced with the band, so far so good though 5 months post op..2 fills and down 51.75 lbs. I'm happy with my aftercare in TJ.

That's my story

Hey Tall Guy,

I was also a Mexico patient. It is a LOT cheaper in Mexico and I found the hospital I had my surgery in was just as comfortable (even more so in my opinion) than U.S. hospitals. My surgeon had a LOT more experience than most american surgeons. I live in Oregon so not anywhere close to the border but was able to establish after care in a city nearby where I live (before I had the surgery- VERY important). My insurance would not cover the procedure at all, and I didn't want to waste months of time and money fighting them on it. Teresa

Hi Tall Guy

I went to Monterrey Mx. I didn't want to fight the Insurance battle, I had NO co morbicities and it's cheaper.

does U.S. health care ins. pay for the band in Mexico?

I did put in a claim with Blue Cross (PPO) as soon as I got home, 2 months later it was declined.

Another banster explained how she kept putting in claims and finally received a partial pay out. So this last June I put in another claim and they replied with needing more break-down/itemizing costs, Doctor notes and addresses which I compiling now. Hopefully I'll recover some of my costs.:D

Hi Tall Guy,

I went to Mx because I did not want the bypass and that was the only way I would qualifiy through Kasier. They said it was bypass or self pay so I self paid. I did not want the hassel either.

I was banded almost two years ago. My local doctor had done about 30 bands, and the cost would have been $30,000. My doctor in Monterrey, MX, had done 1400 bands, has a band himself and was $10,000.

Even if the price had been the same, the experience was a huge factor for me.

HOWEVER, there's Mexico and there's Mexico. Pretty much anyone who wants to open a hospital there can. And there are many, many hospitals of varying size, quality and reputation in most Mexican cities. Even the nicer, newer hospitals that some of the Mexcian doctors use, are very, very different that what one would find here. Be aware of what YOUR needs are, and then find a good match.

Going to Mexico was difference between getting banded and dying. I was 313 and have anxiety disorder so I'm constantly stressed out. I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea (I slept with a breathing machine to keep my heart beating.) But I was too afraid to get a bypass, and insurance wouldn't pay for the band.

I only qualified for $8,000 worth of credit. Here's the deal:

Band here in Vegas is approximately $24,000...

My price in Mexico - $7,500

'Nuff said?

By the way, I'll always suffer from anxiety, but now my blood pressure is normal, cholesterol normal, and I don't even know what dusty old cabinet my breathing machine is in... I'm flying solo, breathing like a big girl all on my own!

Tall Guy, there may be isolated instances of US insurers reimbursing people for Mexican surgery, but on the whole it's not common. Most US insurance policies explicitly exclude non-emergent treatment received in other countries.

If you have a carrier that covers treatment for morbid obesity, and you can qualify on medical grounds, you have a good chance of getting surgery in the U.S. Good luck!!

Sounds like fun to me!! I'm up for a party! I'm disappointed that I can't make it to Las Vegas this year. I had a prior commitment with my hubby to go to Cruisin the Coast, a street rod party on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I know that ya'll will have a great time.