Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Packing for surgery... hints anyone?

Good morning!

I'm having surgery Wednesday morning.

I'm a real data geek, and in some respects, a "real boy scout" for prepping, so I'm getting ready (butterflies and all)

I would sincerely appreciate any tips on anything I might be missing or that you found helpful?

Here's what I'm currently carrying...

• A pillow and case (comfort, AND to place between myself and the seat belt on the way home)..
  • ChapStick
  • A list of my medicines
  • Earbuds (or something to listen to during your recovery)
  • Clothing
    • Sweats for the ride home.
    • Robe (if I can find one in my size)
    • Underwear / Socks / slippers
  • Water bottle for the ride home
  • Personal toiletries (toothbrush,toothpaste,shampoo,bodywash,lotion,deodorant,noxema / nasal strips)
  • Insurance card
  • iPad, iPhone, and chargers
    • Extension cable
  • Gas-X
  • Baby wipes

Sounds like you've got it. I took pajama pants instead of a robe for walking the halls. Good thoughts coming your way!!

Well thought out, Wayne. You won't need much. I'm three weeks post surgery and you'll be surprised how quickly you recover.

Thanks for the replies. A bit nervous about it all at this point. I keep thinking "what the bleep are you doing?" And such, but I'm hoping everyone is right about the recovery process (for me)...

I'm also sneaking in air freshener for the gas if there's visitors.

a heating pad.. just incase they don't have one.. Hot blankets just didn't cut it enough..

It helps when you are laying in bed to relieve the gas.

Thanks. Heating pad on your back?

That's mostly what I took but I didn't use most of it. I wasn't aloud to take anything with me into preop, they took my clothes back to my husband. I took my iPad and headphones and never used them because I spent so much time sleeping. The only thing I really used was lip balm, my hair brush, tooth brush, and deodorant.

A comb... I forgot mine...

heating pad for your belly. the heat helps a lot..

My surgery isn't until April 21st and my bag is fully packed! Heating pad included. Lol

I would suggest leaving your iPad at home. I was either asleep, or walking. As for the gasx they should be giving that to you in the hospital and may not allow you to take your own. I would add your own pillow if you are particular about that. Good luck

My surgery last Wednesday went off "without a hitch", unless you count the pain afterwards as a hitch.

FYI, I packed everything in my initial list. Everything I thought I'd need, and everything that others had suggested. In the 2 days I was in the hospital, what did I find useful? Absolutely nothing.

Not once, save for retrieving my iPad and iPhone (to let everyone know I was ok) did I even need, or have the opportunity to open my own bag. Not even for clean socks (provided) or underwear (I was always sufficiently gowned and they were uncomfortable to get on and off)...

So in the end, it's hard to offer a recommendation because everyone's hospital or coverage is a little different. Being prepared isn't bad, but be prepared to be over-prepared when the time gets here for you.

Wayne

Edited by Wayne Hunt

I'm glad everything went well. I'm always over prepared and I figured I wouldn't need everything but that's the woman in me. Lol Maybe I will grab my suitcase and downsize.

I agree. The main thing to pack are loose fitting clothes for the trip home. I was at the hospital Tues-Fri, and I slept most of the time.. and walked. I should have packed soap and a washcloth, because nobody could find any when it was time for me to take a shower. lol