Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble with cravings

I am 12 days post-op and have started to have really bad cravings. They are worse when I am cooking meals for my family. It sometimes makes me resentful and even sad. I guess just wondering if that is normal and would like suggestions on how to get over it.

Hi

You don't say what surgery you had but I can tell you that with any WLS if you give in you will become every sick.

You are only less then two weeks out so may I suggest trying these two things to satisfy a sweet craving if that is what you have.

sugar free Bomb Pops Popsicles made with Splenda. These work well for me.

The other is Petite Deceit sugar free hard candy that you can purchase on Amazon.< /p>

I would also contact your nutritionist or surgeon and tell them what's going on with you and ask them for suggestions for help.

Also if there is any Bariatric meetings in your area I suggest that you attend them so you can get input from others that have had WLS.

Good luck and hang in there it's so worth it.

Hi, sorry about that I had a gastric bypass. I didn't give in because I didn't want to mess up my progress I just hate feeling that way. I am going to see the nutritionist on Tuesday so I will talk to her about my issues. Thank you for the input :-)

Hi, sorry about that I had a gastric bypass. I didn't give in because I didn't want to mess up my progress I just hate feeling that way. I am going to see the nutritionist on Tuesday so I will talk to her about my issues. Thank you for the input :-)

we were just talking about cravings in another thread, what I do is find something to take my mind off them. I had RYN 3-17 and I've had a few recently, my nut. Said they're normal.

I have the same problem. I am almost 3 weeks post op. I find myself looking at food online, dreaming of food and these cravings are REAL! I always call my dad or my friend , whom also had the gastric bypass. They help me by talking me through it. Also I was told to join a group like this and it would help me stay busy and focused off food! My dad told me this after my surgery "Food made us the way we are. There is a skinny you just waiting to come out! Show food that you are able to fight it's craving. NOW LET THAT SKINNY YOU COME OUT!" I often say this over and over in my mind. I have never been skinny but I am so looking forward to it! Good luck to you!

I have the same problem. I am almost 3 weeks post op. I find myself looking at food online, dreaming of food and these cravings are REAL! I always call my dad or my friend , whom also had the gastric bypass. They help me by talking me through it. Also I was told to join a group like this and it would help me stay busy and focused off food! My dad told me this after my surgery "Food made us the way we are. There is a skinny you just waiting to come out! Show food that you are able to fight it's craving. NOW LET THAT SKINNY YOU COME OUT!" I often say this over and over in my mind. I have never been skinny but I am so looking forward to it! Good luck to you!

great advice your dad gave, we can handle it, always gonna be a struggle until are minds are retrained.

That is great advice!! Hopefully Tuesday I'll get good news and I can add a little variety. I go back to work Wednesday so that will help too I won't be home thinking about food all day.

I had the same issue - craving what my husband was eating, wanting to revert to buying "snacks" when food shopping. I was on "liquids only" for the first 10 days post-surgery (that was the worst time for hunger and cravings), and then allowed pureed food - will be on that for another week (4 weeks total). One thing that has helped me is cooking things for my family that I can eat pureed (not everything works well) e.g spaghetti sauce made with ground turkey, mushrooms and a little Tomato sauce. I'm not prone to sweet cravings but sugar-free pudding is very satisfying. Hope this helps - hang in there.

Y'all, these feeling, cravings, dreaming is all normal.. we had an addiction! It will take a long time to heal, if ever.. but your surgery will keep you in line. Its ok to want these things, but as time goes by most of us say" oh forget it" after trying to eat them OR seeing such good results or both! I'm one of those that dumped early on and said never again! I smell stuff, even have others describe what they ate.. all this has helped me fight the addiction. . You can and will do it too!

Lol last night my husband was eating cheese nips so I took one just to smell it and that made me happy, he thinks I'm nuts!!

Y'all, these feeling, cravings, dreaming is all normal.. we had an addiction! It will take a long time to heal, if ever.. but your surgery will keep you in line. Its ok to want these things, but as time goes by most of us say" oh forget it" after trying to eat them OR seeing such good results or both! I'm one of those that dumped early on and said never again! I smell stuff, even have others describe what they ate.. all this has helped me fight the addiction. . You can and will do it too!

Lol last night my husband was eating cheese nips so I took one just to smell it and that made me happy, he thinks I'm nuts!!

hahahaha

thanks loving!