Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did you take off work for your VSG?

I have my date set - 4/21 and quite excited. I have a desk job (no lifting) and work from home. For the most part, a very easy job during this time of year. I am trying to avoid the FMLA thing and wondering how long others were off from work. I consulted two surgeons for my surgery and one office said if I had the surgery on a Friday, I could be back at work on the following Monday. I didn't have much faith in that surgeon and going with another but hadn't thought to ask and won't see him for another 10 days or so. From what I have been reading - some people have been off for 1 week and others 3-4 weeks (perhaps due to complications?). I would appreciate hearing experiences others had.

Im a student. I had surgery on a Wednesday, the day before my spring break started. So I had 12 days off. But I probably could have actually gone back right on Monday, if it weren't for break.

It all depends on the person, really. I'm a fairly fast healer, so I knew only having a week and a half off would be fine. Granted, I pulled the healing muscles a week after surgery, and that actually set me back a bit. In fact im 5.5 weeks out and the incision is still bothering me. But besides that, I've been pretty good since the weekend after surgery. :)

Four and a half weeks. I go back to work on Monday 3/31. I probably could have gone back sooner, but used the time to really get some personal things done as well take care of myself. I also treated myself to a spa day yesterday and got my hair done, so I feel really great about that and am ready to get back to work now.

I only taking off 2 weeks. I am taking FMLA for the 2 weeks though. Really only because I do not have enough sick and vacation time saved up for it. I am a nurse but do not lift people so my doctor said 2 weeks would be o.k. I was the one really wanting to go after just 2 weeks.

I work from home. I had surgery Wednesday, I was home on Thursday and was working on Monday. I was very tired, but since I could work from my couch or me bed, it was not big deal. My exhaustion was lack of nutrients, not physical pain or discomfort. If I didn't work from home, I would have wanted a week off max.

Thank you for all the quick replies already! I think I am trying to find a way to avoid telling anyone at work about the surgery. If I apply for FMLA, HR would figure it out easily enough given the name of my surgeons practice. I work for a very large company (over 300K employees) but I am in a very visible position (despite no one seeing me) and would like to avoid any possible gossip. I was so close to telling my boss what I am about to do and then suddenly backed out and just said I need to go out for a bit and he never asked any questions.

So much to consider!!

I telecommute full time. I had surgery on Thursday and returned to work half days the following Monday. I worked a full day on Tuesday - I was tired. I liked only needing to work 4 hours per day and allowing myself time to rest and walk. I used the excuse that my husband and I were traveling and would work in the morning only (no one knows I had the surgery)

Honestly, if I had to, I could have worked full days starting the MOnday after surgery.

Best of luck to you

I'm still in pre-op stage, but my surgeon already stated nothing less than 6 weeks. For one, you have the first week to clear out all those nasty hospital chemicals/fluids/medications; 2) you have the pain meds you really do need to take whether you think you need them or not because they allow your body to heal; and 3) you need the rest of the time to sip, walk, rest & let your body heal... along with allowing your new life to begin. (I only know about this because I've been blessed to have 9 previous surgeries) Best wishes my sleeve sibling!

I too am curious about this. I am only in the beginning stages of the process and haven't confided in my boss yet. Mainly because I have only been in my current job since August. I have a desk job so strenuous activity is not at all a concern. Plus I am not at all in a high profile/visible position so I think my absence will not create much issue. I think I just worry unnecessarily. I am hoping two weeks will be enough, I have had several stomach (gallbladder, gynecological, etc) surgeries and have healed quickly from those so I am hopeful. Also, I am new to this site and can't wait to read everyone's successes!!

I'm post op about 6 weeks and I took off 4 weeks from work. My surgeon suggested 6 weeks but I didnt have access to that much time. I was okay pain wise after one week. I havent taken anything stronger than tylenol since 24 hours post op. My biggest problem has been energy but my sister recently pointed out to me that my activity level was too high prior to surgery. I basically lived in the gym. I say to plan on at least two weeks to allow yourself time to heal. Everyone reacts differently to surgery.

How long did you take off work for your VSG?

@@pattyor

"tried and true" statement......

"the one thing we all have in common is that we're all different"!!!! :)

as you've read above, people have taken anywhere from a few days to a few weeks etc

the doc that told you that people might have surgery on a friday, and work on monday is/can be true

in many cases - people stayed home for awhile, (a week, whatever)

not necessarily due to any "serious" complications

many people are extremelllly tired, weak et al

if they have the sick time - they will/can use it

many people can afford financially/or sick leave to take off from work longer

for me - i immediately continued my "job"

i'm retired ;)

its good to rest, relax - take care of you!!!! :)

then of course, their are some slackers/ goofballs that just don't want to work!!! :lol:

you probably need/should tell your office (for their planning) about how long you will need to take off

maybe say 2-3 weeks, and go back sooner/earlier if you are able to

listen to your body

don't overdue :angry:

i've heard from informed sources that April 14th is the best day to have surgery ;)

good luck

speedy recovery :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

My surgeon advised me to take at least 2 weeks. I have a sit down job and he said that no matter what I thought or felt there was no way I would be able to sit for 8 hours a day in a chair. I'm currently 2 weeks out and taking at least another, possibly 2 more, depending on how my appt goes Tuesday (post-op appt). I do work from home, but I totally agree with him that sitting for long periods of time isn't comfortable. I am taking FML, but my company offered it. I'm really concerned for you when you say that everyone in your company will know what your doing if you file for FML, if they say ANYTHING to ANYONE about your procedure they would be doing something totally against the law. Your human resource department has no right to divulge any information to anyone about you, not even your manager. If they do, you have serious issues.

Most likely, no one would know what type of surgery - I am probably just being a paranoid. I meet with my boss on Monday and will discuss that there is a possibility I will take longer and see what my surgeon says on the 9th.

I still haven't quite figured out this site but am sure happy to see so much support! Thank you!!

I really can't imagine someone getting this surgery on a Friday and going back to work the following Monday. That seems completely irresponsible and possibly even malpractice. Perhaps if you work from home and don't work full time hours maybe, but there is so much one has to do to take care of yourself after surgery, even in the best of circumstances. Additionally, you typically cannot drive for at least two weeks post surgery.

My surgery went very well. I didn't even have any pain meds post surgery nor did I take the anti nausea meds. Three of my incisions healed in the first week and the other two quickly thereafter. I also had a visiting nurse service twice a week for the first two weeks. By all accounts, my recovery has been optimum and ahead of expectations.

That said, I was in the hospital for three days and then when I came home, I needed a lot of sleep the first two weeks. sleep, nutrition, movement, and minimum stress all aid in the healing process and I can't imagine working in the first couple of weeks. While I did check in via email and phone a bit, had I worked a full day I am sure my recovery would not have been so good. Between trying to eat and drink on a prescribed schedule every hour or so, exercise every hour for 5 minutes, do breathing exercises, take meds, etc. leaves little time to try and do any type of other work. While my exercise sometimes consisted of vacuuming and light cleaning around the house, it was in small time increments of 15 minutes or so during those first couple of weeks.

By the third week, I was walking two to four miles a day, but I'd often need a nap within a few hours after that. I now feel like I've gotten enough of my energy back that I can get through a day at work, but I'm sure it will still be challenging the first week.

Bottom line, if you are planning for this surgery you should not have expectations of going back to work quickly. All protocols I have seen indicate a typical medical leave of 4 to 6 weeks and that's If you have no complications. I think this could be pushed back to possibly three weeks if necessary, but it is really up to your surgeon.

Edited by Lizadaze