Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

protein shake question- pre- op diet

I am on day 3 of my pre-op diet. Surgery scheduled for April 23. My Dr. requires 2 weeks of 2 Protein shakes per day with a small meal, then 2 weeks of liquids only.

So, here is my question/issue.......I have been drinking the shakes and they make me really nauseous. The last three days I have just felt like I could vomit at any minute. I have tried 4 different kinds/flavors. I am drinking pretty high Protein Shakes, 32 grams per.....not sure if that is the issue.

Any suggestions?

Yikes. That doesn't sound very comfortable. Have you called your doctor to ask him about it? I am barely on Day 1 of my Protein Shakes. I was only given the 2 week liquid diet and am only able to drink 4 shakes a day, Water, crystal lite, Diet Pepsi drinks etc., and clear broth. :o

My opinion? It's just your body freaking out that you've stopped feeding it junk or carbs or sugar or whatever your vice is. Hunger is nauseating and right now your body thinks you're starving it.

tmf

I'm only on the first day and it is nearly 1 PM here in California! My body is already making all kinds of sounds and telling me that a #15 with 10 chicken mc nuggets, a Mc Double, large fry and large Coke, two strawberry pies and a dipped cone is what I need right now. Must...fight...the urge!!!

Protein Shakes are hard to like if you don't like Protein shakes. Isn't that helpful? Seriously though, Unjury brand Protein Powder (online) makes a good chocolate that is not bad. I have it for Breakfast. Atkins makes a dark chocolate royale flavor that is not too bad.

I am on day 3 of my pre-op diet. Surgery scheduled for April 23. My Dr. requires 2 weeks of 2 Protein Shakes per day with a small meal, then 2 weeks of liquids only. So, here is my question/issue.......I have been drinking the shakes and they make me really nauseous. The last three days I have just felt like I could vomit at any minute. I have tried 4 different kinds/flavors. I am drinking pretty high Protein shakes, 32 grams per.....not sure if that is the issue. Any suggestions?

Try WonderSlim. They taste great!!

Call your doc's office and ask if you can blend frozen fruit into your Protein shakes. It will make them feel more like a milkshake, taste better, add further nutrition and maybe calm your tummy a bit, too.

Frozen peach in vanilla is lovely, as is strawberry, strawberry in chocolate is yummy, raspberry in chocolate is decadently delicious if you can stand the seeds. Try bananas, if they are allowed... they may not be, I wasn't allowed them. Too much sugar.

Try also blending in coffee and sugar free flavored syrups and extracts and yoghurt. Get creative, within the parameters of what you are allowed to have to try to make things a bit more palatable and easier to live with. :)

I had the same problem when I first started my pre-op diet! My surgeon's office wanted me to use the Bariatric Advantage Protein powder to make shakes with and I could not tolerate the stuff. I felt nauseous and bloated every time I drank one. It didn't matter what I mixed it with or what I blended into it, I still felt sick.

You mentioned that you've tried different Protein brands/flavors. Have you tried Premier Protein? They are sold at most grocery stores and you can get them in bulk at stores like costco or Sam's Club. Those sat well in my stomach and I used those for my pre-op diet instead. It sounds weird, but I have found that the pre-mixed Protein Shakes are easier on my system than the powdered forms.

Don't give up searching for the product that works best for you! You can always go online and buy sample sizes before committing to a whole pack/canister. Best of luck to you! :)

I was wondering if anyone has tried OhYeah!, 52, or Lean Body on the Go shakes. How much Protein should we be taking in by shake before surgery and after until the mush food phase? It is my understanding once we get to mushies we should try to wean off the shakes because they slip through the band.

Even before I considered any kind of surgery I drank Protein Shakes for breakfast every single morning as I'm not good with good first thing before work! I have tried dozens of them and spent a fortune on all sorts of ones that tasted horrendous! After loads of research and trial and ever I tried Optimum Nutrition Gold and ohhhh my god they taste like they came from McDonald's I'm not even joking. I recommended them to everyone and all my friends and family are now totally hooked! Their really high in Protein and I told my op dietitian about them and she's now ravine about them to her other clients. They come in amazing flavours like Cookies and cream, banana, Cappuccino, chocolate mint and many others! I take them with ice, unsweetened almond milk (so low in cal, lower than any milk) a little vanilla or chocolate flavoured soy milk, flax seeds and wiz it all up in my Breville blend active blend and go machine which is amazing as well might I add! I'm on day 6 of my pre op liquid diet and I've lost 7.5lbs!!!!!! Essay I know but everyone needs to know about these they make the struggle not a struggle!!!! X

GRE110 where can I find these shakes? Is there a website? Thanks in advance.

<p>GRE110 where can I find these shakes? Is there a website? Thanks in advance. </p>

Here is the link I buy them off Amazon as it's so much cheaper

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002DYIZH6?pc_redir=1404561860&robot_redir=1

But they do have their own website it's Optimum Nutrition Gold whey 100% in a red and black tub. Their decisions and packed full of goodness! X

I am one week post op lap band. I am on a liquid diet of Protein shakes, clear broth, tea, Tomato Soup and ice pops. I can barely get down the Protein Shakes. I drank them straight for 8 days pre op and did fine, but somehow they do not agree with me so the last 2 days, I have not had them. I am hungry but the thought of drinking them and getting the dry heaves at night, just makes me sick. I am losing weight though!!

Here is the link I buy them off Amazon as it's so much cheaper http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002DYIZH6?pc_redir=1404561860&robot_redir=1

But they do have their own website it's Optimum Nutrition Gold whey 100% in a red and black tub. Their decisions and packed full of goodness! X

GRE110... Found these on amazon and trying to decide on a flavor. Do you have a favorite?

I am waiting to get the call of approval, and hopefully starting my pre-op liquid diet soon. Thanks!