Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am having the sleeve surgery in July and gallbladder out in April. I know at least 4 people who have had the surgery at my work. I work for Smiths grocery store. They all say eat what I want because soon I won't be able to. I've decided that I want to make commitments each week. Baby steps leading up to surgery. For instance week one was this week. I gave up coffee. Next week is white breads. Chewing bites better and spacing them out one min apart. Not drinking with my meals. Etc. Just before my surgery I'd like to try drinking Protein Drinks for meals and broth the day or two before. I've had all the foods I love and that's how I got in to this weight problem. I hope by doing this it prepares me a bit better for when I have no choice. Gym once or twice a week is another commitment . Anyone else out there have any suggestions?

I am having the sleeve surgery in July and gallbladder out in April. I know at least 4 people who have had the surgery at my work. I work for Smiths grocery store. They all say eat what I want because soon I won't be able to. I've decided that I want to make commitments each week. Baby steps leading up to surgery. For instance week one was this week. I gave up coffee. Next week is white breads. Chewing bites better and spacing them out one min apart. Not drinking with my meals. Etc. Just before my surgery I'd like to try drinking Protein drinks for meals and broth the day or two before. I've had all the foods I love and that's how I got in to this weight problem. I hope by doing this it prepares me a bit better for when I have no choice. Gym once or twice a week is another commitment . Anyone else out there have any suggestions?

Good for you JDillon

I think the healthier you can be for the procedure the better. I have been out of control eating, and yes, that's what's got me here too, I've felt the need to say good bye to all my favourite foods, even some that I'm not too keen on. However, I've kept up with my exercise, and now so fed up with eating rubbish and feeling sluggish that I'm also cutting back on all the naughty but nice foods. Do you not have to go through any programme for weight loss before the procedure? I had to. But it's ok..... As you progress towards the op you'll have to meet with various professionals and have plans given to you. Including liquids or milk diet for a week, or two before the op. They'll go into all of that, different surgeons have their own ways around this.

Carry on with what suits you, the healthier you are the better. Good luck, and enjoy the journey.

I haven't met with the nutritionist yet. I am pretty much at 40 Bmi so if I lose too much I won't meet the required bmi for the surgery.

I haven't met with the nutritionist yet. I am pretty much at 40 Bmi so if I lose too much I won't meet the required bmi for the surgery.

Where abouts do you live JDillon? Are you in the states?

Edited by luckyknickers57

I did pretty much the same thing gave up my coffee, then my white carbs rice, bread and Pasta. I wouldn't rush into the drinking of the Protein and the Soup. I was fine before surgery with them but now I cannot even look at Protein Drinks or soup for that matter. I am hopeful this will change. I had lost 16 lbs pre-op by changing these habits and it also helped at home getting the family ready for the change and focus on the type of food we eat.

Good luck on you journey!

I think it's GREAT that you are making commitments in baby steps! I think if you try to do it all at once it could get overwhelming. Thankfully I have been trying to do the same thing. Some days are good and some days are bad....really bad. But I know I gotta take things meal by meal, sometimes hour by hour to try to get through the day. If I were to do everything all at once it would freak me out and I would go the other way and binge eat.

I am from Las Vegas Nevada luckyknickers57

I think you are on such a great start!! Removing those things now will make the transition so much better for you later!
I did the whole "eat whatever you want" thing before surgery and I really think that was a huge mistake. Good luck to you! I would also suggest getting into the habit of drinking Water all day - that was another one that I had issue with - and still have a problem with to this day!

I love Water. That ones easy. What will be hard is to not be able to chug it!

Well, we too have to be hitting BMI targets for surgery, so I understand where you're coming from. I think yeah, cut down on the stuff you know you gotta give up, gradually increase your exercise and you'll be well on the road to being ready and fit for your operation. I think you're in a good place where your food and health are concerned at the moment, keep it up.

I've been following 'My 600lb Life' and watching these guys struggle with their addiction, and most of them turning a corner, becoming successful in their weight loss. It got me thinking, that we have a real fight ahead of us, that the surgery isn't the end of our problems. Also that I understand more now how some people become addicted to fitness and constantly weighing themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not someone who says 'well if that was me.....' because I have not experienced my journey yet. But what I am thinking is that because I am lucky enough to have found this site, I have become more informed, about the positives and negatives, and hopefully more prepared for what might lay ahead, even if there are some hiccups, that's all they are.....

So JDillon, I guess what I'm saying is that you are ahead of the game by your prep, also that you've inspired me to get back on the wagon of healthy eating.

Good luck to you

I am having the sleeve surgery in July and gallbladder out in April. I know at least 4 people who have had the surgery at my work. I work for Smiths grocery store. They all say eat what I want because soon I won't be able to. I've decided that I want to make commitments each week. Baby steps leading up to surgery. For instance week one was this week. I gave up coffee. Next week is white breads. Chewing bites better and spacing them out one min apart. Not drinking with my meals. Etc. Just before my surgery I'd like to try drinking Protein drinks for meals and broth the day or two before. I've had all the foods I love and that's how I got in to this weight problem. I hope by doing this it prepares me a bit better for when I have no choice. Gym once or twice a week is another commitment . Anyone else out there have any suggestions?

I think ur thinking of taking baby steps of incorporating some healthy good habits now is a great idea. I have replaced my Breakfast with a Chike Protein shake and it's gone really well. I love the taste and believe it or not it holds me 3.5 - 4 hours which is perfect in time for lunch. I've made healthier choice meal by meal day by day and wear a watch pedometer that I usually average about 12,000 steps a day. My highest have been a little over 17,000 steps in a day. I felt like a total celebrity at my group nutrition class when my NUT inquired how many steps did I get in the day before and when I clicked back to see I was like holy moly 17, 130ish she walked over and said WOW tell us how u got that many steps in in a day they began passing my watch around folks were asking me questions left and right I was like yeah baby something I'm proud of for once lol.

I felt like u getting a head start so my new lifestyle won't be a total shocker all at once and I whole heartedly believe we've made the right choice. I have met so many great friends that have encouraged me to eat bad because I won't be able to after surgery but I'm too afraid of my weight easily creeping back up to a whopping 245 and I'm just 5'2. Although for the first time in forever I indulged in of all things Burger King and had a whopper junior meal with cheese felt do disappointed in myself but I've forgiven myself and moved on. Good luck to u.

Thank you. I still haven't had coffee and boy did I want and need it the other day. But last night I got depressed and ate a lot of ice cream. So much I got sick. The good news is that i don't want ice cream. I feel so bad and out of control last night. Today is a new day. No sweets. No bad foods. Time to re focus.

Good for you for taking those baby steps.

At times, I find myself thinking "I'm going to eat whatever I want NOW, because after surgery I know things will be different", and then I stop, and think "No, STOP thinking like that! Eating whatever I want is how I got where I am", and I realize that by making changes Now, before surgery, my weight loss should be more successful after surgery.

I know what you mean. We're going to have good days and bad days but if the good are at 90% that leaves only 10% for messing up. I'm striving for the 90 because being perfect all of the time feels like too much pressure. I'll do my best.