Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know that there are all sorts of threads online about all the things that you need to bring to the hospital with you, but they seem kinda surprising to me?? The last time I was in the hospital I just wore comfortable clothing and had my phone and charger and that was it. They supplied everything I needed. I'm sure there are great extras, but I'm curious what you took with you and actually used at the hospital. Like did people use the extra comfy clothes or nightgowns?? It just seems that you would use what the hospital provides....am I way off base here?? Also, I'm only referring to a hospital stay in the US...I'm sure there is extra comforts I would bring to Mexico also, but I really don't see myself bringing anything besides my phone / Ipad and chargers.

Was there something you were totally bummed that you didn't have at the hospital??

I took a pair of underwear, an extra pair of pants, my pillow, phone charger, and ipad and that's it. I used my ipad once.. I didn't need anything more, in fact, I would have been fine with just the pillow and phone charger as I didn't put any clothes back on until I left, and I put on what I wore in. I used a second gown as a robe, and honestly wouldn't have cared either way! Hah.

There wasn't a single thing I wished I had. In fact, I wish I didn't have my bag, as I left with a bag full of stuff from the hospital. (Stuff for dressing your wound, an extra abdominal binder, other crap)

Edited by Sarahjane79

I brought chapstick, a pair of sandals, maternity yoga capris (since they were loose in the stomach), phone charger, and tablet. Everything else they had for me.

I used all the lists on these boards and packed a ton and only used my charger and my Chapstick and my own pillow (horrible ones in hospital).

A lot of the stuff (gas x, throat lozenges) they wouldn't even let me use without a dr's order and then when they got the order (for the lozenges, I didn't need the gas x) they provided them.

They also provided toiletries and slipper socks and an extra gown to use backwards as a robe.

I felt like I totally overpacked.

Thank you for the responses!!! Thats totally what I was looking for...some of the lists I've seen just blew me away with all the extra crap they have on there. One more question...did you load up movies or something on your tablet? Or did you find you just slept most of the time and didn't even use it? I think Im worried about being bored!!

Thank you for the responses!!! Thats totally what I was looking for...some of the lists I've seen just blew me away with all the extra crap they have on there. One more question...did you load up movies or something on your tablet? Or did you find you just slept most of the time and didn't even use it? I think Im worried about being bored!!

I used my ipad once. And only for about 5 minutes. Other than that I slept, and if I wasn't sleeping I was walking, or my phone and Facebook were enough for me.

So no. I didn't need movies or anything loaded. I didn't even turn my tv in my room on, and I was there for 2 nights.

Edited by Sarahjane79

I loaded up a bunch of movies, put stuff on my Netflix queue (hosp had wifi) and didn't watch any of them. Couldn't concentrate well enough even when I was conscious. Turned on the hospital tv and watched reality shows mindlessly and dozed.

I wore loose comfy clothes to the hospital so I could wear the same clothes home. I brought and used my phone and charger and some very basic toiletries. I brought my Kindle but only used it because my surgeon was running late that morning and I had time to kill in pre-op. Other than that I brought nothing and the hospital had everything I needed. I didn't even turn on the tv - spent most of my post-op time focused on sipping and walking, and did some light surfing and playing on my phone.

If I remember correctly you're going through Kaiser right? If so, don't worry they have free movies and prime time shows on demand in the hospital. :) I was happy about that!

Yes, I'm going through Kaiser, but the hospital that we go to isn't a Kaiser hospital in San Diego...Its a bariatric hospital. Regardless, I'm starting to worry less about being bored!!! I think I'll just try to enjoy the extra rest along with drinking and walking so they'll release me on time!!! :D :D :D

I brought a comfy fleece sweatshirt and workout pants that I wore the whole time. I spent a ton of time pacing the halls, and not being able to wear a proper bra would have driven me CRAZY if I didn't have the sweatshirt to cover up! Same with the sweatpants when I was out roaming. I also brought my deodorant, some face wipes and a tube of lipstick. And yes, I used it all, if only not to screen my visitors! :-)

I took my own toothbrush (having had several surgeries, I know that I tend to have a sour mouth after recovery, and hospital toothbrushes are awful. I also took a picture of myself/hubby/and daughter with me, I used it to pre-op to keep me from jumping up and running away. I also took my own socks, I suffer from extremely cold feet, and I have really small feet, so hospital socks are always way way to big. And last but not least my phone and charger, since I knew I would be there at least 3 days. I also took the book I had been reading, but since my mom came and spent the days, and the nurses kept me drugged at night, I didn't read it. If I had been alone I would have read, or worked the crossword puzzle from the newspaper. The nurses brought me a paper each day, after I asked the first morning if they had the paper. Other than that, I brought my needed ID and paperwork, and a copy of my post-op diet, so they could review it with me at discharge, per my instructions. I wore a cotton dress home, so there was no waistband to hurt my incisions, and it was the same dress I wore to the hospital, so there was nothing else to pack/carry. I put it on the morning of surgery, and as soon as I got to the hospital I was told to take it off and put on a gown, so it was on me all of 45 mins. And I would suggest slip on shoes, they are easier to get on and off, and since they were slip ons, I was allowed to wear them when I walked around the floor and to do my swallow test. I would have been grossed out to walk in a public place in just my socks.