Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting Two Week Pre-OP Diet Today

Anyone else?! Today makes it sooo much more real for me! Feeling excited and scared about messing up.

Im supposed to start mine Thursday but I started early just in case I messed up, and to let my body adjust to the all liquid idea. Today is my third day and I woke up with the worst headache, of course they said no meds 10 days before surgery but because Im sooo paranoid Im doing no meds a month before LOL.My surgery is April 10...So far I've done pretty good. I've noticed the hunger comes at night, so I just go to bed so I dont have to think about it. Good luck with your diet. Let us know how it goes.

Oh crap!! I forgot about stopping medications... need to check what my guidelines say. Thanks for reminding me about that lol.

Good job starting a little early- I gave up caffeine three weeks ago and I stuck to low carb very well until this weekend. To be honest, I kind of panicked and ate every carb I could get my hands on this weekend. Definitely need to continue working on emotional eating...

I'm on day three of my 5 day pre-op diet. It's Protein shakes and Clear liquids only. I really miss the morning coffee with cream and black Decaf just doesn't do the trick. I know it's the caffeine I miss. My surgery is Thursday and I am jazzed! The excitement is enough to lessen the head hunger and the shakes do help.

Best misses for your important day

Make that best wishes for your important day

I am on day 3 of the pre-op diet. The first 2 days were torture since I had to go to a family BBQ and smell all of the yummy food. I also had terrible headache and was cranky. Today I woke up and I feel so much better. Trust me the temptation of food is a struggle but stick to your guns all this will be worth it in the end. Good Luck!

I started my 2 week pre-op diet today also.... Surgery on April 8th..... Very excited, but also scared out of my mind...... I'm an old Operating Room nurse... I've done Gastric Sleeve cases in my job, so I know what I am signing up for..... But since this is not reversible... I think that is what scares me the most.... Anyone else scared?

I started my 2 week pre-op diet today also.... Surgery on April 8th..... Very excited, but also scared out of my mind...... I'm an old Operating Room nurse... I've done Gastric Sleeve cases in my job, so I know what I am signing up for..... But since this is not reversible... I think that is what scares me the most.... Anyone else scared?

I'm scared too!! I'm so afraid of not waking up from the surgery or having complications that could kill me.

I have three girls all under the age of 10 and one of the main reasons I'm doing this is to be healthy for them!

I'm also afraid that I may never be able to enjoy food...

I'm afraid to start the pre-op diet because it's going to be so hard. I see a lot of people that are getting healthy way before their surgery and I'm eating like I'm never going to eat again...,I feel guilty about that.

????

@TexasRN , As of right now no I am not scared I am just excited. I am sure the night before my surgery I will be a bundle of nerves and be scared out of my mind. The reason I chose the Gastric Sleeve was because it was irreversible. I need the permanency. I don't want the option of walking into my doctors office and asking him to take all the Fluid out of my band because I want to go pig out on a cruise. I can't wait for my surgery day!! You will be great and I am looking forward to hearing how everything went for you!!

I'm scared too!! I'm so afraid of not waking up from the surgery or having complications that could kill me.

I have three girls all under the age of 10 and one of the main reasons I'm doing this is to be healthy for them!

I'm also afraid that I may never be able to enjoy food...

I'm afraid to start the pre-op diet because it's going to be so hard. I see a lot of people that are getting healthy way before their surgery and I'm eating like I'm never going to eat again...,I feel guilty about that.

I cut out soda a month before hand but I ate all the things I knew I should never eat again. My fiancé and I went out to eat the night before my pre-op diet started and I enjoyed every bite of that meal. The pre-op diet is hard especially when you have to cook for your family. I tried sitting with them at dinner and drinking my cup of broth but I think it made everyone including myself feel bad. So I cook for them and I keep busy with chores while the eat. It is only 2 weeks you can do it!! Just think in a few months this will all be just a memory and you will be dropping the weight feeling fabulous about yourself.

I cut out soda a month before hand but I ate all the things I knew I should never eat again. My fiancé and I went out to eat the night before my pre-op diet started and I enjoyed every bite of that meal. The pre-op diet is hard especially when you have to cook for your family. I tried sitting with them at dinner and drinking my cup of broth but I think it made everyone including myself feel bad. So I cook for them and I keep busy with chores while the eat. It is only 2 weeks you can do it!! Just think in a few months this will all be just a memory and you will be dropping the weight feeling fabulous about yourself.

Thank you! How are you doing post-op? Do you have any advice that you might want to share... :)

Edited by law001

TexasRN. I heard the best response from someone earlier in one of the seminars we had to attend. Someone asked them why they were getting the sleeve if it's not reversable. Her response was "If it is cauing me to lose all this weight and gain my life back, why would I want that to be reversable?" It had really been pushing me through all this lately. I am also having surgrey on April 8th, and am staring the pre-op diet tomorrow. I have been keeping a journal throughout this whole journey, adn wrote something in there tonight that I thought you guys might relate to...

I guess today it finally became concrete. I was no longer planning for this elusive thing to happen, I was finally on track for this to happen. I literally am getting the same feeling I do before a roller coaster. That has been the best example for this whole journey. In front of the line, they check my ticket (insurance) to make sure I can go on the ride at all. I have gone through all the checkpoints in line as I am going to my appointments. They check my height (and weight) to make sure that I am ready for the ride, and I am finally ready, in the front of the line. Today, I am now being buckled into my seat, getting ready for the slow steady climb towards the top. From here, I can see the roller coaster. I see what is waiting in front of me, the ride that I am about to go on. I know that from my angle everything looks huge and scary but that once I get on the ride everything will be ok. I know that afterwards I am going to be so grateful that I did not chicken out and that I challenged myself to make this choice… But the waiting, and the ride up, and the anticipation are by FAR the worst part…

I wish you all the best of luck, (AND myself) I hear that these next two weeks are going to be the hardest part of the whole journey!!!

Started my pre-op liquid diet on Wednesday. My surgery is Monday the 31st. The realization that my surgery was a week away and I wasn't going to be eating for quite a while overwhelmed me and I broke the diet in a big way yesterday :( Back on it today. Scared but excited all rolled into one.

Edited by Jalyn96

Thanks all for the wonderful words of encouragement.... I know this is what is best for me, because I need the permanency of this surgery. I just tend to over think things all the time. And just like the others, when I started the pre-op diet it made it very real.....

I am looking very forward to this procedure and the next phase of my life....