Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am in the same exact boat as you. I'm April 21st. At least your hubby supports you. Mine doesn't. I have 2 little kids too and I wonder if I'm being too selfish.

How could u be being selfish? Did he tell you why he does not support u?

:(

Edited by Somuch2much

Do u think maybe hes having this attitude because hes scared for you? There was a lady at on of my meetings that shared her husband was un supportive but she did it anyway .. Once she had surgery and she was ok and feeling good he came around ... Now hes thrilled with her new attitude and body ...maybe this could be the same for u???

I wish u luck .. I am sure with all going through your head it really sucks to hear the negative... Theres so much support here ... Only u know whats right for u !

Yeah. I think fear is a big part.

I'm an emotional wreck not knowing if I am doing the right thing. This is definitely the hardest thing I've ever done. This site is great support and knowledge. Thank god I found it!

Edited by Somuch2much

When your husband tells you "Why can't you just not eat too much and exercise?" you should ask him if he'd say the same thing to an alcoholic! It's an addiction, just like alcohol, but it's even more insidious because we NEED to eat food to survive! You can't just NOT eat!

Re being selfish, maybe we are being a little selfish. But we NEED to be! If you're anything like me, you always put your husband/boyfriend and kids first! This time, for this little while, we need to put OURSELVES first!

When your husband tells you "Why can't you just not eat too much and exercise?" you should ask him if he'd say the same thing to an alcoholic! It's an addiction, just like alcohol, but it's even more insidious because we NEED to eat food to survive! You can't just NOT eat!

Re being selfish, maybe we are being a little selfish. But we NEED to be! If you're anything like me, you always put your husband/boyfriend and kids first! This time, for this little while, we need to put OURSELVES first!

This is so TRUE!!!

My surgery date is 4/16 and I'm doing the same thing. I'm going down a mental list of foods I am going to miss and having them each day. It's crazy. The food funeral is a great way to put it. I understand I can have a lot of these later, in much smaller portions but some I just need to say goodbye forever. Good luck!

My surgery is May6...... I'm so excited

I'm May 6th too!!! super excited and hope this month goes by quickly.

Hi,

I haven't been on here in ages, and started reading the comments on the top of this thread. So if the conversation has evolved from there, please forgive.

We are where we are because of the things we eat. And we eat the things we eat for very different reasons. I had my surgery well over a year ago, and have lost very little weight. The surgery was a success, and I don't regret it a bit. But my food issues are unresolved. It's just the last month that I have got professional help and feel optimistic about dealing with them. If your excess weight is due not only to bad choices, but because food is your crutch, please get help for that now. Let a pro help you figure that out now. You don't want to be a year out and feel like a failure. And I would appreciate any input from others dealing with this......

Hi,

I haven't been on here in ages, and started reading the comments on the top of this thread. So if the conversation has evolved from there, please forgive.

We are where we are because of the things we eat. And we eat the things we eat for very different reasons. I had my surgery well over a year ago, and have lost very little weight. The surgery was a success, and I don't regret it a bit. But my food issues are unresolved. It's just the last month that I have got professional help and feel optimistic about dealing with them. If your excess weight is due not only to bad choices, but because food is your crutch, please get help for that now. Let a pro help you figure that out now. You don't want to be a year out and feel like a failure. And I would appreciate any input from others dealing with this......

Thank you for the advice. I'm sorry you are going through this. I kept telling myself that maybe I didn't need the surgery because I am stronger than a food addiction, but the pre-op diet has proven me wrong. It is really hard. I'm sad that I have allowed food to take over but so hopeful that I can make a lifestyle change with the surgery. Can I ask why you think you didn't lose much weight? Did you eat things you shouldn't or allow portion sizes to get bigger again? I'm not trying to be too personal and if you don't want to share then obviously, it's up to you. Just asking since you put it out there. Other than speaking to a professional, you sound like you would have some good advice and we could learn from you. Thanks again for putting it out there.

Thanks for your honesty, wendymayhem. I'm sorry to hear you are struggling. I wish I had some advice or feedback to share with you, but I am still pre-op.

Edited by Scylla

I''ve come very far, I've been cleared by NUT,dietician and psychiatry. My paperwork should be submitted on Monday and when I get my approval I should get the date I want. So what's wrong with this picture....I can't stop eating everything. I have gained almost 15lbs since I started this process (1/31/14) and the doctor excused it cause I'm in the process of quitting cigarettes. Ok so I'm not sure if I'm sabotaging or what. I'm extremely worried now because I saw a younger girl who had the sleeve a couple months ago and she was eating chips, pop and candy. I do feel like I'll never get to eat my favorite foods again so I am consuming everything. I need some tips to stop eating everything

Oh boy this was definitely me. Actually...it's the double whammy, it was stopping the cigarettes and then the food funerals. I gained like 8lbs. and soon I found out, I need to meet my original weigh in or lower to be approved..

I got more time added to my process trying to meet that requirement but here's my secret, I did 2 days of laxatives and 2 days liquid prior to my final appointment and I was below the weight! Worked for me..whew!

I''ve come very far, I've been cleared by NUT,dietician and psychiatry. My paperwork should be submitted on Monday and when I get my approval I should get the date I want. So what's wrong with this picture....I can't stop eating everything. I have gained almost 15lbs since I started this process (1/31/14) and the doctor excused it cause I'm in the process of quitting cigarettes. Ok so I'm not sure if I'm sabotaging or what. I'm extremely worried now because I saw a younger girl who had the sleeve a couple months ago and she was eating chips, pop and candy. I do feel like I'll never get to eat my favorite foods again so I am consuming everything. I need some tips to stop eating everything

I know this is an older post but I am struggling with the exact same feelings. All my paperwork is submitted & I'm swirling for a date & it feels like "no man's land" - I hate it. I am probably up 5-7# (I don't want to weigh myself) and I'm not quitting smoking. I blame it on work stress guy stress etc but deep down I know I'm only hurting myself :(. Going to see my therapist early next week. You're not alone - all the best to you.

Sorry, don't know how to reply directly to individuals. My problem was not using the sleeve properly . I was compulsively eating slider foods for comfort and hating myself for it, then needing more comfort. A vicious , vicious cycle .

None of us said " I want to b morbidly obese when I grow up!". And few of us here just have a hard time resisting Desserts. Just because your stomach is the size of a highlighter, the issues don't go away. I thought I'd never "work around" my sleeve, and i never intended to misuse this opportunity. But the underlying issues weren't removed with my stomach. I'm dealing with those now, but I wish I'd done it sooner. It has made a huge difference . The scale is starting to move in the right direction again. More importantly though, I'm beginning to heal emotionally ...... Mendy