Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2014 Sleevers

Hi Everyone,

Yes new member today and first post hehe :)

Really want to contribute as I read each post I felt a special bond with each of you. Had my sleeve done on March 12th so am only 2 weeks and 3 days out. Can't really say that I am an expert now but I wanted to share some of my thoughts and experiences for you all with the caveat that as my Doctor always tells me each person is different so these may or may not apply/help you.

Protein

I had a hard time my first week to week and a half with consuming enough Protein so my incisions didn't seem to be healing well. My dietician recommended Isopure Water, 20 oz with 40g of protein. I also tried 4 different brands of shakes. It actually helped me to drink premiere protein 30g protein, strawberry when before my surgery I was a chocolate fanatic. So if you can't stomach the shakes like me try different ones and different flavors, that may help as well as drinking flavored protein Water (icky aftertaste but it went down)

Gas

Gas-X was a lifesaver, I recommend it from around day 2 or 3 onwards and ohy yes my stomach and intestines and who knows what else rumbles and speaks to me in some foreign language from time to time.

Pain

Well let me try this:

Day 1: Surgery at 7:45 am, woke up at 11:00 am in Hell

Day 2: Appears the Devil didn't like me and kicked me out of Hell and I found myself in a hospital room, bad pains!

Day 3: More pain, sent home at 9:00 pm, slept poorly, Roxicet pain medicine my new friend

Day 4-7: Yep more pain but not so bad, still needed help getting up from couch and bed.

Day 8-13: Replaced Roxicet with liquid Acetemitophin (sp?) Now just sore.

Day 14: Less sore, went back to work, stopped all pain meds, most of the last two weeks of pain forgotten after weigh in of 30 lbs less than when I had my surgery.

Day 15-17 (today is day 17): Minor sore if I bend the wrong way, healing nicely and feeling very sorry for those of you stuck in the two week time capsure of recovery from Hell.

Weight Loss

Saw a show called "My 600 lb Life" on TLC I think and talked to my Doctor about it. Gal named Penny lost 40 pounds pre op on liquid 1200 calorie a day diet but then stayed 490 lbs for the next 3 months then gained 5 pounds on month 4. I asked how it was possible. He indicated that water weight can be an issue and that is why he only weighs his patients every 2 weeks during our recovery visits. My advice to anyone not losing fast or staying static is to weigh in once a week at max or even only every two weeks at first due to the water weight and look for long term results not daily results.

Diet

It seems there are a lot of different ones out there. I have a very strict one from my doctor. Days 2-14 were liquid only with creamy Soups (strained!) allowed. I am on my last day of semi pureed and then tomorrow start a pureed diet. I do miss chewing but for those newcomers the early introduction of strained Soup really helped me get past the 'water and Protein shake blues' So try soup to help with taste...

Taste

I seem to have aquired the 'sweet' bug. Everything seems too sweet to me now. This caused me some grief cause before my surgery I was a gatorade, soda, juice or anything flavored kind of guy instead of just water. Even the dasani water drops I bought left a 'chalky' aftertaste in my mouth. My solution was to just go pure water. Use to the soup and Protein Drink or shake to break up your day with different tastes.

food Tolerance?

Every thing still smells good except... My wife brought home some teriyaki chicken and rice. I swear to the almighty himself that to me it smelled like some small rodent had died and was covered in used motor oil. I had no problems with the food before my surgery nor any problem with nausea but I was sure I was going to heave and let fly if it got any closer to me than a few feet. I am not sure but I think I can't eat teriyaki chicken anymore.

sleeping

I use a cpap set at the G5 tornado force winds setting and felt fine before my surgery. Now my mouth dries out and I have to wake up and sip water several times a night to alleviate the symptom and it is getting better but I used my cpap at literally 100% of the time and now it's a bit harder to use so be prepared though this could be just common to me. Also FYI I found the first few days I could sleep much better in a recliner or semi sitting position instead of lying flat. After about 12 or so days despite being sore I can sleep flat now w/out much pain in my abdomen region.

Vitamins

I found some Bariatric ones, easy to chew not to bad on the taste and designed just for us via Amazon. Be sure to take the Iron supplement away from the Calcium as it interferes with the Calcium absorbtion (or so I'm told)

That's all I can think of for now. I am in a bit of shock at how some people were home so fast. Hopefully you are being well cared for. I hope we keep our little sub group intact since we are all going through the same thing at around the same time.

I also want to say that my first few days I really had regrets for doing this but that was me just being in pain, being sore and missing the psychological impact and relationship that I had with food. Now I am feeling that this is the right decision and that getting past the first two weeks was the critical part of the operation. My sister had the classic bypass Roux done about 10 years ago and she prepped me well so that I understood that the surgery is just a tool and like any tool it can be abused so the exercise, eating healthy and taking care of one's self is still important and can't be neglected as I have done for too many years.

So in summary for those of you thinking of doing this or just done it hang in there the first two weeks will go by and indeed I went from thinking death was a pleasant option to embracing my life now and I have a lot of work to do still.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Today was extremely hard. We have a family birthday party and I wanted to go to do something to get out of the house. And it's a chuckee cheese. And since my surgery was only Tuesday I'm still on Clear Liquids. So I can't eat anything here. And pizza got put right in front of me and I broke down in tears. It's the first food I've seen in days. And I wanted it so bad. I just lost it. I'm hoping it gets better. I need to get over this food thing.

Today was extremely hard. We have a family birthday party and I wanted to go to do something to get out of the house. And it's a chuckee cheese. And since my surgery was only Tuesday I'm still on clear liquids. So I can't eat anything here. And pizza got put right in front of me and I broke down in tears. It's the first food I've seen in days. And I wanted it so bad. I just lost it. I'm hoping it gets better. I need to get over this food thing.

I understand how you feel. It is sooo hard to see the foods we once enjoyed so much. Pizza was something I had at least once every other week. My boyfriend brought some home for him and my daughter and I ate my little scrambled egg. Just keep telling yourself that one day you will be able to enjoy a slice of pizza again. It's not out of your life forever. And look at the positive, you got though it! You're still alive! Just remember your tummy is healing and this time is crucial. Hang in there!

It's day 4 after surgery and I am craving and hungry. I don't want pizza, burgers or any junk food. I want a hunk of steak or meatloaf I make. I'm already tired of the sweet flavor with the Protein shakes. Yes, they are tasty,however, I crave something more. Plus, something I have been noticing, the smell of things has changed. I had some organic chicken broth and it smelled off. Like the meat was rotting when they cooked it. Gave it to the dogs. I've had chicken broth but that isn't very satisfying. I'm already counting the days until my first follow up so I can alter my food intake. This makes me wonder, are these hungers I feel real or in my head? Cravings can be real, but is this hunger real? Any advice on dealing with this?

I'm already stuck too but I think it's because our bodies are getting used to our new eating habits

Thank you for sharing

Hi I was sleeved 3/24...day two was horrible but yesterday was better and today even better. Ive only had nausea once and am keeping fluids down well. I am quite gassy bit walking tends to help. I had about 1/3 cup of broth last night for dinner slowly and went down well. Was also able to get 16oz of Water and 35g Protein Shake down by the time I went to bed. Today I'm having no problem getting my Protein down. Was wondering did anyone eat puréed Soups the first week and if so what did you have?

Yes Victoria...it gets a little better everyday. You had major surgery so just let your body heal and don't push it too hard.

Good luck. You won't regret it!

I had my surgery 3-3-14. I too found it hard to sip,sip, sip. I'm now doing puréed foods, and find that my eyes are still bigger than my stomach. So I have several meals from a can of refried Beans & a can of chicken. I still drink one Oh Yeah a day, to make sure I get in the protein...I haven't lost much since my surgery-- is this normal?? I have noticed the difference in my clothes-- I went from a size 20 to 16. On the day of surgery, I weighed 215, at my post op appt, , I was 208.. To date, sine the puréed diet, I'm 209.8... Feeling a bit low about that. I tried to go back to exercise, which I love Zumba--- omg, I almost passed out!! I had to leave class after 15 mins...it was too much, walking isn't my thing, so what else can I do to get in the exercise... Where I work, I walk quite a bit... Any suggestions would be helpful....

@@lindwalt I'm still 4 days out, but I've read others say to cut carbs when you hit a stall and try to reach 800 calories a day - are refried beans high i carbs compared to chicken?

Also focus on your non scale victories....down 2 pant sizes...woo hoo for you!

Hi all, I wanted to share that I found a Soup that is divine!! It's organic and full of flavor!! It's by Pacific.. It's so good!!

Do tell us what kind..... :P

5 days out.im so hungry I'm going crazy.water , Soup, and Protein Shake all nasty tasting.i have a sweet taste in my mouth that I can't get rid of . ((((Ugh)))) I need something else to eat by sides this stuff. OMG help me please! !!

I know what you mean....miso soup is really good!

I had my surgery 14, March 2014.. and I am happy to state that I was down 19 pounds on my 2 week follow up. I also had buyers remorse, but only for the first 9 days.. I hurt so bad at times that I was in tears.. Turned out that they were wanting me to get in more than my little pouch could hold.. The nutritionist and docs wanted me getting 4oz every 15 minutes and my pouch could only hold 2.5 ounces every 15 minutes.. so I was over filling.. and painfully uncomfortable..

Eventually IT DOES get better.. I am 2 weeks 2 days post surgery and I am doing quite well.. I am tired a lot still, however I do what I have to do to recover, heal and use this tool that has been given me to lose my excess weight