Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Imperforate Hymen surgery

This is a shot in the dark for me. I can't post on my normal social media outlets to make sure someone doesn't try to ridicule.

Has anyone here had personal experience with an imperforate hymen? Our 16 yr old daughter had emergency surgery to 'fix' hers and she is in quite a bit of pain and embarrassment. She keeps asking how long she is gonna be in pain....this is only about 48 hrs past surgery and she had pain of 7 out of 10 when I came home this afternoon.

"I" have had knee surgery, 2 c-sections, hysterectomy thru my c-section scar, and the lapband. I 'know' how recovery is....however I cannot relate to her particular procedure. The surgeon said it is a lot like an episiotomy recovery, only that it's not a superficial cut.

Any advice or suggestions from anyone that has experienced this procedure before?? Luckily (for lack of better words)....this has happened over spring break and she hasn't had to face any of her friends.

None, but I wish her well and hope she feels better soon.

None, but I wish her well and hope she feels better soon.

Thanks. It's very stressful for mom. :(

When I saw your topic, I wasn't sure you posted in the right place.

I had surgery for this when I was almost 12. I was very ill from the anesthetic (ether), don't remember a lot of pain. If you have any specific questions please pm me.

When I saw your topic, I wasn't sure you posted in the right place. I had surgery for this when I was almost 12. I was very ill from the anesthetic (ether), don't remember a lot of pain. If you have any specific questions please pm me.

Lol...yeah, I know it's kinda unexpected. But I was hoping that with the amount of people here I could find a couple or so that might have the experience. I am sending you a pm. Thanks.

I remember when I was about your daughters age I had a cyst on my cervix. the gyn that my mom sent me to clamped my cervix to pull it apart and drain the cyst. she told me this won't hurt a bit. well it was the worse experience in my life, very traumatizing. to this day I will not go to a female gyn. your daughters pain maybe more trauma than the pain. just go a long with her and let her know it is okay. also tell her that her problem isn't very uncommon. many girls are born with this and is something that needed to be taken care of, one of the many female things she will face in her lifetime. poor thing. hope for a speedy recovery.

Thank you. And I am supporting her in every way that I can.

Luckily we took her to the children's hospital E.R. and when we figured out what was wrong (her issue was she couldn't urinate at all) after sonograms of everything in her abdomen and even kidneys, they had a pediatric gynecologist come in and she was amazing, as well as her partner.

Every staff member we had were actually amazing and so caring and understanding to her....she even said on the way home that she was so glad we went there to figure out what was wrong.

She goes back Monday for a follow up and then 2 weeks after that. I am just really hoping tomorrow is a better day than today. And after that. Sigh....it sucks when your kids hurt.

If I may...she's 16 and had surgery on her 'girlie parts.' The pain will go away. Barring any complications (unlikely), she'll be and feel better in a few more days. Assure good hygiene and other than that, don't pick at/excessively touch the area beyond what the doctor advised to avoid infection/complications.

I've seen many of these over many years. They usually heal very well.

Be encouraged and try to be patient...with the patient. The discomfort will end soon. Healing takes time and that area is 'special.'

Oh! PS: I'm almost down 50 pounds; halfway to goal in 15.5 weeks! (SW = 257.2; goal 150, but I'll be happy at 170). Bought some jeans (from Wal-Mart) yesterday; do I see a thigh gap...? Oh my. Holy cow. For an AARP-card carrying woman woman, I am happy.

Edited by Dr-Patient

Thank you. She has finally graduated to the living room today....makes me very happy, even if we have to watch cheerleading movies. :)

Congrats on your success so far.