Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things you wish you would have known...

Hello! New to posting but somewhat lurking for a brief amount of of time. Surgery date is scheduled for July 21st. Just 5 days after I graduate Nursing school. So it's an exciting month for me!

I wanted to hear tips, advice etc of things you wish you had known before you had your surgery. Things like: what to bring to the hospital, what to expect before and after (I realize everyone is different), maybe Vitamins you wish you started sooner, just things you wish you would have known about before....

Any advice or tips are appreciated. .I look forward to sharing my journey and getting to know everyone...

Welcome :). Congrats on the surgery date! All I can say is read, read, and read some more. There is so much information on these boards and on the internet in general. Understand that the sleeve is a tool. Understand that you are still in charge of what goes on the fork that goes in your mouth. Sure, you might get full faster, but there are unfortunately people who stretch their sleeve with old habits. Read about everything that could go wrong so you know about warning signs. I didn't like to read TOO much as I am weird and thought I'd jinx myself!

I have a friend who had the sleeve two years ago and I asked her about what she eats and if she still gets full faster. She says she "definitely can't eat as much as she used to." She also described that she can only eat a cheeseburger with half the bun and a kids fry McDonald's :wacko: -_- . She has regained some of her weight too. Scares me. But it only encourages me to not become "that" person.

Understand that this is a major surgery and you are going to feel like crap the first few weeks! People, especially around here, seem so upset that they don't feel good after surgery. I knew what I was getting into and fully embraced the pain and discomfort. Now in week 3 I feel pretty much back to normal. You will miss food. A lot. But they're what got you in this position in the first place. Always remember that.

Bring your own pillow to the hospital (I forgot mine and was stuck with the flat excuse for a pillow at the hospital). Bring something to entertain you (phone, tablet, etc). Soap, toothpaste & toothbrush, hairbrush. You really only will need the clothes that you wore to the hospital because you'll be in a gown the whole time. I left the next day so I didn't need a shower.

If you have any other questions just ask!

Good advice Kb88, I had my surgery on 12/26/14 & I did read LOTS & it helped to know what to expect. The pillow from home was a HUGE help, not just for comfort sleeping, but to hold when you cough, and you will cough a lot after surgery. That's how your body gets the anesthetic out of your system. It HURTS, but gets better after a couple days. You will be sore & tired. My doc (Dr. Daniel Fang) told me to expect to be tired for a couple of months & he was right. Your body needs recovery time from surgery, even though it was endoscopic, they still move a LOT of stuff around in there & of course remove most of your stomach, so be prepared to be tired for a while.

This sounds crazy, but also think about when you go to the bathroom, which hand do you use to wipe? The incisions make it very hard to um, reach, so wet wipes are a MUST. I was even told to get a kitchen utensil to help extend my reach, like tongs or something, and I have to say, I did have to do that right after surgery. I know, TMI, but hey!

I had really bad gas pains, in my left shoulder blade area of all places, but again my Doc warned it would happen. It feels really painful, like a sprain or something, but goes away in a few days. I took Gas-X to help, but the best thing is walking as much as you can.

There are a lot of video blogs on YouTube, just search Gastric Sleeve.

Get used to drinking LOTS of Water now, get into the habit of sipping it all day, not just waiting until you're thirsty then gulping it down because you won't be able to do that anymore.

If you want to message me privately I'd be happy to share my experiences, I obviously have no brain/mouth filter, so I'll tell you anything you want to know that I know! :)

Thank you for the replies so far!! I've already started reading and will definitely continue to do so. I'm one of those people that has to look into things, read reviews etc before hand.

I know this will be just a stepping stone for me and not the complete answer. This will be a complete lifestyle change and the surgery is just the beginning...

It's going to be a lifelong journey...

Is there any Facebook groups for recipes for those who had wls? Or any supportive groups in general? I want to continue to connect with those who are going and have gone through this journey to have additional support..and hopefully one day return the favor.

I'm making a list of things to get in order before and after surgery and will add the above mentioned from the both of you...

Anything anyone wants to add please feel free...I'm always open to learning...

Anyone is welcome to message me also...

This is really random, and it may not apply to you, but one of my incisions was right below where my bra sits, so putting on my bra was painful. If you have one that closes in the front, that would help, I wish I did. Just something I wish I knew.

I would use this pre op time to start to cut back on carbs and focus on getting lots of Protein. It woulld help to get used to drinking Protein shakes because you will be drinking them for awhile after surgery. You can buy samples at www.nashuanutrition.com. If you are a big soda drinker like I was, I would try to cut back on that. You will need to avoid drinking soda for awhile at least. There are different theories about this but most people say it's because the carbonation causes painful bloating and gas.

That's about all I can think of now. I'll try to think of more. Good luck!

This is really random, and it may not apply to you, but one of my incisions was right below where my bra sits, so putting on my bra was painful. If you have one that closes in the front, that would help, I wish I did. Just something I wish I knew.

I would use this pre op time to start to cut back on carbs and focus on getting lots of Protein. It woulld help to get used to drinking Protein shakes because you will be drinking them for awhile after surgery. You can buy samples at www.nashuanutrition.com. If you are a big soda drinker like I was, I would try to cut back on that. You will need to avoid drinking soda for awhile at least. There are different theories about this but most people say it's because the carbonation causes painful bloating and gas.

That's about all I can think of now. I'll try to think of more. Good luck!

Thank you so much for that link!! OMG! I want to try them all! There's like a million flavors! I wonder which brand is best and far as the most protein and least carbs and sugar...

Are there habits that anyone has tried to implement before the surgery? Did you find it helpful during the transition post surgery?

This sounds crazy, but also think about when you go to the bathroom, which hand do you use to wipe? The incisions make it very hard to um, reach, so wet wipes are a MUST. I was even told to get a kitchen utensil to help extend my reach, like tongs or something, and I have to say, I did have to do that right after surgery. I know, TMI, but hey!

Lol I was just thinking about this yesterday. I've had a couple surgeries and it really hurts to bend and twist when you have to get yourself clean! I didn't think of using a set of tongs..... Great tip!

I wish I'd have known I couldn't drink plain Water after surgery. It makes me really nauseous. I was such a Water drinker and now it has to have something in it. Mio or crystal light. Lemon wedges, if there is plenty of lemon juice.

Also, once I was feeling so much better, about a week or so after I got back from the hospital, I bent and ripped my scar tissue in my deepest stitch. Be careful. Just because you feel a lot better does not mean to stop taking it easy. Take care of yourself as best you can the first weeks after surgery.

April

I wish I'd have known I couldn't drink plain Water after surgery. It makes me really nauseous. I was such a water drinker and now it has to have something in it. Mio or crystal light. Lemon wedges, if there is plenty of lemon juice. <br><br> Also, once I was feeling so much better, about a week or so after I got back from the hospital, I bent and ripped my scar tissue in my deepest stitch. Be careful. Just because you feel a lot better does not mean to stop taking it easy. Take care of yourself as best you can the first weeks after surgery. <br><br> April

Heyyyyyy April! Ripping that stitch sounds painful oouch! I'm going to message you.

I wish I'd have known I couldn't drink plain Water after surgery. It makes me really nauseous. I was such a water drinker and now it has to have something in it. Mio or crystal light. Lemon wedges, if there is plenty of lemon juice.

Also, once I was feeling so much better, about a week or so after I got back from the hospital, I bent and ripped my scar tissue in my deepest stitch. Be careful. Just because you feel a lot better does not mean to stop taking it easy. Take care of yourself as best you can the first weeks after surgery.

April

I was the same way with the water post op.... Couldn't drink it plain. Now at. 3 months out I am able to drink plain water without the yucky feeling. Good luck

Thanks. I'm hoping it's the same with me

As for things I wished I had known, I can't think of anything I didn't read about or expect. I spent every day on this and other forums and googling everything I could think of before surgery. There was nothing I went through or felt that I hadn't already read about. If anything, I was pleasantly surprised that I was not nauseous, I barely had pain, I had no problems with my incisions, I wasn't hungry, and I wasn't constipated. All the little things like gas pains, having a hard time drinking and getting in all my Protein, feeling fatigued, stalling for a month, things tasting different, and even getting bad diarrhea from a non-VSG related Clostridial infection were all things others had posted about.

I wish I'd have known I couldn't drink plain Water after surgery. It makes me really nauseous. I was such a water drinker and now it has to have something in it. Mio or crystal light. Lemon wedges, if there is plenty of lemon juice. Also, once I was feeling so much better, about a week or so after I got back from the hospital, I bent and ripped my scar tissue in my deepest stitch. Be careful. Just because you feel a lot better does not mean to stop taking it easy. Take care of yourself as best you can the first weeks after surgery. April

Same things for me. Water still makes me feel Ick at 4.5 weeks out and I'm still hurting a little bit from also ripping something in my big incision 9 days out.. Just cause you feel good doesn't meant you're healed. Be careful!

I shall also be having surgery in Julyish. I have joined the gym and upped my Protein :)