Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it necessary to drink protein shakes?

I want to know if it is necessary to drink Protein shakes, can't you get the Protein through food? I am having a hard time with drinking these shakes and I am drinking the premier Protein drinks from costco, not sure I am liking the taste of them.

I hear ya Nana. I used them quite a bit during my pre-op and in the early liquid stages. But as time goes on, I am liking the taste less and less.

And to answer you question. I actually feel it is better for you if you can reach your daily Protein goals without the supplements. I now eat alot of fish, pork, tenderloin steak, turkey, chicken and ham to obtain most of my Protein. Also drink fat free milk, cottage cheese, some eggbeaters, and snack on nuts and Jerky. All good sources of protein.

However, I go to the gym quite a bit and I have gotten accustomed to using Quest power bars to boost my protein and add in some carbs and some much needed Fiber. And I still do drink the occasional premier shake. ;)

Edited by Recycled

Hi, I will be sleeved April 8 -2014, saw my son was a container of muscle milk the other day and i looked at the ingredients which has quite a bit of Protein in it . has anyone tried this I can't really remember what the sugar count was but if this is not too high in sugar does anyone know if we can try this. you guys are scaring me with all the talk of the disgusting taste of Protein Drinks. Lol

If you can eat the recommended amount of Protein no, you don't have to drink the shakes.

For what it's worth...I'm 3.5 months out and still have a shake every morning for breakfast; I can't get all of my Protein from food. I too grew tired of the Premier Protein Shakes and have switched to Syntrax Cookies and Cream.

You didn't say if you are pre op or post op, and that makes a difference. Almost all surgeons require a period pre op when you are to be on a very restricted diet (3 days to several weeks) and during that time most docs want you to get the majority of your Protein from shakes. Not only that, but each surgeon restricts which shakes are acceptable.

Once you're post op, you can get your Protein from whatever source(s) you are allowed according to your surgeon's diet plan - at first it's usually clear liquids only, then full liquids, then pureed foods - each doc has his/her own diet regime.

After you're cleared to eat whatever you can tolerate, THEN it's like Blondiee says - if you can get the recommended amount of protein from food, then you don't have to drink shakes.

Thanks, I was talking post op.

I am pre-op and thanks for all the comments and advise :)

Hi, I will be sleeved April 8 -2014, saw my son was a container of muscle milk the other day and i looked at the ingredients which has quite a bit of Protein in it . has anyone tried this I can't really remember what the sugar count was but if this is not too high in sugar does anyone know if we can try this. you guys are scaring me with all the talk of the disgusting taste of Protein drinks. Lol

Muscle milk as a LOT of sugar in it, even the light ones. I drank a light peach mango one the other day because I couldn't find anything else when I was out. My guidelines say no more than 4 grams of sugar, the light one has 12. It also only had 20 grams of protein, which means I would've had to drink 3 of them to get the recommended 50-60. It all adds up.

I think the Premier ones are the best, because they have 30 grams of protein, which means you only need 2 a day. I am struggling with them though because I'm not a fan of them, but I'm trying.

Hi, I will be sleeved April 8 -2014, saw my son was a container of muscle milk the other day and i looked at the ingredients which has quite a bit of Protein in it . has anyone tried this I can't really remember what the sugar count was but if this is not too high in sugar does anyone know if we can try this. you guys are scaring me with all the talk of the disgusting taste of protein drinks. Lol

Hi. I'm on the eighth too! Good luck! :)

I'm 3 months post-op and I don't drink the nasty things! Can't get them across my lips! Lol!

MGR1852:

If you didn't drink the shakes, what did you do for Protein?

I eat try to eat high Protein foods at every meal. I typically don't get in the 60 grams ( my doc's recommendation) a day but I simply can't do the shakes. After surgery, the taste makes me sick. I would rather not get the correct amount than throw up everyday. I eat baked pork chops, steak, chicken, some lean hamburger. It's worked for me. I've lost 91 pounds since I started this journey and 50 since surgery. Everyone has to do what works for them.

The NUT told me she strongly prefers WLS patients get their Protein from regular fooda and don't continue with the shakes once they are fully healed. I was surprised but she was very clear about her recommendation.