Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumping Question - Caution, kind of gross

I apologize ahead of this post, this is not a pretty post! I have been very lucky regarding dumping. I have had none of the problems I have read here that so many have. However, we went to the Wisconsin Dell's for a few days and on Sunday night I had broiled walleye for dinner. Ate half, felt great. The next morning I got up early to use the treadmill at the hotel we were staying at. Put in 40 minutes, drank Water while exercising, felt great. Walked back to our room to wake the family and get the day started. Hubby got up and went in the bathroom. All of a sudden, I had horrible stomachs cramps. Told hubby that I had an emergency and I was going to need the toilet as soon as he could be done. Went to lay down, thinking that would help. Stomach cramps just kept getting worse. A minute later I realized that I was not going to be able to wait for hubby to be done. Was going to go down the hall and use that restroom. Stood up, and had no control. liquid (diarrhea) just leaked out. Finally got in the bathroom and filled the toilet.

So, here's the question: can dumping happen over something you ate more than ten hours ago? This could have been bad fish (although teenage son ate the other half and was fine), or even though the menu said 'broiled' maybe they used a fat (butter or oil) to broil it in. The fish tasted very good. Though I have not been sick since, my stomach has not felt exactly right since either. I wouldn't think dumping would stay with you. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!!

Carol

In my experience, dumping syndrome feels like nausea. So the urge to launch from both ends goes with it. But dumping syndrome doesn't usually actually produce vomiting or diarrhea with me. I just feel sick until it passes. Sometimes drinking a little Water helps settle the nausea. What you describe sounds like a little food poisoning. I vigorously recommend you call your doctor or on call nurse about it. Please do so now. And don't forget to re-hydrate yourself.

Maybe late-stage dumping? I've never dumped (avoid those foods out of fear) but I've heard of something called late stage dumpling that occurs hours after the fact. Maybe someone can elaborate on this?

You don't have to puke, you don't have to even get nauseous. . It can happen 10 hours later on fat dumping, sugar dumping is different and causes sugar levels to jump up and down and get cold sweats. Fat dumping can happen just like you had it. Dumping is when you put too much fat or sugar in your intestines, , your small intestines can't break it down and when they get too much they have to purge.

Thanks for the posts. I will give my clinic a call. I have never dumped, and like you Terry, I have really avoided anything that could cause it. I thought I would be safe with broiled fish, I have had several types of fish at home, all with no problems. It could have been prepared in a way that added a lot of fat though. I have read about delayed dumping on here. I still wonder if this was actually dumping, or another GI issue (mild food poisoning, stomach flu?). I will see what the clinic says tomorrow.

Thanks!

Carol

I lean to the food poison. . Don't seem like broiled fish has enough fat to cause that

It could absolutely be the fish. In my experience there are a few things I haven't been able to tolerate without explanation. It could have been the amount of food also. I have been ok with certain things but then ate it again in a slightly larger amount and was sick.

I don't know anything about food poisoning so I can't comment on that but I know a little something about dumping. Early stage dumping usually occurs 15 to 30 minutes after eating. Severe diarrhea is one of the common symptoms. Sugar will absorb Water like a sponge. When you eat something with too much sugar and it passes (dumps) rapidly from the pouch into the small intestine, the sugar will absorb Water from the bloodstream through the wall of the small intestine - severe diarrhea.

Late stage dumping usually occurs 1 to 3 hours after eating but can occur as late as 24 hours after eating. Late stage dumping is strongly associated with hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and symptoms include weakness, sweating, shakiness and rapid heartbeat. In severe cases it can even result in passing out.

Your experience really doesn't fit either scenario. If it was early stage dumping the symptoms would almost certainly have occurred much earlier than 10 hours. And late stage dumping is usually not associated with diarrhea. Of course there are always exceptions to every rule and nowhere is that more true than in medicine.

I would be very interested in reading what your doctor thinks about the possible cause or causes.

Hi Dave,

I was able to connect with my clinic today. After describing to them what happened they beleive that it was a hypoglycemic eipisode. We were at a Water park. The night before I had spent in the Water (swimming and playing) and climbing hundreds of stairs to go down water slides. It was a very active weekend. I did not eat anything before working out that morning on the treadmill and I was being very careful about staying on plan so I didn't have an evening snack. She said that latest research that she found on hypoglycemia in bariatric surgery patients does show that some patients experience diarrhea with the episode. They think a combination of the extra activity combined with the limited diet is what brought it on. I had the rapid heartbeat, shakiness and sweating too (which made me think of dumping). Thank you so much for bringing the idea of hypoglycemia to my attention. This is one side effect that I understand is actually relatively common and one that you don't see many people talk about. I will definately be more careful in the future when my activity level is higher than normal. I really don't want a repeat of what happened Monday morning!

Carol

You're certainly welcome Carol and thank you for letting us know what the experts said! About two-thirds of folks who experience dumping have early stage dumping. The remaining one third (including you and I) have late stage dumping. Certainly not life-threatening but very uncomfortable to say the least. I actually proved the passing out in extreme cases part after a stupid indulgence in eggnog with a shot of Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum. Lol. That's another story but take it from me, it can lead to an unscheduled meeting with the floor.

Thanks again for sharing and you guys have a great day!

Baconville, this sounds exactly like when I dumped from eating fried or greasy foods. Everyone is different, however.

Baconville, this sounds exactly like when I dumped from eating fried or greasy foods. Everyone is different, however.

But nothing I ate that day was fried, greasy, or high in sugar. My clinic decided that it was really a hypoglycemic episode. We had been VERY active in the Water park (climbed at least 600 stairs) and then I had gotten up and worked out on the treadmill without eating any Protein first. I had not increased my Protein or calorie intake at all to make up for the added activity. After the workout, my doc felt that my blood surgars just plummeted, which caused a dumping like syndrome, but they felt was completely unrelated to my surgery. They told me that this could happen to anybody that ate very little and was very active - apparently it is known to happen to marathon runners. I have never had another episode like it, but I have not ever reached the same activity level that I did that weekend either. I am also a bit more careful to add a high protein snack if I feel that my activity level is above normal. Just another of the many lessons learned on this journey!

I get nausea from eating sweets AND fatty foods. That's good, because it points me to what I should be eating. It also keeps me from eating what I used to.