Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you PB.... How long after you eat

I am 2 weeks post-op and introduced runny mashed potatoes last night. They like sat in the back of my throat and I kept thinking I hope I don't PB. How long after you eat do you PB if it is going to happen? I waited 45 minutes and then tried to drink to wash them down. If you pass 45 minutes can you consider yourself safe?

Thanks

Wendy ;):)

Hello,

I just started this board. I am having my surgery tomorrow, April 4, any suggestions..How is the pain after surgery? Recovery time.

Thanks for the imput.

Lauren

Hi Wendy, yes 45 minutes is plenty of time. The longest it took me to PB was 5 or 10 minutes. I typically PB right after a meal.

Wendy, I recommend you check with your Doctor. Quite often a true PB will cause your pouch above the band to swell.... my Doc recommends liquids for 24 hrs after the episode, then mushies, then solids.

If it's more like gas, and burping elivates the problem I recommend you stop eating at that point. Chances are you're probably full, and this is your band's way of telling you to stop. A small serving of runny mashed potatoes probably didn't do any harm, just the introduction of something other than liquids probably caused the discomfort.

I'm 18 months out, and I have to remind myself to put small spoon-sized servings on my plate. Otherwise, I'm tempted to clean my plate.. and, I'd much rather feel a bit hungry then spending the next hour leaning over the sink wishing I could get a stuck golf ball out of my chest.

All the best,

Karla

Thanks for the advice.

I didn't PB I just didn't want to be caught off guard. I am just nervous about introducing new foods. Now that I can have more mushies, I just wanted to know how long until I am safe. I do notice when I do eat thicker stuff, I have trouble making it past the first one or two small little bites. It may be more in my head than anything. I keep telling myself "Go slow you don't want to get sick" and that makes me not want to eat anything.

Thanks again

Wendy

Hopefully, your PB's will be very few! I've made it a goal for myself. I've had some "golfballs" but no PBs and I hope it stays that way. If I eat too fast, or too big of bites, or don't chew well...that's the "golfball" feeling time! Bandster life is one of imposed discipline in many ways, which I have welcomed.

Potatoes will 'settle' in the band, due to the density. One of the reasons for the 'no potatoes, no bread, no rice' rule. (Is this rule always followed and do these foods always cause problems? No.)

I didn't know that Potatoes were a problem food. I wonder why they are the list that my Dr told me to incorporate into my diet this week. They so were not worth the worry that they were going to go down ok. Tonight I stuck with blended Soup and it was much better.

Thanks I don't think I'll be having potatoes for a long time.

:)

The best thing to do is a search for slime or slimeing (sp). There are so many variations etc. Not everyone does it and each person may be affected differently. I have never had one or a PB but sometimes I wonder that my PB may not be another bander's PB! Then of course, I don't have restriction yet either. My first fill is next Tuesday.

The one and only PB I've had took about 45 minutes to make a reappearance. I was in plenty of discomfort in the meantime though, sliming and such, not just a "feeling in the back of my throat". I'm not sure that you're safe until that feeling has gone, though. If something's stuck, its stuck and until it comes up, its going to stay stuck.