Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone get a cold/flu post surgery?

I had surgery almost 4 weeks ago and I woke up this morning feeling like someone banged my head against the wall a few times. My head is killing me, this is the worst Migraine I have ever dealt with. I also have a runny nose/eyes, sore throat, and it feels like a slight fever. I talked to my pharmacist and she recommended a sinus pressure/allergy med, I have taken 2 in the last 5 hours and I feel no relief at all. Is this something should I call my PCP or the surgeon?? I just don't want this "cold/flu" to interfere with my recovery from having the sleeve, I haven't been able to drink a lot of fluids today or eat a lot. I don't want to get dehydrated. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I think you should make an appointment with your PCP. I got bronchitis 2 weeks after surgery and was put on an antibiotic and a cough Syrup with codeine. Try to at least get in your fluids, you don't want to get dehydrated. Take care of yourself and feel better soon.

I was feeling like I was coming down with something prior toy surgery back in Dec 2013. I drunk boiled tea bags with apple cider vinegar, honey and lemon. You can also just mix the apple cider vinegar, honey and lemon together like a Syrup. That helped me a lot, it was too close to my surgery date to get meds from my dr. This concoction cleared things up.

I got flu 6 weeks post op ended up in hosp for dehydration. Take everything a little more serious then u did before. Hope u feel better

I was wondering the same thing, thought I was coming down with a cold and wasn't sure what to take since some OTC meds can hurt our sleeve...been drinking lots of fluids and getting plenty of rest. Of course it happens on a weekend when no one is in their office. I was told awhile ago Tylenol is ok to use but not sure about anything else?

Hope you feel better soon!

Edited by onedaycloser

My surgeon told me that over the counter drugs, including Advil and Aleve are ok with the sleeve. It's with the bypass that you can't take these drugs.

Thank you Capecoralmom...wasn't sure.

So just curious, you live in Cape Coral? We visited there a couple of years ago and loved it!!

Caught a pretty bad cold about 3 months out. The liquid Tylenol stuff seemed to help during the worst of it.

Hi Onedaycloser, Yes, we've been here in Cape Coral for 26 years...love it except I still miss family in New Jersey.

At least your not knee deep in snow! I'm in Michigan and it's been a HORRIBLE winter...ugh! Heading to Florida soon for a week, cannot wait.

How long ago did you have surgery? Doing well?