Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

Hi everyone! I can't believe tomorrow is my day. I haven't had to have a very restrictive diet, just Clear Liquids today and nothing after midnight. I don't know how you all are doing the lengthy pre-op...although I envy the weight you've already lost.

I've read a lot of banders saying stay away from the scales. I'm curious as to how often you all are weighing? And for the newly-banded, please tell me you aren't starving...how's the hunger?

I just got my confirmation from the hospital. Now I am really nervous. But you know I am looking forward to chicken and beef broth next week. I can't believe it is almost here. :clap2:

I will be staying at my Mom's the first night but I WANT to drive home (about 45 minutes - freeway) the next day. My Mom is 83 and I don't want her feeling like she has to try to care for me, and I am more comfy in my own home anyway. Could you guys drive the day after (or would you have been ABLE to)? I'd either go the day after or two days after and I am worried because the 3rd day always seems to be the worst. I'd rather just do it and be done....

Hi, Kacee-

Double-check w/Spivak...I think the main thing is not doing it too soon after pain meds. I had sx last Friday and went back to work (drove) on Monday. Very Sore? yes. Bloated? yes. Any physical problems with driving? no. I think it all depends on how you are feeling! Best wishes to you! It's going to be great!

Stacey

Hi everyone! I can't believe tomorrow is my day. I haven't had to have a very restrictive diet, just clear liquids today and nothing after midnight. I don't know how you all are doing the lengthy pre-op...although I envy the weight you've already lost.

I've read a lot of banders saying stay away from the scales. I'm curious as to how often you all are weighing? And for the newly-banded, please tell me you aren't starving...how's the hunger?

Good Luck tomorrow!!! you are lucky not to have a very restrictive diet. It was not fun, yes, the weight loss was great. But you will get there!

I am 2 weeks out today. I have made it a point to only weight myself once a week. Every Wednesday, since that was the day I was banded. As far as the hunger thing, I started mushies today. I had some tuna with a smashed up boiled egg and some FF mayo. It was great. And I am soooo full. So NO I am not starving. I do deal with head hunger some, but that is just part of it. I miss popcorn, like when watching a movie or TV, but have replaced it with SF popcicles.

Again Good Luck tomorrow and joining bandland.

Thanks to all for the info on what to wear home! My problem is that not much fits loose these days.....Even after my pre-op diet, I am not exactly sure where I lost the 11 pounds at?????

Went to the store today to get my liquid tylenol. Not a good idea to go to the store the day before surgery. I was starving! I know it will all be worth it in the end. This time tomorrow I will be out of surgery!

I had my surgery on Monday May 14, I hit a rough patch but doing much better today on day 3. I was really affected by the anesthesia, it made me dizzy and bad nausea. They gave me shots in my IV of Zofran and it did nothing. Everytime they got me to sit up I dry heaved. Finally I got Phenegran in my arm and that did the trick. I got up, walked to the nurses station, I peed, and drank the required Water. I was discharged at 10:30 at night! I was there from 8am -- at least they didn't charge me extra. Once I got home I made a shake and tried to down a liquid tylenol but couldn't stand the taste. I was afraid to take the loratab because I have such a sensitive stomache and the nausea a recent reminder. I went to bed at 11:30 and got up at 1am, 3:30 and 6:30. The Fluid from the IV was making me pee. My whole midsection very sore, rolling over in bed very painful. sleeping sitting up made my neck hurt and the gas was lodged in my left shoulder. The doctor told me that they repaired a hernia above my diaphram -- I forgot to thank her. Yesterday was my most painful. Taking cat naps wherever I was comfortable. Putting a pillow over my tummy and adding slight pressure felt good and ice behind my neck helped also. By late yesterday I discovered that 3 teaspoons of liquid tylenol in a small juice glass dilutes the meds and I could sip that. Later at bedtime I did that with the loratab. I first had a few sips of my shake, then the watered down loratab. No stomach upset and I slept the whole night. Walking this morning has been "almost" pain free! AS everyone says, each day does get better. I'm still in my nightgown, maybe tomorrow I will get the sweats on and can have visitors -- I want to see my children. Thats my story. Best wishes for Wednesday and Thursday. Hugs,

Dutchgrl59-

So glad that all went well with your surgery. I had a hernia repaired also. Each day get better, just take care of yourself.

Boy, this thread is getting interesting!! It's great to see the transitions everyone is making, from the pre-op stages, to the surgery, to post-op! What a great group!

I wish everyone getting banded this week the BEST of luck! I know you'll do great!

I have a question for those of you on the "other side!" I am in the mushy stage right now (was banded by Dr. Spivak on 5-11). What are you eating?? I'm not a big Protein Drink fan, but will drink them if I need to (I get full on them really fast, and the only reason I drink them is to get the protein...therefore I don't get much Protein because I can't drink them all!) I know how important protein is at this point, but Dr. Spivak's instructions said to eat things of baby food consistency, ie pudding, yogurt, Jello, Soups, etc. He also said NO meat (yes, it was in caps!). But, do you think that means no solid meats? ? Like would a blended meat be ok?? He said fish is ok, and I tried that today...NOT GOOD! I ate about 4-5 bites (the size of a 1/2 dollar), and the pain was pretty intense. I felt sharp, gassy pains in my stomach within 4-5 minutes, and had to stop. I even felt a little nauseous, but just burped a little gas, and that ended. I guess I'm not ready for that type of food yet.

It's funny...I can eat hot and sour Soup with NO PROBLEMS! Maybe because the food in it is chopped up fine. It seems heavy to me, but I guess it really isn't. It has lots of tofu and egg whites in it, so I know the protein is good.

Anyway, does anyone have any good advice for the mushy stage?? I did a search for recipes and have gotten some good ones, but oftentimes they contain meat (that is blended). I'm confused!

:help: I know I am supposed to get lots of protein in, but how?? Jello and pudding just doesn't cut it...I start to get hungry now, and I know the protein will help.

Please let me know if any of you have any ideas. Maybe we should publish an A-MAY-zing Bandsters Cookbook and make a fortune!

Thoughts and prayers to everyone getting banded today and tomorrow! YOU WILL DO GREAT!!

:(

Oh my Lord, the headaches. I can't seem to get rid of them. Any advice would be great. Not sure if it is from the surgery or my sinuses. HELP!!! Not too mention I am having a hard time getting comfortable laying, sitting, etc. I feel like I am being a pain the arse right now, but not sure what I should do. I tried the heating pad, my recliner, my bed, couch, when will I start feeling better????

Oh my Lord, the headaches. I can't seem to get rid of them. Any advice would be great. Not sure if it is from the surgery or my sinuses. HELP!!! Not too mention I am having a hard time getting comfortable laying, sitting, etc. I feel like I am being a pain the arse right now, but not sure what I should do. I tried the heating pad, my recliner, my bed, couch, when will I start feeling better????

I was banded on May 9th and it took me a good 5 days to start feeling better. Now I'm back at work and feeling pretty much normal except for a few burning pains every now and then. Good luck!

I was banded on May 9th and it took me a good 5 days to start feeling better. Now I'm back at work and feeling pretty much normal except for a few burning pains every now and then. Good luck!

Thanks ShayDee, maybe day 5 will be my lucky number too. I can only hope!

Okay, I need a quick opinion. I start my mushie stage tomorrow. The doc said yogurt, mashed potatoes, bananas, applesauce, soft fish, etc. My question is, what do you consider soft fish? To me that implies anything flaky, so now swordfish, shark, etc. But, would tuna be a soft fish?

Thanks ShayDee, maybe day 5 will be my lucky number too. I can only hope!

Oww, I sure hope you feel better soon, I'm so sorry you are not feeling good.. :( I'm glad you went through with it though, you will love your band.:clap2:

I will be staying at my Mom's the first night but I WANT to drive home (about 45 minutes - freeway) the next day. My Mom is 83 and I don't want her feeling like she has to try to care for me, and I am more comfy in my own home anyway. Could you guys drive the day after (or would you have been ABLE to)? I'd either go the day after or two days after and I am worried because the 3rd day always seems to be the worst. I'd rather just do it and be done....

You know we have the same surgeon I'm not sure but if we will be the same but the 2nd day was the worst for me. I could though drive on the 3rd drive with no problem. Hope this helps