Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

MY SURGERY FOR TOMORROW WAS CANCELLED DUE TO MY DR. BECOMING ILL. I WILL HOPEFULLY RECEIVE A NEW DATE TOMORROW BUT IT MAY BE IN JUNE!! HOPEFULLY NEXT WEEK. WHAT A TERRIBLE DISSAPOINTMENT TO RECEIVE THE PHONE CALL TODAY CANCELLING FOR TOMORROW. I AM VERY DEPRESSED.:faint:

deb24,

I am SO sorry to hear you have been postponed. I can imagine that is depressing. I have found in my life (too many times to ignore it) that everything happens for the best. No matter how horrible it seems at the time, there is a reason. It may never be revealed to you, but there is a reason. *hugs*

Tomorrow morning is my follow-up appointment with my Dr. It will be 10 days since surgery and I haven't weighed since they checked me into the hospital on the 14th. I'm excited to find out how much I've lost, but I'm not expecting any outrageous change. I don't want to be disappointed. Anyway, tomorrow afternoon I'll be back here to change my ticker. Wish me luck! :-)

As always, I'll be thinking good thoughts for those who were recently banded and who will be banded shortly. *hugs*

GOOD LUCK TMORROW:scared:

MY SURGERY FOR TOMORROW WAS CANCELLED DUE TO MY DR. BECOMING ILL. I WILL HOPEFULLY RECEIVE A NEW DATE TOMORROW BUT IT MAY BE IN JUNE!! HOPEFULLY NEXT WEEK. WHAT A TERRIBLE DISSAPOINTMENT TO RECEIVE THE PHONE CALL TODAY CANCELLING FOR TOMORROW. I AM VERY DEPRESSED.:faint:

Chin Up! All things happen for a reason. As long as you get a new date and that your going to be banded that's all that matters:o

You guys inspired me to try on some of my capris today. I pulled two because they looked rediculously big and most of them fit well. Ten more pounds and my 20's will be to big. I tried on my 18's but they were to tight in the waist (still swollen) I was shocked they fit on my hips and huge thighs. I have plenty of clothes till I reach a 14. I'm 5'10'' so I'm thinking when I get to size 12 I can buy,buy,buy!

I totally over did it today. Started to get the cold sweats in the grocery store but I felt soooo bad for my family that they didn't have hardly any food in the house. i had to come home and rest for two hours. The store loaded them for me and my kids unloaded and put it all away. Yea kids!

I never got the barium swallow so that might be why I was plugged up so long but things are moving daily so I'm good. My doc doesn't allow any dairy the first month so that might have something to do with it too. I have to say though that I did make some SF, FF pudding today and took a few bites. Sinful but yummy. I just couldn't take another broth. i called the doc and asked if I could start on my Protein Shakes and they said no. I told them I was lightheaded from the lack of calories and they said it was probably low blood sugar and to have some apple juice. You think!!!!! Everything I've had for 3 weeks is sugar free!!!

Okay, if I have to drink another Protein Shake or broth, I will vomit! Someone brought over fresh grilled hamburgers for my family to eat. Yummy, I seriously thought about throwing one of those bad boys in the blender. Today is day 7 post op, get a little angry about food. I went and bought some light grape juice to have with crushed ice as my treat. My how times have changed! I feel good-recovery wise. Just getting a bit "crabcake" like!

I sooooo hear ya'. I am soo happy to be moving on to mushies today! I just had some mashed T's w/a little gravy very watered down, but YUMMY!!! I couldn't eat very much but it was good. Anything that goes through a straw, but don't use a straw...I'm READY!!!

Okay I did the barium swallow and was still stopped up for 7 days. UGHHHHH!! I did finally go today! I just hope I can stay regular from now on.

I did some research.............The book is called "Fighting Weight" by Khaliah Ali , it comes out 6-1-07. You can preorder on Amazon for about $20. It is about how lap band changed her life. She was 330 at her high and 270 when she got the band. Now she is 170 I think. She has had it for 3 years. I am buying it! It will probably be really encouraging.

FaithMD,

Do you have any more information, or know where I can get more about that new AP band thats coming out next month? I believe that's the one I just got, but I can't find any info on it online..

Hey ! I finally found my link to this thread or forum.....

I was banded on the 17th at NWWLS in Everett,WA. Wenjea and I are bandmates, and I see a few more here too!

So much info and I can't believe everyone has such a different experience. I was an outpatient, in at 7:15 and on my way home by Noon. I have not had a whole lot of pain, mainly uncomfortable more than anything. I went to work for 4 hours on Monday, 7 on Tues and a full day today. I am TIRED of sitting up, but today was the most comfortable I have been. I am taking the pain meds at night to sleep REALLY good. I am even calling in my refill! I wish I could have a drip of Delaudin each night to zone out. I had told the nurse I was doing this for the good drugs after and she laughed. Too bad it took a week to poop! I was about to call in the dreaded ....can't even say it. Good thing the M.O.Mag. worked.

My Dr. subscribes to the straw rule for 2 weeks and then mush for 2 and then regular. Mush includes soft chicken and fish too. I am ready now. For some reason I thought that I could mash a burrito supreme enough to eat tonight and bought one with my pintos & cheese. FOOL. I tried to chew the insides of the burrito for one SMALL bite really really good and got a warning that I was insane. I packed it up and came home to add sauce and FF Sour Cream to the Beans and went on my merry way. I have taken the progresso chix noodle w/ egg noodles and blendered it and then fixed stove top stuffing and added about a 1/2 C extra of chix broth and then blended it with my Braun thing. Mixed together they will come through a straw. I was told a big McDonalds type one....DELICIOUS. Other than that I have found the grape Propel tastes like ice cubes made from koolaid after you suck on them. I haven't tried another flavor. I am planning on some Crystal Light and then making some of the SF Snapple tea. I need to be better hydrated. Seems at work I was not drinking hardly anything. Guess it was not my old Pepsi..........

Hi guys! Kacee here checking in post-op on surgery day! Was at the hospital (Park Plaza, Houston) this morning at 6:30. They put me in my room to wait and I fell sound asleep. They came in to take my BP and it was 85/44 which left them blinking and saying "Man, you really ARE unconcerned about this procedure, aren't you!" After taking it several times on several machines my highest reading was 110/69 which made them happier and said it wouldn't give the anesthetist a heart attack....haha. Found out that Dr. Spivak WAS going to use the low-profile port which I had asked the staff if I could get. Things went smoothly and the operation was at about 10:20. Dr. Spivak was lovely as usual and his med-support staff were outstanding and understanding. It was "bouncy" in the pre-op room with three of us yakking our heads off with the nurses (who played show-and-tell and showed us where their ports are, which was neat).

Discomfort initially, but only in shoulder area which then went to my neck in recovery (I'll say about an 8 in pain). They shot me full of wonderful drugs in recovery and I was a happy camper. Back to my room around 2:00 or so to sleep on and off. Had Jello, ice tea, Water, popscicle and marched around the floor several times (they kept saying "SLOW DOWN! This isn't a race!" Pre-requisite for leaving was a nice healthy PEE which I could not muster. They kept filling me with saline bags in my IV to no avail, until I was feeling like Tweedle Dum from Alice in Wonderland bouncing around like a big bubble. The nursescalled Dr. S. about 6:00 we alternated walking me around (NO PROBLEM) and sitting on the potty with running water, etc (all the little tricks of the trade to get me to go). Nothing. Finally decided to cathetherize me about 8:00. Use a straight cath...got it in okay but nothing happened which left four nurses scratching their heads. Finally decided to use a Foley and there it came. A lovely 500 cc's for them (Dr. S. required 300cc's for me to leave). Been home in bed for a while. Taking my meds PROACTIVELY because I can feel the stiffness coming on as it wears off. The incision site feels FANTASTIC. NOTHING like what I expected (nothing like when I had my appendix out years ago). The only really obnoxious part of the day was the catheterization, and it payed off with instant relief for my bladder. All in all I am about 200% better than I ever thought I would be post-surgery!!!!

I'm glad it is going so well for you Kacee! Hope it continues with no gas pain. Mine hit the 5th day but only for a day and nothing to awful. Happy healing!

I have a question...you all are talking about pooping and what a big milestone. :) But I have diarrhea...does that happen too? And when is it gonna get better??? ugh.

BTW...I love this board! Where else could I ask this?!?!?!?

I had diarrhea also. It got better when I started on mushies. I have no more problems with it now.

Congrats on being banded.

You guys inspired me to try on some of my capris today. I pulled two because they looked rediculously big and most of them fit well. Ten more pounds and my 20's will be to big. I tried on my 18's but they were to tight in the waist (still swollen) I was shocked they fit on my hips and huge thighs. I have plenty of clothes till I reach a 14. I'm 5'10'' so I'm thinking when I get to size 12 I can buy,buy,buy!

I totally over did it today. Started to get the cold sweats in the grocery store but I felt soooo bad for my family that they didn't have hardly any food in the house. i had to come home and rest for two hours. The store loaded them for me and my kids unloaded and put it all away. Yea kids!

I never got the barium swallow so that might be why I was plugged up so long but things are moving daily so I'm good. My doc doesn't allow any dairy the first month so that might have something to do with it too. I have to say though that I did make some SF, FF pudding today and took a few bites. Sinful but yummy. I just couldn't take another broth. i called the doc and asked if I could start on my Protein Shakes and they said no. I told them I was lightheaded from the lack of calories and they said it was probably low blood sugar and to have some apple juice. You think!!!!! Everything I've had for 3 weeks is sugar free!!!

I was told to NOT have sf, ff stuff for the first week. You need the sugar. I thought that it would be better, too. That way I wouldn't be taking in empty calories, but for the first week it's not about weight lost, it's about healing. Can you check with your dr. and make sure that you should have sugar.

It's amazing how different the drs. are and what schedules and menus they give us.

Take it easy

Good question, I think mine is still swollen (i'm 2 weeks post op) of course I still tell people it's swollen from my last pregnancy (2+ years ago)... LOL :clap2:

HAHA... yeah, I was still trying to tell people I had baby fat to lose.... and my daughter just turned 12 in March!!! HAHA!