Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

Hey...my mom told me about Muhammed Ali's daughter...she was on Good Morning America this morning talking about the gastric band she got. She has written a book about her experience...there is an excerp on Good Morning America website.

I am 11 days post surgery, and honestly, I feel completely normal. I have no pain at all, unless I take too big of a drink of Water. There really isn't pain, just some of the shoulder discomfort again. I have hunger now, but find that I am satisfied with just a little bit of yogurt, oatmeal, etc. I HAVE cheated some though (ice cream goes down pretty easily...UGH). I need to get a fill SOON...I can see why this period is frustrating for people. I feel that I can eat more solid foods, but resist because I am supposed to be on mushies for 4 weeks. I have lost 11 pounds since surgery, which is good, but it has slowed down a lot...I haven't lost anything in the past 3-4 days. I know a lot of that was water weight, but I feel like I should be losing because I am eating SO MUCH LESS than I ever did before. Oh well...I just keep plugging along!!

Thanks to all for the posts...I learn so much from everyone, and feel like I have my own little support group! Y'all are great!

Good luck to those who are still being banded this month...just think...in several weeks we will all be talking about how much we are LOSING!!!!!!!

WOO-HOO!!

Hi everyone,

Good luck today to all having surgery. Back to the shoulder pain. I noticed that after my son's baseball games that the pitcher's run laps. Somehow that helps work out any pitching shoulder problems. I'm a nurse but don't know the physiology of that. Anyway. I was in agony yesterday and after I took that pretty agressive walk, the pain was gone. Well whatever the physiology is it works. Try it.

Laurie

Hi Everyone,

I am 2 days post-op and doing pretty good! Not a lot of pain, just discomfort. On the day of surgery, I got up every hour and walked about 15 minutes (just around the house). I sipped and sipped, too. Yesterday, I actually went to Wal-mart with sis-in-law, that really helped move the gas.

I have an appt with the dr. tomorrow. I think I might get a few hunger pains, but they hurt, so it might just be gas. Other than that it's been pretty easy.

I hope everyone else who has crossed to bandland are doing great!

I pooped!!! some of you don't yet know how exciting that is but since it's been a really long while, I'm excited! I also walked a mile today. I didn't have shoulder pain until today and it was when I was walking that I got the sharp pains under my shoulder blades. It can take your breath away! I came home and laid on my heating pad for a while and things are good again. The only pain is on my port side now. Everyday things are getting better!

Hey, Wenjea, it looks like we really are band-sisters. I had my first BM yesterday, too (Yay!)..and I thought I'd escaped the gas pain pretty easily and then yesterday BAM... some pretty intense pain. Are you still pretty swollen? I still feel pretty swollen in my upper abdomen, and I'm tired a lot, not much energy.

I got a little discouraged this morning...

Yesterday I got down my summer clothes from last year... and this morning I had a chance to try them on... they just fit... I thought they would have been big on me by now. I know I'm only beginning this journey, but for whatever reason...that really got me down today.

Hey...my mom told me about Muhammed Ali's daughter...she was on Good Morning America this morning talking about the gastric band she got. She has written a book about her experience...there is an excerp on Good Morning America website.

Is this the one who is on Dancing with the Stars? I keep getting pulled into watching that show and I think she is beautiful. She made a remark about self-confidence next to those other "tiny"dancers etc and to be honest, she has NOTHING to worry about she has them all beat, she is a beautiful strong woman who has as much grace and agility and she isn't even a professional dancer...anyway, it may be another daughter, but just wanted to get that off of my chest....I also have a little crush on her partner Maksim...he's a doll and a little bit of a goofball which I find quite endearing. :)

ontheway - it does get better but takes a few days so give yourself time. Day 4 was the turn-a-round day for me. Day 5 and 6 were making me glad I did it. This is day 7 and I'm actually going to try driving. Go slow and it will be okay. Good luck!

lisaM - I am definately swollen still but it is getting better everyday. I wore jeans with a belt for a little while but when I sat down it was just to painful so as soon as I got home I changed back into a loose waist. That shoulder pain can be intense! I thought I had managed to escape it but on day 6 it was there. Hope that is all of it. Have you had the hiccups yet? That's fun!

Melissa O - I was thinking I would go through my closet today too. I have put on some things that I would of thought should of been to big but they weren't. Goes to show you how tight we were wearing our clothes before. You would think 30 pounds would make a difference but it just made everything comfortable.

does anyone have six insicions? I was reading that most people have 4 small and one large but I have 5 small ones and 1 port one. I'm wondering why?!

I was just reading that too. I guess I am the winner because I have 7!!!!

I had 4 two weeks ago for my gall bladder so I am full of holes! It will all be worth it in the end.

Maureen

Wenjea- I knew my clothes were tight before so I don't really know what I was expecting... I even put on my fav. pair of jeans from 2 years ago just to see how far I'd get into them.. I was able to pull them up over my rear but that was about it.

... I'm going to the beach for the weekend just to get away... a "girls weekend"... which is what I think I really need right now... so, hopefully I'll come back with a little more positive outlook...

Why couldnt they have scheduled my surgery for in the morning? This waiting for the afternoon to get here is killing me. I am so thirsty and hungry. Lastnight I had to put my kids Happy Meals in the trunk so I wouldnt eat their fries. Come on clock tick faster!!!!!

It's tomorrow for me!!!

Did anyone else "nest" I've gotten so much done in the last few days. wish I could be that prductive everyday. Yesterday I cleaned my office at work and cleaned and re-arranged my spare room/office...it will be my get away when i need a little peace & quiet.

I'm ready now! I have to go in 8:00AM, but I think I'm not scheduled until latter in the day, not looking forward to waiting around at the hospital.

Wenjea-Thanks for the note of encouragement. I actually didn't take any pain meds after 10 p.m. last night and got a pretty good nights sleep - so much better than in the hospital! That helped tremendously. I got up this morning and walked around the house and did some minor chores. After an hour, my back was killing me again so I retreated to the couch and took an hour nap on the heating pad. Just what I needed! Looking forward to a couple more days to pass so the gas will too. teehee :)

I feel like I'm starving all the time now and I'm still only in liquids phase only. Does anyone know if cottage cheese or yogert would be ok to introduce to my system know. I need something to sure the hunger for a little while atleast. Slimfast shakes are not cutting it...