Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Susan's Solemn Silliness

Last night - watched the show on TLC - Brookhaven OBesity Centre. Yup, no cheating last night for sure. Has anyone else seen it? I can imagine myself, if my life were somewhat different being in that same situation. I have LOTS of issues with how they run that clinic, but I do hope that people who see the show will have more compassion for the morbidly obese and a little more understanding of food addiction.

Last night - watched the show on TLC - Brookhaven OBesity Centre. Yup, no cheating last night for sure. Has anyone else seen it? I can imagine myself, if my life were somewhat different being in that same situation. I have LOTS of issues with how they run that clinic, but I do hope that people who see the show will have more compassion for the morbidly obese and a little more understanding of food addiction.

I have watched 3 episodes of that show, and I have to say that I am sick of it. It does nothing to help the plight of the super obese. I you ask me, many of the people on that show just defiant and the clinic is a big joke. They are allowed to cheat, the head physician does not believe in WLS and from what I have seen there is very little in the way of addiction counselling for these people. It just looks like a warehouse for the superobese where they are able to do what ever the hell they want. If you look at the rate of "relapse" it seems to be almost 100%. Why dont they try to get some real help for these people.

At first I had sympathy for these people, but now when I see them milling about the front door waiting for thier take out i get frustrated. That Dr. that is in charge of the place is out to lunch. You dont see the Betty Ford clinic allow drug addicts and alcoholic to order out for more drugs/booze?

I am looking forward to the show Big Medicine which starts monday on TLC. It is about Dr.s who perform WLS.

Andrew

I totally agree with you Andrew - they suck at running that program.

I hope Big Medicine profiles the band as well as bypass. I also reawlly hope they do a good and balanced job of it!

I haven't heard of this Big Medicine show but I will look it up. I have watched the brookhaven thing and was not impressed either.

Susan did you get your Unjury yet. I got caught at customs. I bought 3 cans but the duty was only $8.64. I can't say I like the vanilla. I had it with strawberries this am and it was hard to swallow. I am a chocolate girl for sure.

My first fill is on June 11 at 9:30. I don't know if I'm scared of the real thing or what. I don't think I eat that much now but thinking that it will be even less is worrisome. I had a mini pb from toast and tuna. Not very nice.

HI: I didn't see the show, but I do know that only the affected watch these programs. Anyone that does not have a weight problem don't bother to turn it on. I often think "thin" people won't watch these programs because they might find out they have a predjudice against obese people. Health authorities in this province are only now just getting the message about WLS and still will only promote gastric bypass. They stubbornly refuse to acknowledge the band. Seems all they think of is "exercise and control your food intake". It is obvious of their ignorance but what can one do other than continue to praise the band to their doctors. Mine is finally realizing the band is a viable weight control tool . there may be light at the end of the tunnel. Doddie

Hey Donn D - no Unjury yet. I emailed them and said I would wait until Tuesday. They were very nice. If you got yours, then I am hoping mine will comein in a few days.

Doddie- very good points about weight prejudice.

Ditto, Andrew. I'm looking forward to Big Medicine, too, but I'm worried about the picture they will paint of WLS. I'm hoping it's not grouped amongst all these plastic surgery, vanity induced fluff pieces.

It has been a long time since I wrote on this thread - not much to report I guess, until this morning when talking to a friend I had an AHA moment.

Since mushies and now solids, I have not lost any weight - pretty much maintaining my loss pre and just post op. I have not always made the healthiest choices and having no restriction I can eat as I did before surgery; which I have been doing. I have been feeling terrible about it.

Berating myself everyday. "Why can't you get your eating under control"? "You paid $16K for this band and you are wasting it". Then of course I feel so miserable that I am turning to my buddy food for comfort. Nice cycle of destructive thoughts and behaviours.

This morning I finally realized that the reason I got the band was to help me deal with those exact same issues!!!! Hello!!!

I do not have a fill yet, have no restriction so I am the same person I was before surgery. I am NOT a failure, I am just me with my issues around food and my TOOL is not fired up yet! AHA!!!! I will be gentler on myself from now on, but that does not mean I won't try to make better choices.

Hi Susan!

I just read ur journal. Its kinda interesting because I get to read ur journey in fast forward. For you I am sure it felt like it was going in slow motion. It has been really helpful!

I am on day 3 of my full fluids and its not really that fun. NOO way has there been any cheating as I am scared to death (like you were) that I could do damage to the band. I look at tv commercials and I I think "1 bite, I just want 1 bite" Have you ever noticed when you cant have food how much more you notice it.

Everything people have said on ur thread is sooo how I feel. All I think about is food right now. Like I could the hours down till the next meal/snack. Now I am off for the week. Maybe time will go alot faster once I get back to work on Friday.

I went through the phase (just yesterday actually) thinking ohhh maybe my portions are a bit to big....whats going to happen!?!?!

I drool soo when I read people reciepes for mushed food..can you beleive that!?!? Ask me when I get to that stage if I am drooling then lol.

I guess I then come to the mind frame "you have no other choice:...theres no options other than what is written on the diet they gave me. Thats what kinda gets me through it.

I do not enjoy post op though! Looking forward to actually eating food...no matter how small of a bite lol!!!.

Miranda - you are doing great. I can now agree when everyone told me that this was the hardest part - Post op. Full fluids was hard, because I was definitely healing and hungry. I found that the Gardennay Soups or the cream soups I was able to get at work really helped when I put in hot sauce (I like spicy food), because although there was not much texture, I did get alot of flavour. Hang in there - you are not that far now.

Its amazing how food can have such a powerful hold on us. When I was in my 30s I decided to go to professional cooking school because I felt that food was my enemy and I wanted it to be my friend. The point being that I no longer think of food as "bad" but that it is certainly an addictive substance for me!

Monday is my first fill and I will talk to the clinic staff - got all the support I need and go bravely forward!

Hey Susan, Twenty five pounds down! Yay.:clap2:

I think I have seen one of the shows on the Brookhaven nursing home. It was really sad and scary to watch.

Susan, I have decided to share the title of Shayna Punim with you.:( There is room enough in this town for the two of us.:biggrin1: Susannah

Hey Susan, Twenty five pounds down! Yay.:clap2:

I think I have seen one of the shows on the Brookhaven nursing home. It was really sad and scary to watch.

Susan, I have decided to share the title of Shayna Punim with you.:( There is room enough in this town for the two of us.:biggrin1: Susannah

Shayna - you are the best, I will add it to my sig when I have a moment!

What does Shayna Punim mean? My father was Jewish but not my mother and I was raised as an atheist except for the period when I was put in a boarding school which was run by nuns. And they did that because I was a trouble-maker!

What does Shayna Punim mean? My father was Jewish but not my mother and I was raised as an atheist except for the period when I was put in a boarding school which was run by nuns. And they did that because I was a trouble-maker!

How come I have no trouble believing that you were a trouble maker Green! LOL Shayna Punim means pretty face. This was my nickname since I was a baby and when I say Susannah's signature I couldn't believe it! I pmed her immediately and now she has graciously offered to share!

Susan