Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many days off work?

I'm impatiently awaiting my insurance approval, and in the meantime I've landed an interview for my dream job which means I may have a very small window of time to get the surgery with my current insurance.

Is it unrealistic to expect to have the surgery on Thursday and return to my desk job on Monday? How many days did you take off work for the initial recovery?

Hi Futureformerfattie, what are you having for a surgery? I am having a bypass and my surgery is on a Wednesday and I am only taking Wed. - Fri off and going back Monday? I had the Band back in 2010, and I had it on a Thursday and stayed out the whole next week, but I didn't need to, I could have gone back to work on that following Monday? If I still am not feeling well after the weekend, I might take one or two more days but I doubt it. Well Good luck and I hope you get your surgery in time!!! I would talk to your doctor and tell him your situation and let him know you don't want to roll over.

I'm having Lapband. My surgeons office is aware of the situation but they refuse to schedule me before they get insurance approval.

Fingers crossed I get approved in time!

My suggestion??? Call your insurance company, and ask them when did the paper work get submitted? it shouldn't take too long to get it back? I kept bugging my insurance company about mine. I got the answer before my surgeons office.

My experience with Lap Band surgery was my third day post-op was the worst, but after that I was fine. If you have a desk job I would say you should be okay to return to work on Monday if your surgery is on a Thursday.

Just make sure you have some things to make yourself comfortable while you're at work. Maybe a pillow for your chair and some gas-x if needed and your some Motrin if you need it.

Let us know how your journey goes.

Best Wishes!

Everyone is different. I took a few extra days off but it quite concievable that you would be okay to return to work on Monday. I've known many people to have the surgery on a Thursday or Friday & go back to work on Monday.

I had surgery this Monday and I'm going back to work tomorrow. I've been lucky and haven't had any pain at all from the incisions or gas. I think I would go stir crazy if I had to stay home one more day. I think it's really up to what you feel like you can handle.

To be honest, I have a desk job and I needed a full week. I had my surgery on a Wednesday, I felt a lot better by Saturday and went to work on Monday...mistake. I was not ready for sitting up for more than a few hours and had to go back home at lunch time. I went back the next day and I was almost able to make it the whole day...but by Wednesday, I was completely ready.

I had the surgery last Thursday, and thought I could go back on Monday... Sunday night, I decided to wait until Tuesday. I went in yesterday morning, and had to have a coworker drive me home because I was in so much pain. However, I haven't taken a pain pill since yesterday morning, and I am feeling much better today! I expect to go back tomorrow without any problems.

Some people can go back quickly, some can't... I hope that you can though. Good luck with your interview!!

My surgery is on the 3rd of April which is a Thursday. I am off Thursday Friday and Sundays, I have decided not to return to work until the 15th because of how my job is. I work at a desk, but it's super micromanaged,and I do not need the stress of bored supervisors. I. Addition to that, I have seen the agony people are in when they return to work three days post op, I would rather be in my Jammies at home than a monkey suit at work in pain and dealing with crabby clients.

If you have the time - definitely take it. I had surgery on Friday and returned to a desk job on Tuesday. I did ok but for the first week - all I did was work, when I came home from work I was done. My husband and kids helped out at home during that time. After about a week I was fine.

Edited by jamilyne 102668

Yes, I have plenty of vacation and sick time available to me.

Pretty - that's great! Just use the extra time - I know you will do wonderful!

I am doing the band and plicationon the 7th and plan on being out for two weeks. Unfortunately my job is very physical and they do not employees to come back with light duty.

I am doing the band and plicationon the 7th and plan on being out for two weeks. Unfortunately my job is very physical and they do not allow employees to come back with light duty.