Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port site infection

How Are You Doing With Your New Port ? I Just Got My Port Remove 3 Weeks Ago And I Continue To Have Infection I Am Having A Green Discharge Oozing Trough My Incision I Am Taking Antibiotics Hoping This Clears Up Soon.

Tomorrow is my big consult so I've been absorbing info like Water from this message board but find it increasingly more difficult to locate negative information about the Band here. This seems more like a Positive People Posting Place. Maybe do Internet searches for more coverage on infections?

I am doing fine with my new port. No new problems (knock on wood). I ahve lost quite a dramatic amount of weight which I am happy about. But it was hellish going through those 2 extra surgeries on being on antibiotics for what seemed like forever. But the end result of weight loss makes me happy. Good luck to those of you dealing with infection issues.

I was banded on Monday 11/26 and my port site was very red and hot to the touch. The doctor said it was an infection and started me on liquid 875 augmentem. I have to go back on Monday for them to check it again. I'm scared, they said if the infection gets worse they will remove the band.

They shouldnt have to remove the whole band, just the port if it is indeed infected. Sounds pretty early on for an infection. If infected, it would appear to have been from the surgical process as opposed to mine which was the result of a fill. Good luck to you.

I have not had a new port put in. I planned to have surgery during the summer and 2 days before surgery, the infection started drying up. I stayed on antibiotics all summer and so far the infection has not come back. My infectious disease doctor said he would not recommend having it adjusted. Poking the port with a needle might cause the infection to come back. I sometimes think about having another port put in on the other side so I can start all over again. But the thought of 2 surgeries scares me too much. I sometimes think I'd rather be fat than go through surgery again twice. I also don't know if the band will work for me. I am a total food addict. Even with the band I still eat. I was banded exactly 1 year ago this month, and I have only lost about 25 lbs. I joke with my mom and husband that I'm probably the only person that had weight loss surgery and I'm still fat. Anyway, some days I want to try again with a new port and other days I just want to have this thing taken out of me.

What your first symptoms of a port infection? I was banded five weeks ago and had have had no complications.

Although I have no drainage, fever or extreme pain. My port is now very sore, tender and warm to the touch. Around the port area I have a small red blotch on top of the skin that was not there before and the area is also very sore to the touch.

These symptoms are all new....I do not want to go the ER it is 50 bucks co pay...and in this area the ER means waiting for five hours.

I am thinking to wait until Monday AM to call surgeon? I also took Tylenol last night, however, no change.

I

I have had 2 infections. The first was about 10 days after surgery. The incision started oooozzzing. The 2nd was about 5 months after surgery. The port area became very red and swollen and was hot to touch. It was not painful. I would call your surgeon now and tell him your symptoms. He can easily prescribe an antibiotic over the phone.

My doctors put me on liquid Augmentum 875 - 3 1/2 teaspoons twice a day. It's a bit much to take but it beats crushing the pills and taking them. My port was red & hot to the touch, it's much better now and I started the medicine on Thursday Night. If you think you have an infection you shouldn't wait. Good Luck.

I was banded on Monday 11/26 and my port site was very red and hot to the touch. The doctor said it was an infection and started me on liquid 875 augmentem. I have to go back on Monday for them to check it again. I'm scared, they said if the infection gets worse they will remove the band.

If your port is infected, why would they remove the band? Usually (it's different for each person so this may or may not apply to you) they remove the port, bury the tubing in the gut, and wait for the infection to resolve. Then later they replace the port and often times put it on the other side.

Give the meds time to work. Try not to worry until it is time to worry.

I sometimes think about having another port put in on the other side so I can start all over again. But the thought of 2 surgeries scares me too much. I sometimes think I'd rather be fat than go through surgery again twice.

Mama, why? Replacing a port doesn't even have to be done with general anesthesia. It can be done with a local, IOW they numb you up and do it. It's not surgery like getting banded, it's merely the dreaded port pain.

You came this far, go the rest of the distance!

Did Your Tubing Come Out Clear From Infections? I Had My Port Remove About 4 Weeks Ago And I Am Still Having Problems With My Incision I Am Still Draining A Yellowish Liquid. Luckily I Have No Pain Or Fever But I Still Worried About This Infection Not Clearing Up. How Long Afther Your Port Was Removed Did Your Infection Clear? For Now I Am Taking 2 Diffrent Types Of Antibioticts I Guess I Just Have To Wait And See What Comes Next.

I went to see my doc yesterday for my post-op exam and he immediately said that my port site is infected. It's red and sore but I would've never known that it was infected.

He put me on Keflex three times a day and said that if it doesn't clear up by Friday morning he is going to admit me into the hospital so they can administer antibiotics through an IV. I'm praying it clears up before then.

My boyfrienfd had his lapband removed yesterday due to erosion. He needs to stay overnight tonight, they have advised him he has MRSA. Would you happen to know anything about this...we are all very worried.

MRSA is nothing to laugh about, it can potentially be quite dangerous. I'd do a LBT and Google search of MRSA and learn everything you can about it.

May I ask if he is newly banded? Did he get the infection from a fill? WTH happened?

Those of you with port infections should get 2nd opinions because a lot of LapBand surgeons believe 100% of infected ports lead to erosion within 18 months.